The bedding on NH is terrible..

Old Dec 15, 17, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
The bedding on NH is terrible..

This probably sums up the definition of first-world problems, but after multiple flights on 789s in J and a 77W in F, I honestly wonder what NH is thinking with the bedding they offer compared to other carriers?

In J, the pillows are flat and small, and the blanket is slippery and plastic-y. The mattress pad is only about half the length of the seat.

In F, while the mattress pad is better, there's no sheet or anything to cover the seat with, and the blanket itself is scratchy and tiny. I literally could not turn on my side without losing half the blanket (and I'm only 70kg)

For a '5 star' carrier (Skytrax, I know), I was hoping NH would invest a bit more in the bedding and sleep quality. Even UA J > NH F, and that's pretty sad.

Thanks for listening to my rant
Old Dec 21, 17, 9:45 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
I did find the mattress pad hilarious in length. I basically had to choose whether I wanted some extra comfort under my upper body or legs. 😂

The pillow was a little flat, but I just ended up asking a flight attendant for an extra one. Otherwise, I found the quality of bedding pretty nice for my flights.
Old Dec 23, 17, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Slept like a baby on NRT-SJC last night. I did nap an extra pillow. I think the pad is fine, the weight of your body is all on the butt up so why do yoI need it full length?
Old Dec 24, 17, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
I found nothing wrong w the padding
Old Dec 25, 17, 2:30 am

Programs: NH Diamond
Since the cabin temperature is always too hot on ANA for most non-Japanese, that "slippery" blanket is a godsend as it wicks away heat. And the bedding pad offers good ventilation.

On other airlines who keep the cabin comfortably cold and dark, I'd love to snuggle up in a nice warm blanket. But on ANA, since there's no hope for the heat to come down to a more reasonable temperature, at least we can hope they don't change their current bedding materials...
Old Dec 27, 17, 5:27 am

Programs: HH G, MR/SPG G, IHG Plat, Club Carlson G, National Exec
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
I found nothing wrong w the padding
+1
I actually find the half-length padding in J to be quite creative and economical - I appreciate the extra cushioning for my back and butt, but my legs and feet are just fine resting directly on the seat surface.
Old Dec 27, 17, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Padding is bad but at least we get padding.

The pillow is really bad. I always request the CA to find me at least 1-2 more pillows to stack on.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:26 pm
Suspended

i found this thread a joke... unless you've used the wrong side of the padding. which is still better than MANY issues you find on a normal airliners seat in business class.

I've never slept any better unless im in massive jetlag which i'd be fine even in Y seats.
Old Dec 31, 17, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Since the cabin temperature is always too hot on ANA for most non-Japanese, that "slippery" blanket is a godsend as it wicks away heat. And the bedding pad offers good ventilation.

On other airlines who keep the cabin comfortably cold and dark, I'd love to snuggle up in a nice warm blanket. But on ANA, since there's no hope for the heat to come down to a more reasonable temperature, at least we can hope they don't change their current bedding materials...
maybe i got lucky. on the 3 flight that i was on over xmas, i was asked proactively re temperature once when it felt a bit warm (just a bit), and the other times towards the cool side of things. my travel buddy found it just right with the F PJ
Old Dec 31, 17, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kaka View Post
i found this thread a joke... unless you've used the wrong side of the padding. which is still better than MANY issues you find on a normal airliners seat in business class.

I've never slept any better unless im in massive jetlag which i'd be fine even in Y seats.
To each their own I suppose
More than anything I was just shocked at the quantity and quality of the items in F. Others are worse, for sure, but when UA J has you beat, I'm not a fan.
Old Jan 1, 18, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Gold
The J-class "mattress pad" is perfect size to use as a "seat pad." I put it on the seat before I ever sit down. Of course, I leave it on when I recline to a bed, too. But, I do wonder why they made it so short.
Old Jan 1, 18, 2:53 am

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
To each their own I suppose
More than anything I was just shocked at the quantity and quality of the items in F. Others are worse, for sure, but when UA J has you beat, I'm not a fan.
Unfortunately UA does beat NH on the bedding at the moment. Taking that extra pillow kinda made me mad but the NH padding is just weird to me.
Old Jan 1, 18, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
The J-class "mattress pad" is perfect size to use as a "seat pad." I put it on the seat before I ever sit down. Of course, I leave it on when I recline to a bed, too. But, I do wonder why they made it so short.
i think they skimp on the 1 foot where ur foot is at as a typical japanese height person. that is if you dont move the pad around.

Search this Thread