FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Sushi Chef Service at ANA lounge in NRT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1876799-sushi-chef-service-ana-lounge-nrt.html)

mjcewl1284 Nov 10, 2017 1:20 am

Sushi Chef Service at ANA lounge in NRT

I did a search for this topic to no avail.

I will be connecting through NRT in about a week on my way to HNL. I would like to take advantage of this service at the ANA lounge. My questions are:

1- What kind of sushi is offered? I don't need a full menu but how many kinds of sushi are offered?

2- I don't speak Japanese. Will there be the typical photos with text and I will have to point them out to the chef to order?

3- Is there a sitting area like there is for the noodle bar service?

Thanks in advance

CPH-Flyer Nov 10, 2017 3:08 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 (Post 29043174)

I will be connecting through NRT in about a week on my way to HNL. I would like to take advantage of this service at the ANA lounge. My questions are:

1- What kind of sushi is offered? I don't need a full menu but how many kinds of sushi are offered?

2- I don't speak Japanese. Will there be the typical photos with text and I will have to point them out to the chef to order?

Thanks in advance

If it is at the business class lounge, the sushi is offered for a brief period, I think an hour or so around 4pm. There is not really a choice, most comes pre plated from the kitchen. While the chef pretends to prepare the sushi, it is obvious that it is mainly coming prepared. Line up and get a plate with 2 or 3 pieces. Feel free to line up again, but normally, one plate per person at a time. At least the times I was there.

jix Nov 10, 2017 11:37 am

Interesting, I didn't know this. I wonder how it compares to JL's sushi bar

From: https://www.ana.co.jp/ana_news/en/20...0160720-1.html

The Chef Service sushi is available for one hour, between 5:00-6:00pm at the No. 4 Satellite ANA Lounge near the BAR corner, and between 3:30-4:30pm at the No. 5 Satellite ANA Lounge. There will be three types of sushi – tuna, shrimp and salmon.

CPH-Flyer Nov 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by jix (Post 29044989)
Interesting, I didn't know this. I wonder how it compares to JL's sushi bar

From: https://www.ana.co.jp/ana_news/en/20...0160720-1.html

The Chef Service sushi is available for one hour, between 5:00-6:00pm at the No. 4 Satellite ANA Lounge near the BAR corner, and between 3:30-4:30pm at the No. 5 Satellite ANA Lounge. There will be three types of sushi – tuna, shrimp and salmon.

I think I have a couple of pictures, let me search my phone. Nothing like the JL sushi bar at all.

CPH-Flyer Nov 11, 2017 1:53 am

Not the best crop I have ever made, but I did not have a tool to blur people's faces on my phone.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...816-154252.jpg

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...111-153419.jpg

mjcewl1284 Nov 12, 2017 7:07 pm

CPH-Flyer , thanks for the information and photos! Will report back

SQ007 Nov 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284 (Post 29043174)

Thanks in advance

Was there 2 weeks ago.

Around 7pm a Chef was serving Tuna Nigiri at the sushi bar, was not a make shift table as photographed above. Very small area with around 4 two top tables if I recall correctly.

You basically line up and just grab a plate. When I was there they only had Magura (blue fin tuna) nigiri.

CPH-Flyer Nov 12, 2017 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SQ007 (Post 29053542)
Was there 2 weeks ago.

Around 7pm a Chef was serving Tuna Nigiri at the sushi bar, was not a make shift table as photographed above. Very small area with around 4 two top tables if I recall correctly.

You basically line up and just grab a plate. When I was there they only had Magura (blue fin tuna) nigiri.

This was a couple of months ago, so they may have improved the setup. This is from 50ies satellite lounge.

SQ007 Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29053551)
This was a couple of months ago, so they may have improved the setup. This is from 50ies satellite lounge.

The setup you experienced actually looks a lot better due to the variety. When I went you literally just queued in line and received a plate with one type of sushi. As for quality I have no idea since we opted to eat at Sushi Kyotatsu. Off topic but they actually had a tip jar at the cashier stand at Kyotatsu, which was the first time I saw anything like that in Japan, ever.

tide Nov 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Nigiri sushi ( salmon and boiled shrimp) also available at the UA Club

CPH-Flyer Nov 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by SQ007 (Post 29055447)
The setup you experienced actually looks a lot better due to the variety. When I went you literally just queued in line and received a plate with one type of sushi. As for quality I have no idea since we opted to eat at Sushi Kyotatsu. Off topic but they actually had a tip jar at the cashier stand at Kyotatsu, which was the first time I saw anything like that in Japan, ever.

Tip jars have started to appear in cafés and modern hipster food places in Tokyo. I take it as a very bad development, and I never use them.

sodaisei Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

I cant believe I have been so many times in the ANA lounge and never seen this...

SQ007 Nov 14, 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29058176)
Tip jars have started to appear in cafés and modern hipster food places in Tokyo. I take it as a very bad development, and I never use them.

100% agree

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29058264)
I cant believe I have been so many times in the ANA lounge and never seen this...

It's a very small area located directly to the right of the entrance right before the smoking room. Very easy to miss since they only serve for short periods of time at very specific hours.

jrmyl Nov 14, 2017 10:37 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29053551)

I was in the 50's lounge last Friday and it is still the same setup. Came out around 4pm and was there for maybe 30 minutes.

LAX/HKG Apr 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Do the NH lounges still offer this service? If so are the hours still the same?