Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA one way award "trick": is it still working?

Old Sep 24, 17, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat

Hi there,

I know this has been talked about already on this forum, but I haven't found any RECENT data point so I just have to ask again.
I saw several posts and blog posts explaining how to book sorta one way awards on ANA using a loophole in their rules (such as this).

I also read somewhere that they closed that loophole and it doesn't work anymore (can't find the article anymore).

So I played around with ANA's website, and I was actually able to find availability and price it: JFK to NRT in First, and then MTY to IAH in coach for 97,500 miles + taxes.
Again I got to the pricing page no problem, and I would just like to know if this is proof that it will work and that I can safely transfer some miles to ANA. I don't want to run the risk of getting an error message on the next screen and be stuck with almost 100k miles there that I won't be able to use anytime soon.

I'm really not trying to play against the rules, and I'll just book through Aeroplan or United if it's a bad idea but I just want to be sure as it requires a little less miles.
Thanks guys!
Old Sep 24, 17, 9:16 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE
ANA does not have one way awards; open-jaw endpoints must be within the same area: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...tml#table_area
Old Sep 25, 17, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
ANA does not have one way awards; open-jaw endpoints must be within the same area: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...tml#table_area
Thanks for your response! Yea I know that one ways are not allowed, which is why I'd need an extra flight.

Thank you also for the link. So, based on the rule #7 , I guess that the routing I described in my first post would be allowed: an open jaw in different areas, as long as beginning and end of my trip are in the same one (see attached screenshot)?
Attached Images  
Old Sep 25, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Klems View Post
I guess that the routing I described in my first post would be allowed: an open jaw in different areas, as long as beginning and end of my trip are in the same one (see attached screenshot)?
Rule 7 describes an open jaw in different ZONEs, not AREAs

See Rule 6.
If the last city of the outbound journey is different from the first city of the return journey, they must still be within the same area.
In your itinerary, NRT and MTY have to be in the same AREA.
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

OK thanks... Well I also called ANA and they told me that my itinerary was valid, and asked them to price it and it went through. It's not making much sense, but since they confirmed it is fine over the phone I will risk it and transfer my points. I'll keep this thread posted.
Old Sep 27, 17, 9:08 am
Original Poster

So, I managed to make it work after all, whew!
I did JFK to NRT (First), and then NRT to HNL (Coach). It priced at 95k miles + $151 in taxes. If I had done MTY to IAH instead for the second leg, it was pricing at 97,500 miles so I was able to save 2500 miles this way.
Old Sep 27, 17, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
So, I managed to make it work after all, whew!
I did JFK to NRT (First), and then NRT to HNL (Coach). It priced at 95k miles + $151 in taxes. If I had done MTY to IAH instead for the second leg, it was pricing at 97,500 miles so I was able to save 2500 miles this way.
Thanks for the report, good to know.
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Thanks for the report, good to know.
You're welcome. FYI, MTY to ORD also worked and was pricing the same as MTY to IAH so I guess there are several options if one wants to dig deeper.

I also wasn't able to price any itinerary from Canada back to the US, despite seeing availability on Star Alliance but it turns out that ANA considers Canada and US as the same country so that's probably why.

At the end of the day, the cheapest and easiest way for one way ANA First awards probably remains Avianca LifeMiles for 90k, but they only partner with SPG for points transfer and I did not have enough of those. Then comes SQ (100k), Aeroplan (105k) and United (110k).
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
At the end of the day, the cheapest and easiest way for one way ANA First awards probably remains Avianca LifeMiles for 90k, but they only partner with SPG for points transfer and I did not have enough of those. Then comes SQ (100k), Aeroplan (105k) and United (110k).
OZ is 80k one-way but they don't allow stopovers... they seem to be an SPG partner as well though
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
OZ is 80k one-way but they don't allow stopovers... they seem to be an SPG partner as well though
I think the advantage of NH over AV or OZ is they have a reasonably functional website. Plus the AMEX transferability.
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truncated View Post
Interesting. I did not realize that they were an SPG transfer partner, nor that they allowed one way awards. Good to know for next time!

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think the advantage of NH over AV or OZ is they have a reasonably functional website. Plus the AMEX transferability.
I can't speak for OZ, but I agree that one of the reasons I didn't go through AV was not just that I didn't have enough SPG points (used them for a 1 way award on JAL), but also that I read many times that their website is pretty wonky and their phone agents were not great so I just didn't want to risk it. ANA's site is pretty great in comparison.
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, SPG Plat
Is the open-jaw trick still allowing outbound destination airport and inbound origin airport to be in different areas (e.g., using MTY(Mexico)-ORD inbound to pair with a USA-JPN outbound as mentioned in post 8)? I just tried some routings and get an error message: "This service is not available for the specified itinerary. Please amend the flight criteria and try again." But it works fine if I pair my USA-JPN routing with, say, NRT-HNL.
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:50 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE
Open-jaw endpoints must be within the same area: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...tml#table_area
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
Open-jaw endpoints must be within the same area: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...tml#table_area
Yes, I'm aware of the language on the website and did see your earlier post in the thread. I was referring to reports from @Klems in posts #5 and #8 that suggested other possibilities.
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Yes, I'm aware of the language on the website and did see your earlier post in the thread. I was referring to reports from @Klems in posts #5 and #8 that suggested other possibilities.
I just did a quick test and this still works for me, so maybe there's no availability on your dates?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: