Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining star alliance, separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Interlining star alliance, separate tickets

I'm on an ANA flight from the US to Narita Tokyo. I'm hoping to connect to Thailand on a Thai Airways flight that leaves Narita 2 hours after my flight arrives at Narita. The Thai airways fight would be on a separate ticket (I already ticketed my ANA flight).

Does ANA check baggage through on Star Aliance partners, like Thai Airways, on separate tickets? Or, will I need to find a flight with a longer layover to add time for clearing immigration and re-checking in my luggage to Thailand.

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by sfoltl
I'm on an ANA flight from the US to Narita Tokyo. I'm hoping to connect to Thailand on a Thai Airways flight that leaves Narita 2 hours after my flight arrives at Narita. The Thai airways fight would be on a separate ticket (I already ticketed my ANA flight).
Does ANA check baggage through on Star Aliance partners, like Thai Airways, on separate tickets? Or, will I need to find a flight with a longer layover to add time for clearing immigration and re-checking in my luggage to Thailand.
Thanks for your help!
Hi, they can, but of course aren't legally bound to do so. 2 hours difference in separate tickets is cutting it close, but by experience with punctuality of ANA flights, you should be ok. Worst case scenario is, you get thru immigration in around 30 minutes, and check in your bag for the continuing flight. You know though that you'll definitely need a paper boarding pass issued by Thai transfer desk at Narita, right??
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
you'll definitely need a paper boarding pass issued by Thai transfer desk at Narita, right??
You can get through transit security with a print of your itinerary, then get your BP at the gate.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
It largely depends on a check-in agent, and interline agreement.
'Star alliance' doesn't mean little thing (nearly nothing ?).

(1)
In this month, ANA at HND, an agent checked in my bug to LHR under two separate tickets.

ticket 1: HND-CDG by NH
ticket 2: CDG-LHR by BA

(2)
3 years ago, ANA at HND, an agent did

ticket 1: HND-HKG by NH
ticket 2: HKG-CMB by CX

She issued a boarding pass of HKG-CMB (it contained CX FFP number correctly), and a bag to CMB.

(3)
An agent at BLZ almost did through check my bag to HND like

BLZ-xADD-xBKK-HND (one ticket)

She printed baggage TAG to HND.
Then, I pointed out, I had two nights stay at ADD.
I don't know how she was able to print such TAG.
Still, she gave me boarding pass for ADD-BKK.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can get through transit security with a print of your itinerary, then get your BP at the gate.
Do you have actual experience with this connecting at any Japanese international airport?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Do you have actual experience with this connecting at any Japanese international airport?
NRT, HND, KIX, and NGO has international – international transfer point. I am not sure if other airports in Japan has international – international transfer. Anyway, at NRT, HND, KIX, and NGO all need to show is printed itinerary showing onward international flight from that airport.

Every single day there are international transit passengers who arrive without a boarding pass for connecting flights; connecting airlines not serving origin airport, departing airline could not print connecting boarding pass (not in same alliance), could not do online check-in (verification of visa required, etc.), could not print boarding pass (not all countries have same online access to average people like in western Europe, Japan, or the U.S.).

International transit passengers arriving without a boarding pass for connecting flight is quite common situation. You will find at other forums at FlyerTalk many actual experiences indicating all needed was printed itinerary and do not have to have a boarding pass.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by sfoltl

Thanks for your help!
I have this same trip coming up - with 2:15 minutes between ANA and Thai flight - wondering if it worked out for you? anything to worry about?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle

International transit passengers arriving without a boarding pass for connecting flight is quite common situation. You will find at other forums at FlyerTalk many actual experiences indicating all needed was printed itinerary and do not have to have a boarding pass.
Just want to confirm as of today this is still okay. I have IAH-NRT-PVG both on NH on 2 separate tickets. I will not be checking any bags in.

Will IAH Give me the boarding pass for NRT-PVG or pull the same trick and head straight to the lounge?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:38 am
LOI

Programs: NH DIA, Flying Blue Platinum, AA Plat
Two NH tickets you will get both boarding passes at IAH.
NH-TG with 2 hours at NRT should be no problem either way. If you have status with NH they will usually try to check you through; same if you are in Business. In economy they might not, but even then I think 2.15 hrs at Narita is not a problem. Never spent more than 30 min in security, and if you do, your bag for sure will be waiting on the other side.

It will always help if the two tickets are on one PNR so the check-in agent can simply check you through without having to combine two PNRs. I have done this i.e. on BRU-NRT-PUS (NH/JL); on AKL-NRT-PUS (NZ/KE) and SIN-NRT-PUS (SQ/KE).
Old May 19, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Good information on this thread. My wife and I are Star Gold flying SFO-NRT in F via VS awards. We have 2H 30M to make a NRT-CTS connection on paid tickets in Y. It sounds like we can get boarding passes for the second leg in SFO since NH-NH. Given that we will not have checked bags, what is the process at NRT? By chance would we get any special assistance or privileges (on arrival and outbound) by way of the inbound flight in F?

Last edited by anc-ord772; May 19, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old May 27, 2019, 6:54 am

Tagging along on this thread for a similar situation.

We're arriving at NRT at 3:15pm on ANA (in F if it matters) and have a connecting flight on JAL to TPE at 6:00pm. I felt like almost 3 hours should be okay for that connection. Am I right?

I assume no interlining since we're going ANA to JAL.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are connecting, you have few worries. In the unlikely event of a misconnect, you will be rebooked. Similarly, if this is a connection, it means that there is an interline agreement and ANA will check your bags through to TPE.

As to the other situation above, it is all about risk tolerance because he is not connecting as he is on separate tickets. If there is a significant delay on the inbound and the passenger no shows for his onward flight, depending on that onward ticket's fare rules, he may be required to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices. I am uncomfortable with short transfers unless the onward ticket can be replaced cheaply and the risk of getting stuck for an appreciable period of time is minimal.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are connecting, you have few worries. In the unlikely event of a misconnect, you will be rebooked. Similarly, if this is a connection, it means that there is an interline agreement and ANA will check your bags through to TPE.

As to the other situation above, it is all about risk tolerance because he is not connecting as he is on separate tickets. If there is a significant delay on the inbound and the passenger no shows for his onward flight, depending on that onward ticket's fare rules, he may be required to purchase a new ticket at walk up prices. I am uncomfortable with short transfers unless the onward ticket can be replaced cheaply and the risk of getting stuck for an appreciable period of time is minimal.
I should have been more clear and used the proper terminology.

Our ANA flight to NRT is not connected with the JAL flight departing NRT. We would be booking that ticket separately. So our situation is identical to TennisNoob. So we are taking on the risk of getting to TPE ourselves if there is an issue.

But if all runs smoothly, we should be able to make our second flight with almost 3 hours between flights. Correct?
Old May 27, 2019, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
I should have been more clear and used the proper terminology.

Our ANA flight to NRT is not connected with the JAL flight departing NRT. We would be booking that ticket separately. So our situation is identical to TennisNoob. So we are taking on the risk of getting to TPE ourselves if there is an issue.

But if all runs smoothly, we should be able to make our second flight with almost 3 hours between flights. Correct?
You need to change terminals in Narita, provided you have no hold luggage or your luggage is checked through, there is an airside bus between the terminals. You will need your onward boarding pass for this bus.

If you have luggage that is not checked through, and pending no delays, it is still a reasonable connection. Even if you have to go through immigration twice, and wait for luggage and have customs clearance. If you need to reclaim luggage, you will need to enter Japan, so make sure you have a passport or a visa that allows that

ANA may actually check luggage through to JAL. Though there is no guarantee you will be successful.

As pointed out, as you are on separate tickets, you will be a no show in case of a delay on the first flight, and you need to consider if you want to run that risk.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You need to change terminals in Narita, provided you have no hold luggage or your luggage is checked through, there is an airside bus between the terminals. You will need your onward boarding pass for this bus.

If you have luggage that is not checked through, and pending no delays, it is still a reasonable connection. Even if you have to go through immigration twice, and wait for luggage and have customs clearance. If you need to reclaim luggage, you will need to enter Japan, so make sure you have a passport or a visa that allows that

ANA may actually check luggage through to JAL. Though there is no guarantee you will be successful.

As pointed out, as you are on separate tickets, you will be a no show in case of a delay on the first flight, and you need to consider if you want to run that risk.
Thank you for the very detailed response, it was very helpful!

I'll have to talk to my better half and see how much risk she is willing take. I'm willing to go for it, although the aspect of getting my onward boarding pass for the airside bus upon arrival seems like it would be a bit challenging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.