Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Credit Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by Torode
Traditionally I would have added the ANA To ME Card Pasmo JCB to any must-have combo of Japanese cards, because it offered the lucrative "sorachika route" where you could convert points from point sites such as G-Point at an 0.90 rate, but sadly that conversion route is being closed off at the end of March 2018. I think the SPG Amex is a good deal, considering it also gives you gold status for Marriot, which grants club lounge access at their hotels. For the Delta card, obviously you need to fly enough to justify the benfits and there is a lot of route overlap Ex-JP.
Yeah, the SPG Amex card providing Marriot status is a very good deal.

One thing about the Delta card, do you maintain GOLD status every year by just having the card? This year I am flying KLM and Delta, and sometimes I fly China Airlines (the Taiwanese one) so that is why I thought the Delta Amex card is a good deal for me.

I forgot the Rakuten Premium with Priority Pass, what do you think? Anyone uses it here?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Originally Posted by sodaisei
One thing about the Delta card, do you maintain GOLD status every year by just having the card?
Yes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Yes.
Thank you! Then I think it is a good deal...
Old Feb 21, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
BTW, I was thinking recently about the "holy trinity" of frequent flyers credit cards in Japan. Can we agree on this?

ANA SFC, gives you Star Alliance Gold status.
JAL version of SFC, gives you the equivalent status.
AMEX Delta Gold Card, same as above.

With these 3 cards, are you some kind of semi god? I already have the ANA SFC and was thinking about getting the Amex Delta one, it is only 24,000Y per year and gives you Gold status...

Am I missing other cards? (Like the SPG one)
Both for the ANA SFC and JAL JGC Cards you need to achieve the status the old fashioned way before you can apply for them. So the status does require some level of actual flying.

The SPG Card is very interesting, howver I am curious to see what happens with it from Jan 1st 2019 when SPG is being fully integrated with Marriott. As Marriott currently do not offer a credit card option in Japan.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Both for the ANA SFC and JAL JGC Cards you need to achieve the status the old fashioned way before you can apply for them. So the status does require some level of actual flying.

The SPG Card is very interesting, howver I am curious to see what happens with it from Jan 1st 2019 when SPG is being fully integrated with Marriott. As Marriott currently do not offer a credit card option in Japan.
Yeah but then as long as you keep the cards you keep the status. I already got SFC and maybe next year I will try to get JAL status to get their card.

So maybe it is better to get the SPG card asap?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond
Yeah but then as long as you keep the cards you keep the status. I already got SFC and maybe next year I will try to get JAL status to get their card.

So maybe it is better to get the SPG card asap?
Maybe get the SPG for a speculative year. I got it this January because I was booking 4 different SPG properties for a U.S. trip this June, and you only need to spend 100,000 yen to get that 17,000 point bonus. Combined with the mid-tier status it offsets the membership fee nicely.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Torode
Maybe get the SPG for a speculative year. I got it this January because I was booking 4 different SPG properties for a U.S. trip this June, and you only need to spend 100,000 yen to get that 17,000 point bonus. Combined with the mid-tier status it offsets the membership fee nicely.
This year I have some trips to Atlanta, I will probably get the Delta Amex and the SPG and then stay there at some SPG hotels.I guess I will not get a Rakuten Premium card
Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Best no annual fee card ANA miles?

Hi all, first post and am not allowed to include a link yet so please excuse the lack of one. Have made ANA Diamond for the first time and shooting for more miles. Know people have spoken highly of the double wide gold card, but is this JCB W card (sorry, please google) possibly the best no annual fee card you can find?

Mudt be under 39 to apply but at many places you are getting 4x points on spend on the standard JCB conversion of 3 miles per point. My Japanese isn’t perfect but I believe this reads that at the listed places I can earn 4 points = 12 miles on 1,000 yen spend. May be some conditional rules but works out better than some of those cards you have to pay to get 1 mile per 100 yen spend.

Thoughts? Downside versus applying for a superflyer or other card that has a signup bonusS
Old Mar 19, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I tried searching for ANA JCB cards,, though I am not certain I am finding the one you are pointing to. The only ones with zero card fee I can see are the student card and the Zero card The zero card you have to be between 18 and 29. The Wide card has a card fee in all I can see.

Are you looking at an ANA page, a JCB page, or something else?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:59 pm

Yeah not sure about which one are you talking about.

I was recommended here to get a JCB SFC Wide Gold because they give you miles when charging and spending Edy. It has been very nice so far.
Annual fee is like 16k yen, but since it has the Edy stuff it is probably the best card in cost performance for getting miles.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:49 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
JCB CARD W (In Japanese)

https://www.jcb.co.jp/ordercard/koji...os_card_w.html

Merit is depending on your spending pattern.
As you mentioned, at most, 12 miles/1000JPY (this rate applied for some designated shops only).
This card is for a NON-miler.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
???????????????????????? JCB CARD W ? ???????????JCB???

Thanks for the responses! Finally posted 5 comments to be allowed to post a link and then got a notice that needed to wait 24 hours to post more than 5 times! Sorry for the delay in response. Correct that the bonus applies to select merchants like Seven Eleven, Amazon, Starbucks...but luckily places I already shop at. For zero annual fee, seems quite good though since paid cards only accrue 5 miles per 1,000 yen unless you do the more expensive branded cards which earn 10 miles.

Wasabi: when you say non-miler card, what does that mean? Non ANA branded? Ultimately they can become ANA miles right?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kirinknight

Thanks for the responses! Finally posted 5 comments to be allowed to post a link and then got a notice that needed to wait 24 hours to post more than 5 times! Sorry for the delay in response. Correct that the bonus applies to select merchants like Seven Eleven, Amazon, Starbucks...but luckily places I already shop at. For zero annual fee, seems quite good though since paid cards only accrue 5 miles per 1,000 yen unless you do the more expensive branded cards which earn 10 miles.

Wasabi: when you say non-miler card, what does that mean? Non ANA branded? Ultimately they can become ANA miles right?
According to the link it is possible to transfer to AMC for usage if the points. Though I did not read the details of this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: ANA: SFC / Marriott: Platinum Elite / Hilton: Diamond

I followed the link you provided and it included a simulation of the points you can earn, as well as the transfer rate to ANA (1 point = 3 miles). Based on the simulation it provided, when you include spending significant amounts at the specified retail outlets, the best you are getting is 1.04 miles per 100 yen spent, and 0.6 miles per 100 yen for regular purchases. Compare that to regular airline co-branded cards which generally start at a base of 1 mile per 100 yen spend, with opportunities for more depending on retail outlet (My JCB gets me 2 miles per 100 yen spend when used with Edy, for example). In light of that, I think you could do significantly better with an airline co-branded card as opposed to this if you are interested in maximizing your mile earnings.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Yes. ANA branded cards' earn rates are typically 5miles/100JPY, 10miles/JPY. and double earning rate for some shops (including ANA own ticketing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.