FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Oversized AND overweight baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1856047-oversized-overweight-baggage.html)

c2d Jul 24, 2017 7:34 am

Oversized AND overweight baggage

A few questions related to checking bags for our move from Japan to USA on ANA:

We will be checking in excess bags, and probably some overweight as well. One of the bags is oversized, around 180cm linear, which is over the 158cm limit. I know they will charge $200 for oversized, but if this bag is 30kg (over the 23kg limit), will they also charge an additional $60 for overweight?

Is it recommended to call ahead and let them know about our excess baggage, or just show up at the airport with 4 extra bags (for example)? Is there any way to pre-pay extra bags online (I know some low cost carriers do this at lower cost)?

AlwaysAisle Jul 24, 2017 3:46 pm

ANA website specifically says:
In the event that two or more criteria, such as baggage number and baggage weight or baggage weight and size, are exceeded, the sum of all individual excess charges shall apply.
If your baggage exceeds both size and weight allowance then you will be charge excess size fee plus excess weight fee.

CPH-Flyer Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by c2d (Post 28600250)
A few questions related to checking bags for our move from Japan to USA on ANA:

We will be checking in excess bags, and probably some overweight as well. One of the bags is oversized, around 180cm linear, which is over the 158cm limit. I know they will charge $200 for oversized, but if this bag is 30kg (over the 23kg limit), will they also charge an additional $60 for overweight?

Is it recommended to call ahead and let them know about our excess baggage, or just show up at the airport with 4 extra bags (for example)? Is there any way to pre-pay extra bags online (I know some low cost carriers do this at lower cost)?

I guess the need to notify in advance depends on the number of passengers travelling etc. If you are four, so one per extra bag no problem I would say, but one or two passengers and four extra bags, I would probably call and get it noted in the reservation. Especially if they are overweight as well.

c2d Jul 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle (Post 28602497)
ANA website specifically says:
In the event that two or more criteria, such as baggage number and baggage weight or baggage weight and size, are exceeded, the sum of all individual excess charges shall apply.
If your baggage exceeds both size and weight allowance then you will be charge excess size fee plus excess weight fee.

Thanks, that's what I had guessed, missed that part. It is good to go prepared.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 28602844)
I guess the need to notify in advance depends on the number of passengers travelling etc. If you are four, so one per extra bag no problem I would say, but one or two passengers and four extra bags, I would probably call and get it noted in the reservation. Especially if they are overweight as well.

Thanks, I will call ANA to note the excess baggage in our reservation.

c2d Jul 24, 2017 6:00 pm

In case anyone else finds this useful in the future: I am also going to ship some stuff we don't need right away by Japan Post as it is way cheaper compared to the excess baggage charges; (I think we will only have 2-3 excess bags now, with only one of them likely overweight).