FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   upgrading J to F? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1855575-upgrading-j-f.html)

brarrr Jul 22, 2017 7:28 am

upgrading J to F?

I'm booked on a united ticket (yay EQD) on NH8, not code share. In Z class which is an allowed upgrade to F. However, I'm not sure how.

Can I use united miles for a star alliance upgrade award?

Transfer points into a (new) ana account? If that's the case, will the earned miles get wonky? i prefer to earn on UA.

Can someone else's account upgrade me?

24left Jul 22, 2017 11:18 am

Originally Posted by brarrr (Post 28591611)
I'm booked on a united ticket (yay EQD) on NH8, not code share. In Z class which is an allowed upgrade to F. However, I'm not sure how.

Can I use united miles for a star alliance upgrade award?

Transfer points into a (new) ana account? If that's the case, will the earned miles get wonky? i prefer to earn on UA.

Can someone else's account upgrade me?

Since you're booked on a UA ticket, I wonder if the UA forum would have an answers to your other questions.

As for Star Alliance Upgrade Awards

Their main page is http://www.staralliance.com/en/upgrade-awards

When selecting United, you then get this page, which has cabin/class info

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...rade/saua.aspx

And here is the link form Star alliance to the ANA page for these awards.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/asw...ade/usage.html

Good luck.

P.S. I recently flew NH 8 in F and posted photos in various threads here on the ANA forum

CPH-Flyer Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

You can use UA miles for a Star Alliance upgrade, and booking class Z is possible to upgrade. In order for the upgrade to clear, booking class O needs to be available. First class award booking class.

Booking class Z is not possible to upgrade with a GPU.

ainternational Jul 23, 2017 3:12 am

Interested to hear how OP does with this upgrade, please report back.

I've had great success in upgrading NH booked Z fares to first class on NH flights, NH ticket stock, as an AMC Plat and DIA.

OP was smart to ensure their flight wasn't a code share, as then upgrading I believe would be impossible via UA.

Also wonder if OP could transfer AMEX points to NH AMC and then upgrade the NH flight using NH miles. Not sure if that works on UA ticket stock and OP may need to use an AMC number for mileage accrual in that case, but I'm just guessing here...

brarrr Jul 23, 2017 7:30 am

Hmmm.. appears no space available for upgrade by simply using the star alliance upgrade tool. But will keep checking manually.

What i'm unable to find is a way to find O space quickly. Only by searching for an actual award on the same date can I get a proxy (or search for the upgrade).

No MR available, so can't transfer in :)

And oddly I had created an ANA account, pointed it to an old email address, and now can't re-access it. WOuld have to create a new acct!

skimthetrees Jul 24, 2017 1:06 am

Originally Posted by brarrr (Post 28595657)
Hmmm.. appears no space available for upgrade by simply using the star alliance upgrade tool. But will keep checking manually.

What i'm unable to find is a way to find O space quickly. Only by searching for an actual award on the same date can I get a proxy (or search for the upgrade).

How far out is your flight? If you subscribe to ExpertFlyer you can set an alert for O award space on ANA (All Nippon Airways - NH) and get notified when it is found. You get an email notification but I like to also set it up to send to my cell phone. EF only appears to have award data for flights 5 or more days out on ANA (OAL do not have this limitation) so if you are within 5 days of travel this might not work but if your flight is further out EF is a great way to track ANA availability.

brarrr Jul 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 28599199)
How far out is your flight? If you subscribe to ExpertFlyer you can set an alert for O award space on ANA (All Nippon Airways - NH) and get notified when it is found. You get an email notification but I like to also set it up to send to my cell phone. EF only appears to have award data for flights 5 or more days out on ANA (OAL do not have this limitation) so if you are within 5 days of travel this might not work but if your flight is further out EF is a great way to track ANA availability.

Hmm just set up a free trial. Never really saw the value of paying for that before. Flight is mid august.

darnold Jul 26, 2017 12:13 pm

This will work, I've done it multiple times. Caveats:

-- You must be booked on a native code (not codeshare) to upgrade as a Staralliance award.

-- United will refuse to re-code your flight unless you are attempting to use a GPU, and GPU's are not eligible on Z class.

FWIW, I have applied United GPU's to ANA C and D class flights multiple times, availability tracks directly with the Staralliance upgrade tool and Expertflyer. This and Lufthansa F easily best uses of United instruments in the system.

skimthetrees Jul 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by brarrr (Post 28601619)
Hmm just set up a free trial. Never really saw the value of paying for that before. Flight is mid august.

This is one of the things EF is best for. If your alert does not hit within the 5 day trial period I would suggest keeping the paid service for a month to keep your alerts active. You have a much better chance of getting the upgrade if you know when space is made available.

armagebedar Jul 26, 2017 6:00 pm

Please direct discussions regarding upgrading NH metal flights using UA miles to the United forum.

Regards,
armagebedar
ANA forum moderator