Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flip-flops allowed at ANA Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Flip-flops allowed at ANA Lounge?

I'll be flying out of HND in a few days but, for various reasons, I'm down to only a pair of flip flops on this trip. Planning to use ANA Lounge. I'm pretty certain they won't care (UA Club doesn't), but I thought I'd ask here to be sure. Id rather not have to buy another pair of shoes (got plenty back home).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'll be flying out of HND in a few days but, for various reasons, I'm down to only a pair of flip flops on this trip. Planning to use ANA Lounge. I'm pretty certain they won't care (UA Club doesn't), but I thought I'd ask here to be sure. Id rather not have to buy another pair of shoes (got plenty back home).
On my recent visits to the ANA lounges in NRT, I've seen a few people in sandals.

Flip-flops are not the safest thing to wear on a wet floor - which can happen as I've seen food and drink spilled.

You may get some stares from business travellers who seem to be a large portion of those in the business lounge. Vacationers might not care.

Finally, despite everyone wanting to enjoy summer and flip flops, they are never recommended for flight. Should there be am emergency and you have to deplane quickly or run, your flip flops will not be the best choice.

(I'm not the flip flop police , but I've seen way too many people slip, fall or lose one and then get left with no proper footwear)

YMMV

Last edited by 24left; Jul 20, 2017 at 11:15 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
No problem whatsoever. Flip flops are very common in Japan during the summer, and that includes airports and flights.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'm down to only a pair of flip flops on this trip.
If that's really all you have left, then you won't even make it to the airport without being arrested!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Relieved to read confirmation that flip-flops won't be a problem. Hopefully I won't get a lot of stares, either. Imho flip-flops are less egregious in a lounge than bringing along a 2 year-old you can't control or Japanese businessmen sniffling loudly while hovering over food spread. Then again dress codes would be much easier to enforce. I'll try to not get arrested en route to the airport!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Thanks a lot, everyone.

Relieved to read confirmation that flip-flops won't be a problem. Hopefully I won't get a lot of stares, either. Imho flip-flops are less egregious in a lounge than bringing along a 2 year-old you can't control or Japanese businessmen sniffling loudly while hovering over food spread. Then again dress codes would be much easier to enforce. I'll try to not get arrested en route to the airport!
LOL, thanks for posting a reply.

Based on what I see in J cabins, 2 year-olds often seem much better behaved than some suited businessmen who have status.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:57 pm

Flip flops are for servants.

Can you downgrade yourself to economy or find yourself a cheap pair of shoes?

Lounges and higher classes of travel exist so we don't have to deal with the riff-raff and their lifestyle. If you don't belong, please stay away. It is not asking for much to expect you to hide your feet and other organs that usually are not shown in public in high end places. Please.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I do it all the time and infact most of the times, I'm the only guy that's not wearing a suit

T-Shirt and Shorts as if I were about to go play basketball or tennis. Than followed by the brand name wearable's and cases.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
And here I thought, based on the thread subject, that this was another "flip flopping" between NH and UA lounges @ NRT question. lol.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm sure you don't be the only one.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Well, as far as I could see, I was the only guy in the lounge not wearing real shoes. But lots of women wearing sandals. Anyways, it was an uneventful lounge visit. So all good.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:37 am
Suspended

Well, as far as I could see, I was the only guy in the lounge not wearing real shoes. But lots of women wearing sandals. Anyways, it was an uneventful lounge visit. So all good.
See, told you there would be people in sandals. I was in the ANA lounge at HND yesterday afternoon and it was rather full, at least half of the men in suits (given the heat, I was impressed with those who wore all the pieces. There were a couple of women in sandals.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your visit.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by af fp
Flip flops are for servants.

Can you downgrade yourself to economy or find yourself a cheap pair of shoes?

Lounges and higher classes of travel exist so we don't have to deal with the riff-raff and their lifestyle. If you don't belong, please stay away. It is not asking for much to expect you to hide your feet and other organs that usually are not shown in public in high end places. Please.
This post is a joke, right? You forgot the smiley face.....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:36 am

The tone is half-joking, nonetheless I am serious. If you want a semi-public space, hotel, restaurant, aircraft cabin or lounge, to feel premium, you expect this space to meet certain standards. And a minimal dress code for employees and patrons is not unusual. As a patron myself, I have the right to dislike certain behaviors and feel they do not belong to a type of place. If I pay to access a lounge where I see the same kind of ugliness I can see in the concourse, why is it worth it for me to pay?

Last edited by af fp; Jul 26, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by af fp
If you want a semi-public space, hotel, restaurant, aircraft cabin or lounge, to feel premium, you expect this space to meet certain standards. And a minimal dress code for employees and patrons is not unusual. As a patron myself, I have the right to dislike certain behaviors and feel they do not belong to a type of place. If I pay to access a lounge where I see the same kind of ugliness I can see in the concourse, why is it worth it for me to pay?
There's nothing really premium about most airline lounges. We're not talking executive lounge at Conrad here. Airlines don't hold up their end in upholding premium product when it comes to lounges. We're often made to share small tables with strangers. UA Club's bread rolls are the ultimate embodiment of "ugliness."

My feet are meticulously clean, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.