FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   ANA RTW Backtrack Policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1846192-ana-rtw-backtrack-policy.html)

UnitedFTW Jun 3, 2017 4:58 pm

ANA RTW Backtrack Policy

Looking to book an RTW trip using ANA miles. I'm a bit confused about the whole no backtracking policy

Was wondering if the following is allowable:

PEK-HKG-NRT-SYD

Would the PEK-HKG be considered "backtracking" since on the map HKG is west of PEK?

Also, another question. If I start my journey around the world from ORD and end the trip in LAX, is that allowed? Or do I have to arrive back where I started?

Wasabi Tofu Jun 4, 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by UnitedFTW (Post 28398724)
Looking to book an RTW trip using ANA miles. I'm a bit confused about the whole no backtracking policy

Was wondering if the following is allowable:

PEK-HKG-NRT-SYD

Yes. You can do this itin.

Would the PEK-HKG be considered "backtracking" since on the map HKG is west of PEK?
An ANA agent and my understanding agreed the concept of backtracking.
Itinerary has to be continuous TC1-TC2-TC3.

Also, another question. If I start my journey around the world from ORD and end the trip in LAX, is that allowed? Or do I have to arrive back where I started?
Probably, you can. Because, ordinary award permits open jaw within an originating country.

Global1Flyer Jun 25, 2017 1:00 pm

"Was wondering if the following is allowable: PEK-HKG-NRT-SYD"

Yes you can. Within Area(1,2,3), you can fly around.
I had following RTW with ANA
LAX-FRA-HND/NRT-BKK-KIX-ICN-LAX

"If I start my journey around the world from ORD and end the trip in LAX, is that allowed?"

Yes you can. You can start and end in the same Area
I had another following RTW with ANA
LAX-MUC-FRA-DEL-BKK-HKG-NRT-SFO

You can check ANA website, "Round the World Itineraries"
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/asw_c...d/tk/zone.html

UnitedFTW Jul 14, 2017 9:00 am

Just called, and yes you are right. It will be priced as first class.

Thanks!

ckn2 Jul 15, 2017 7:11 am

on a related note, can I start a RTW in Brazil and end in Panama given Central and South America are on the same zone?

Wasabi Tofu Jul 15, 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ckn2 (Post 28563295)
on a related note, can I start a RTW in Brazil and end in Panama given Central and South America are on the same zone?

There is a following rule.

The departure date of the final international flight to return to the country of departure must be at least 10 days after the departure of the first international flight on the itinerary.
If we could return to a country other than the originating country, how can we satisfy this rule ?
IMHO, a flight segment to the country of departure has to be included.

jh6000 Mar 4, 2018 2:13 pm

I am looking to book an RTW ticket with miles on ANA and just wanted to ask about backtracking.

From my readings of prior posts on this forum, it appears that you can backtrack WITHIN TC1, TC2 and TC3 regions -- is that correct? So, for example, could I fly from AMS or BRU to Palermo and then slightly backwards to Geneva?

Also, on a RTW ticket going west to east, can I connect backwards to connect on a flight into a new region or within a region?: For example, CLT - LIS goes through Toronto or Munich. Can I fly CLT-MUC-LIS as a valid flight to start my RTW ticket? If I end up in Greece at some point, can I "backtrack" to Frankfurt to connect to flights to Asia?

Thanks for any help.

Wasabi Tofu Mar 5, 2018 1:32 am

Originally Posted by jh6000 (Post 29484908)
I am looking to book an RTW ticket with miles on ANA and just wanted to ask about backtracking.

From my readings of prior posts on this forum, it appears that you can backtrack WITHIN TC1, TC2 and TC3 regions -- is that correct? So, for example, could I fly from AMS or BRU to Palermo and then slightly backwards to Geneva?

Yes. AMS-BRU-PMO-GVA is a permitted routing (if flights exist. I haven't checked).
However, only 3 stopovers within Europe are permitted.

Also, on a RTW ticket going west to east, can I connect backwards to connect on a flight into a new region or within a region?: For example, CLT - LIS goes through Toronto or Munich. Can I fly CLT-MUC-LIS as a valid flight to start my RTW ticket? If I end up in Greece at some point, can I "backtrack" to Frankfurt to connect to flights to Asia?

Thanks for any help.
Yes. CLT-MUC-LIS is a permitted routing potion.

The rule isn't clear about backtracking within a region. However, as I mentioned before, ANA's agent interpretation is that only continuous TC1-TC2-TC3 routing is required.

For Round the World itineraries, the required mileage is calculated according to the total basic sector mileage for the entire itinerary. (Calculations exclude ground transportation sectors.) Flights must be used to cross both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans once. The flight direction of the itinerary must be east-to-west or west-to-east. Backtracking is not permitted. Up to 8 stopovers are permitted between the departure point and the final return point. (Up to 3 stopovers are permitted within Europe and up to 4 stopovers are permitted within Japan.) The departure date of the final international flight to return to the country of departure must be at least 10 days after the departure of the first international flight on the itinerary.
You can book maximum of 12 flight segments and 4 ground transfer segments on one ticket. Transfers between airports in the same city also count as ground transfer segments.

Tokyoite Mar 5, 2018 5:39 am

Originally Posted by ckn2 (Post 28563295)

No.
See Rule number 5 on the website.
If the departure point and the final return point are not the same, they must still be within the same country.

Originally Posted by UnitedFTW (Post 28398724)
Also, another question. If I start my journey around the world from ORD and end the trip in LAX, is that allowed?

Yes. See Rule number 5 on the website.
If the departure point and the final return point are not the same, they must still be within the same country.

jh6000 Mar 5, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks so much for the info, Wasabi Tofu -- much appreciated (and all of those routes are indeed Star Alliance routes).