Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Please help with one way award SFO-Tokyo April 2018

Old May 4, 17, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I have been researching flights for two adults next spring. The reviews for ANA are great but we just need one way. Looking at J but if we can get into F, even better. The flights should be opening in the next two weeks. Is there a way to book one way award on partner airlines? We are cruising from Yokohama to Vancouver then flying home.

My cards/points are:

UA 73,255
AMEX 128,580
UR 108,685

Is it possible and if so, which airline partner? Are the awards refundable if we have to cancel the trip? Alternative airlines non-stop from SFO are JAL and UA. We could take a short flight to LAX if there is a much better alternative but it will add to an already long travel day.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to have a game plan ready when the days we want are available.

Thank you,

Dprice70
Old May 7, 17, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
A quick look at UA shows seats from Y 35K to F at 110K each using ANA metal.
Old May 7, 17, 1:12 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
NH does not have one way awards. To use NH miles you would need to throw away the return ticket.

UA MP one way prices prices are as follows:

UA metal: 35K UA miles in Coach
UA metal: 65K UA miles in Business -Rarely available until 21 days prior to flight
UA metal: 80K UA miles in First -Rarely available until 21 days prior to flight

*A metal: 35K UA miles in Coach
*A metal: 75K UA miles in Business
*A metal: 110K UA miles in First

So, after transferring some MR points to UA, the OP could:

-Have both PAX fly on Coach on UA or NH (NH is preferred)

-Have both PAX fly in Business on either carrier (NH is vastly preferred)

-Have both PAX fly in separate Business and First cabins. NH allows no commuting between cabins while in flight.

Note that conversations between 2 Business or First PAX on NH is mostly impossible do to the seat designs.

I am very fond of NH Business and First. My only complaint is the nasty PJ's in First.
Old May 7, 17, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
NH does not have one way awards. To use NH miles you would need to throw away the return ticket.
Would the Vancouver-San Francisco leg home qualify as the return ticket?
Old May 7, 17, 7:26 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by dprice70 View Post
Would the Vancouver-San Francisco leg home qualify as the return ticket?
Depending on an outgoing flight.

JFK-YVR-SFO valid routing
TYO-YVR-SFO invalid routing
etc.
Old May 9, 17, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

So I would want to book F or J SFO-Tokyo and the return in coach so I am loosing the fewest miles.

If I book ANA metal on UA website will ANA allow free date changes if needed? I may take the first available date and if changes are free and allowed move the date a couple days based on upcoming availability. We could travel on Wed, but would prefer Thursday or Friday if awards are available. So would book Wed. and if awards become available would change to the preferred dates. I am just afraid if I wait a couple days there will be no awards available.

Thanks
Old May 9, 17, 2:36 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by dprice70 View Post
So I would want to book F or J SFO-Tokyo and the return in coach so I am loosing the fewest miles.

If I book ANA metal on UA website will ANA allow free date changes if needed?
If you are using UA miles, you had better ask in UA forum.
Because every FFP has different policy and rule for award booking change.

Maybe, someone in ANA forum knows UA FFP program well.
But in general, you had better ask in an appropriate forum.
Old May 10, 17, 6:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Using United.com for ANA you should be able to book one-way never noticed that they insist on roundtrips.
Using ANA miles is roundtrip only
Look into Virgin Atlantic they just seem to allow ANA one way bookings. I booked roundtrip JFK-HDN for 2 in first for 240k > given that you are on the west coast and one way it should be 120k max > and Amex has (or had) a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic so around 90k Amex points
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...vs-points.html
Old May 10, 17, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, I will check out Virgin Atlantic. Will be booking in next day or so.
Old May 10, 17, 5:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Hope you have as much luck as I did
Old May 13, 17, 12:29 am
Original Poster

I am happy to report that I was able to book 2 saver one way business class seats on ANA this evening SFO-NRT. Used a mix of UA and CSR points. ANA had my reservation right away and seats have been selected after reviewing SeatGuru.com.

Looks like the flights are updated around 10pm PST on UA and as soon as they posted I grabbed them.

Thanks for all your help.

dprice70
Old Jun 19, 17, 5:24 pm

Question

Originally Posted by blitzen View Post
Using United.com for ANA you should be able to book one-way never noticed that they insist on roundtrips.
Using ANA miles is roundtrip only
Look into Virgin Atlantic they just seem to allow ANA one way bookings. I booked roundtrip JFK-HDN for 2 in first for 240k > given that you are on the west coast and one way it should be 120k max > and Amex has (or had) a 30% transfer bonus to Virgin Atlantic so around 90k Amex points
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...vs-points.html
I don't know if I should start this as a new thread but figured I'd ask here first.

I have seen this mentioned occasionally in various threads but have also seen comments to the contrary so a little confused. Also, the link provided is "...except ANA" so I don't see an obvious answer there either.

Has it been confirmed that one-ways can be booked on NH equipment via Virgin? And if so is it half the miles of the RT ticket?

I only ask because if this is indeed true it would probably be cheaper miles wise than booking the same one way via UA so would be preferable.

EDIT: OK I found the appropriate thread to ask but don't see how I can delete this post. So sorry for the double post.
"One-way reward trips on ANA are not available. " http://www.virginatlantic.com/gb/en/...n-airways.html

Last edited by Budoka; Jun 19, 17 at 5:46 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: