ANA F vs J

Old Feb 25, 17, 11:07 am
Original Poster

ANA F vs J

I'm currently looking to book a RT flight to TYO for myself and my girlfriend for our five year anniversary late this fall (flying from IAD in all likelihood, since RT JFK award availability seems to be practically nonexistent).

I'm torn between F and J - if I book via Virgin Atlantic, it's only 35k more miles per person RT for F, but I'm not sure if the difference is worth it, and I'd have to work a bit harder to get enough UR points to redeem two RT tickets in F (currently sitting at about 170k UR points, need 220 for 2 F tickets).

I've flown on J once in my life, on Delta, and have never flown in F, same with my girlfriend. I want it to be a really special experience, but I've had trouble finding a good comparison between the ANA F and J products.

If it were you - for a 5 year anniversary, would you say it's worth it? Can anyone chime in with some experience?

Thank you!
Old Feb 25, 17, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K&1.99MM (really), Bonvoy lifetime Gold with 14 years of Plat!
HUGE difference. Splurge for F. It'll be a whole new experience for you and your girlfriend!
Old Feb 26, 17, 12:55 am

Night and day - no contest. The only reason you should choose J over F is if you simply cannot get the required number of miles in time.
Old Feb 26, 17, 12:57 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
OP - please search as there was just another thread like this somewhere around here. All depends on how much you value those miles. Honestly, if you've never done it, go for F, it's a nice experience and the lounges alone are worth it. But overall, the quality of NH F has gone down over the past 5 years - to give you an idea, I never upgrade to F anymore, and I used to every flight.

But I don't want to be negative. It's a great experience and you should certainly try it if you can part with the miles.

If you want more details on the delta between J and F, let me know. Here's some quick thoughts:

- F menu is radically larger. Quality isn't much higher, but you have many more choices.
- Wine / champagne is superior in F, Krug alone is worth it for those who drink a lot of champagne.
- Seat is much more private in F. Harder to communicate with your girlfriend, and you won't get window seats if you want to be able to even have a chance to talk. The partition between seats comes down, but when sitting / lying down, you can't communicate much. Not a huge issue, just something to be aware of.
- Service is similar, more personal in F.
- Less pax per lavatory, so you'll rarely if ever not find one of the two F lavs open.
- FA's tend to be older and more experienced in F. Sometimes more robotic, but always kind, if not a bit impersonal.
- Pajamas in F are so-so. Sometimes I don't even bother. But it's a nice experience. You can keep them too.
- If F isn't full, they will (upon request) turn down another seat to be your bed, so you effectively get two seats, one for sleeping and one for sitting / eating / normal activities.

Overall like I said before, if this is a once in a lifetime kind of celebration, go for it. Especially if you can find 2 F seats available. Go in with low expectations and you'll be happier. :-)

PS - Interesting avatar name you chose. :-)
FrequentlyAFly likes this.
Old Mar 1, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
ainternational sums up the differences perfectly. I find the food on NH to be my favorite out of all the airlines I have flown. I would splurge for F, but your girlfriend might end up never being able to fly in Y or J again!
Old Mar 1, 17, 1:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
J on NH is not much different than F. J is much better value.

Still I always fly F because I have extra miles. It's an more private cabin, better service, and I enjoy using Suites check-in/lounge @ NRT.
Old Mar 1, 17, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA and AS
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 18 at 2:58 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 30, 17, 3:55 pm

I was pondering the same for myself and Mr.JBeans, but it looks like F cabin on ANA is a bit TOO private IMO. Even in the middle 2 seats, the divider is pretty long and you won't be able to converse easily.
Old Apr 2, 17, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Can't really converse in J either.
Old Apr 2, 17, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
* you get to keep the pajamas (except the cardigan)

* you also get Hibiki 21yr whiskey in F. Something like $250/bottle

* make sure you fly a day time flight if splurging for F.. Very small food menu on overnight flight (found out the hard way!)
Old Apr 2, 17, 9:11 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
Can't really converse in J either.
Agree, and if I gave up F for J my spouse would not be pleased!
Old Apr 3, 17, 6:46 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, you may not be able to find 2 F awards on the same flight.

This could force the decision.
Old Apr 3, 17, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post

Getting 2 F awards seats on ANA on the same flight is not difficult. I was able to secure such booking for the December Christmas period and returning in first days of January with little difficulty for this year end.
Old Apr 3, 17, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post

Last week, I had no trouble booking 2 F awards for November 2017 travel.
Old Apr 3, 17, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by JMontpelier View Post
Last week, I had no trouble booking 2 F awards for November 2017 travel.
i had redeemed Etihad miles for two F SFO NRT and two F HND LAX.. so it is possible

Search this Thread
Search Engine: