Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Way to Get to Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

The Best Way to Get to Seoul

Looks like the best bang for the award travel buck is to use ANA. As a test, I found this round-trip business-class flight:

10/4/2017
leaves 10:20 EWR-YYZ AC8671
arrives 16:30+1 day YYZ-Seoul AC061

10/18/2017
leaves 18:40 Seoul-SEA OZ272
arrives 23:12 SEA-EWR UA209

All but the final leg (SEA-EWR) are business. The cost is 95K and $171.78.

The same flight would cost 160K points in United. Am I on the right path here? ANA is the way to go? And is there no way to use United? Most of my points are with them. Searching through the net, it seems like there was a time when you could book ANA flights using MileagePlus for 110K.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Mileage Plus changed redemption rules awhile ago (at least in Airline terms) making partner premium class awards more miles than UA redemptions. ANA tends to be the best J class redemption value.

I'm guessing you're transferring Amex MR points to NH for this?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Mileage Plus changed redemption rules awhile ago (at least in Airline terms) making partner premium class awards more miles than UA redemptions. ANA tends to be the best J class redemption value.

I'm guessing you're transferring Amex MR points to NH for this?
Ugh. Nothing like devaluing to make you really earn and burn. Yes, Amex MR points to ANA -- I also have Starwood, but I'd rather not use them because I usually use them for hotel stays. I wish there was a way I could transfer my United or AA miles to ANA!

Last edited by yoyomama79; Jan 16, 2017 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk yoyomama79. We'll move this to the NH forum as you're looking at flying them.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk

<mod hat off>
The one time I flew back from ICN was via DXB on EK
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
OP you're wanting to fly on *a why not JFK-ICN direct Asiana A380 in J?

Smartium is pretty good w/ direct aisle.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Lack of award availability. But it is available the day before and I'd prefer that flight over AC any day.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
OP you're wanting to fly on *a why not JFK-ICN direct Asiana A380 in J?

Smartium is pretty good w/ direct aisle.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Lack of award availability. But it is available the day before and I'd prefer that flight over AC any day.
Or for the inbound. ICN-JFK OZ smartium seems pretty open. SEA-EWR is quite a long painful route for Y especially if you have another way to enjoy premium class.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
If you will connect NH via Tokyo, try HND. HND to GMP (Seoul Gimpo airport) has several flights per day AND Gimpo airpot is 1,000 times faster for immigration, landing etc. It has just a few international flights a day so it's never busy. And it's waay closer to Seoul, saving you at least 30-40 minutes. Also, when you depart, you don't have to go a ridiculous three hours early...I'm always there an hour and a few minutes early.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Well you were going to pay 160k miles via United anyways why dont just book F on the leg you can't get in J for OZ?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just one thing to consider. SPG points to ANA have a bonus. 20K SPG -> 25K ANA miles, if transferred specially in 20K increments.

I feel AC and UA are pretty much on par. Figure out which seat you like better based on the actual metal you'll be flying and go from there. That's what I would do. Certainly using less miles is always better.

And yes, wouldn't it be a great world if *A miles were interchangeable between airlines? Doesn't that actually seem like an obvious benefit they might consider offering? But they can't because companies like UA suck compared to some of their partners like NH, although, I must say, the gap is closing in both directions.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by yoyomama79
Looks like the best bang for the award travel buck is to use ANA. As a test, I found this round-trip business-class flight:

10/4/2017
leaves 10:20 EWR-YYZ AC8671
arrives 16:30+1 day YYZ-Seoul AC061

10/18/2017
leaves 18:40 Seoul-SEA OZ272
arrives 23:12 SEA-EWR UA209

All but the final leg (SEA-EWR) are business. The cost is 95K and $171.78.
This itinerary is hardly best bang for the buck.

1. AC is not a good choice at all
2. OZ SEA-ICN is a 330, worst plane for their long haul other than 744
3. One leg is in Y, not to mention it is a 5+ hours flight

To me I wouldn't even bother wasting my miles on this itinerary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.