Wiki Posts
Search

My name is too long to ANA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TP Gold, *G Star Alliance
My name is too long to ANA

Hey guys, in May I will be flying to Japan and South Korea and decided to book the flight between Tokyo and Seoul in ANA, but unfortunately my name has too many characters and ANA did not accept the entire name so I've only send 4 out of my 5 names.

What I would like to know is if I will have any troubles just because my ticket only contains 4 out of my 5 names or if it is like in Europe where you usually only have the first and last name on the ticket?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milfweed20
Hey guys, in May I will be flying to Japan and South Korea and decided to book the flight between Tokyo and Seoul in ANA, but unfortunately my name has too many characters and ANA did not accept the entire name so I've only send 4 out of my 5 names.

What I would like to know is if I will have any troubles just because my ticket only contains 4 out of my 5 names or if it is like in Europe where you usually only have the first and last name on the ticket?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Without using your actual name, can you please explain about the 5 names?

Do you mean first, middle1, milddle2, middle3, last? Do all 5 appear on your passport?

Which one of the 5 (again, without using your actual name) did you drop?

FWIW, someone i know changed her legal name, after marriage, from First Middle PaternalLast-MaternalLast to First Middle P M HusbandsLast after marriage, because spelling out PaternalLast and MaternalLast would have been too long (both were long surnames to begin with), and yet she wanted to include them somehow.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 9, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Without using your actual name, can you please explain about the 5 names?

Do you mean first, middle1, milddle2, middle3, last? Do all 5 appear on your passport?

Which one of the 5 (again, without using your actual name) did you drop?

FWIW, someone i know changed her legal name, after marriage, from First Middle PaternalLast-MaternalLast to First Middle P M HusbandsLast after marriage, because spelling out PaternalLast and MaternalLast would have been too long (both were long surnames to begin with), and yet she wanted to include them somehow.
I'm Portuguese and here it is very common to have long names, so my name goes something like first name, middle 1, middle 2, middle 3and last name.

I dropped the middle 1 name. My ticket currently shows something like first name, middle 2, middle 3 and last name.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
What's on your passport? Is it truncated in any way on your passport? That's the only thing that matters as security and GAs will both verify ticket against passport
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just first and last name will be fine. No need to overcomplicate.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:11 am

ANA did not accept the entire name so I've only send 4 out of my 5 names.
What I would like to know is if I will have any troubles
I think you will be fine.

Sounds like you've already purchased the ticket (with 4 of your names on it).
Does your passport contain all 5 of your names?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'm Portuguese and here it is very common to have long names, so my name goes something like first name, middle 1, middle 2, middle 3and last name.
So Joao Luís Ricardo Miguel Martins ?

(Orange being last names and Magenta being first names)

There's no problem in booking the ticket as Joao Martins.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muji
I think you will be fine.

Sounds like you've already purchased the ticket (with 4 of your names on it).
Does your passport contain all 5 of your names?
Ticket is already purchased and my passport contains all 5 names.

I´m just a little anxious because I´ve never travelled to those parts of the world and therefore I´m not aware of their security procedures. I would like to add that the visas are not a problem to my nationality since I´m exempt up to 90 days in Japan and 60 days in South Korea.

I´ve never had any trouble flying only with my first and last name to countries where I'm visa exempt or can get one up on arrival, but as I said this is my first time in this geographical area.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
So Joao Luís Ricardo Miguel Martins ?

(Orange being last names and Magenta being first names)

There's no problem in booking the ticket as Joao Martins.
Yes, my name is similar to that.

I've booked the ticket with Joao Ricardo Miguel Martins, dropping the first middle name (Luis in this case).

Last edited by milfweed20; Jan 10, 2017 at 5:51 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: EBG & Freccia Alata
I can relate to your problem. I've flown my entire life (~60 legs 2016) with the following:

Passport name: FirstName Middle1 Middle2 LastName1 LastName2
On boarding pass: FirstName, LastName1Initial, LastName2
Example on boarding pass: John F Doe

No issue at all. Only once at HKG the unexperienced check-in agent did a double-take. She didn't even comment on it though.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:03 am

I´m just a little anxious because I´ve never travelled to those parts of the world and therefore I´m not aware of their security procedures.
That shouldn't be an issue for Japan (or for South Korea). I never indicate my middle names while booking tickets and it has always been fine.

I would be careful with Visa application and the forms for VWP (visa waiver programs), where they usually require you to indicate your complete name. These forms usually have plenty of space.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes, my name is similar to that.
I won't ask how you decided on your FT name!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:03 am

I'm also Portuguese, have 6 names on my passport plus a 'de'. I've travelled all around the world with only first and last name on ticket and BP. Never had a problem anywhere, including Europe, USA, South America, Africa and Asia. You'll be fine.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Vor tickets, just use your first and last name. The less names you use, the less chance you have of making a typo which could require the ticket to be changed (and sometimes that costs a change fee). I personally never use my middle name.

Of course any form that requires a COMPLETE NAME you should do just that.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
The less names you use, the less chance you have of making a typo which could require the ticket to be changed (and sometimes that costs a change fee).
IATA permits certain number of typos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.