Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

First Class ("First Square") seating and service thread [consolidated]

First Class ("First Square") seating and service thread [consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:53 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 24left
Wiki Link
1-2-1 in 2 rows, 8 seats in total.
ANA website on F class is here (link).
F Menus and meals FT thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...enu-meals.html
Photos of the F Suites on the 777-300ER can be seen in post 120 (link).
FAQ about ANA "First square".
1. What is the best seat for a solo passenger?
Any of the window seats.
2. What is the best seat for a couple?
No consensus. Discussion on the topic of two people traveling together in F is here Two traveling in F or in post 121
3. I see 1A blocked. Is it occupied?
It will be released to all at online check-in (t-24) if not occupied.
4. What planes have the first class suites? Only 77W
5. What routes have the first class suites?
NRT-JFK,LAX,SFO,ORD,IAD,IAH on 77W
HND-JFK,LAX,ORD,FRA,LHR on 77W
6. Is the seat padded in bed mode?
Yes. A a flight attendant will add a comfortable pad atop the spacious flat-bed seat.
7. What's up with all this chatter about hot cabins?
The cabin temperature seems to be maintained very warm relative to most westerners' preferences, but it seems to be the prefered temperature for Japanese passengers.
You will survive.
8. Can you dine together with a partner in a suite like Cathay Pacific first class?
Unfortunately, no.
Print Wikipost

Old May 7, 16, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Post First Class ("First Square") seating and service thread [consolidated]

Hello Flytalkers. On my upcoming trip, I am flying in F class from LAX to NRT on ANA. I never flew F class transpacific before. Any tips are appreciated. Here's my questions.

1) Are there any forum threads about F Class IOJ? Reviews, queries, tips?

2) I got a window seat, 1K. If I wanted a window seat, is that better than 2K? Seats 1A and 2A is blocked.

3) From ANA website, F Class get Pajamas (loungewear). Do I need to let ANA know my Size? I am definitely a Small. ** As I want to maximize the first class experience, I just don't want to be given a 'Large' size and can't use it.

4) Hypothetically, if there is an equipment change and there is no F class on LAX to NRT, will ANA lower me to Business class or will they try to reroute me on other ANA transpacific with F class offering? They wouldn't route me on Global First on UA will they?! Change to SQ or OZ is .
Old May 7, 16, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
2) Not much difference in the seats. Westbound, the starboard side has better views and less sun.

3) Plenty of PJs. Just tell them your size when they hand out amenities.

4) Anything is possible, but ANA is usually pretty reliable.
Old May 8, 16, 2:23 am

1)What is IOJ?
3)Definitely a small? This is a Japanese airline. I don't know about you definitely being a small in Japan, but yes, there are plenty of sizes. You don't have to let them know in advance.
4)I wouldn't worry about equipment change. That is the least of your worries.

If you want to maximize, they have lots of good food on-board (in addition to the meal there are "snacks", which are basically full meals. You should probably not eat much at LAX beforehand and go on-board hungry.
Old May 8, 16, 8:09 am
Original Poster

IOJ is Inspiration of Japan. NH's service model for International flights.
Old May 8, 16, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by United5459 View Post
IOJ is Inspiration of Japan. NH's service model for International flights.
I don't understand how that is relevant to first-class.
Old May 8, 16, 10:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
I've flown in 2A before, fantastic flight.

IF you are only so lucky, the cool part on my flight was, 1A (2A, myself) 1K and 2K were all taken, so there was only a total of 4 out of 8 passengers in first, so all the "middle" box seats, 1D/G and 2D/G were free, so the cabin attendants set up 2D as my bed and I used 2A for dining/entertainment (the same was done for the other passengers, 1A had 1D set up etc.
Old May 8, 16, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
2) Not much difference in the seats. Westbound, the starboard side has better views and less sun.
Starboard? The OP isn't going on a NH boat.
Old May 8, 16, 3:45 pm

I am not a huge guy, but found even the largest PJs too small. My wife and I had an otherwise empty cabin over and one other person on return, so there were lots of seats and PJs to pick from. I think the seats are all about the same and pretty nice. In flight entertainment selection is pretty weak compared to most airlines I fly. Food was pretty good, although I generally don't think airline food is all that great. The Japanese selections can be some of the better stuff in the sky, it's lighter and the flavor components work at altitude. Service was quite good, unobtrusive but engaged whenever we wanted anything.
Old May 8, 16, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
I don't understand how that is relevant to first-class.
It's not relevant anymore but it used to be. Previously I believe it was used between old F/J 777s and new F/J 777s but there's no longer a risk of getting non-IOJ (don't think they exist anymore) and it was only really an issue for NRT - IAD - NRT route in recent years while they were finishing the refurb (I know because I got old F in 2014 when they were swapping the IOJ 777s in and out every month or so)
Old May 8, 16, 5:12 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
It's not relevant anymore but it used to be. Previously I believe it was used between old F/J 777s and new F/J 777s but there's no longer a risk of getting non-IOJ (don't think they exist anymore) and it was only really an issue for NRT - IAD - NRT route in recent years while they were finishing the refurb (I know because I got old F in 2014 when they were swapping the IOJ 777s in and out every month or so)
In some ways I preferred the old F, very specifically for window seats. The Square does cut the view pretty effectively.
Old May 8, 16, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
In some ways I preferred the old F, very specifically for window seats. The Square does cut the view pretty effectively.
Yes and what I say is the biggest flaw of the design.

But it's an great way to make the middle seats not feel "left out" if they actually fly out with more than 4 people. I've never seen an full F cabin myself but my friends have.
Old May 9, 16, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL GM 2MM
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
Starboard? The OP isn't going on a NH boat.
You obviously haven't flown on the latest NH aircraft where it is a commonly used term as for example on a recent flight from KNZ to NRT where the Captain announced that a delayed arrival was anticipated because of a problem with the "starboard" impulse engine.
Old May 9, 16, 3:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Naval terminology in aviation is nothing new. Heck the uniforms of most airline "Captains" / aircrew are derived from the Navy tradition.
royng likes this.
Old May 9, 16, 11:21 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Plat/LTG, Hilton Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Yes and what I say is the biggest flaw of the design.

But it's an great way to make the middle seats not feel "left out" if they actually fly out with more than 4 people. I've never seen an full F cabin myself but my friends have.
Agreed old F definitely had it's pluses and in some ways much preferable. Especially with a mostly empty F cabin (which limits the need for the privacy features in the First Square).

In terms of the OP's question about reviews:

Head over to the Trip Report forum - there are a number of well done TRs on NH F and the First Square. There are also some blog posts from the usual suspects (OMAAT, TPG, etc.) out there.

Check out here for meal/drink menu: https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/tw/e/asw_c...eal/#anchor008

Last edited by Duke787; May 9, 16 at 11:28 am
Old May 9, 16, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys and gals,

So there shouldn't be any real difference between seats 1K and 2K if I wanted a window seat that hasn't been taken yet?

Does it make it a negative to have a first class bulkhead?

Also, if I plan not to check-in any luggage, will I have any issue of overhead space?

I never flew international first class, so pardon for my 'amateur-ness'.

Last edited by United5459; May 9, 16 at 4:28 pm

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: