Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

How does ANA compare with other 5 Star Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt

Hi guys,
So I've been doing a bit of flying with SQ lately, in addition to my normal NH flights and have made quite a few observations between these 2 "5 Star" operators that I thought I'd share.
This is based on my experience of recent regional travel in J on SQ, so I am sure if I traveled more widely this might change but I have flown long haul with SQ a bit in the past.

Website and related
Personally, I found the SQ website to be a bit clunky. It gets the job done but a bit odd. I also got strange garbled SMS messages from SQ regarding checkin. For NH, I prefer the older website.. still coming to grips with the new one.

Check-In
No real significant difference there.. both seem pretty effort less.

At the lounge
Generally speaking, I think the SQ lounges are a bit better, in particular the food, even considering I am using the Suites loungers in Japan vs the standard J lounge in Singapore and other places. Layout not as cramped in SQ lounges.

At the Gate
I found NH's gate operations to be much more clinical and precise and generally apologetic for even the smallest delays. SQ's seemed a bit all over the place in terms of boarding priority and so forth.

In the air
- I found SQ's aircraft seating is generally better and not as cramped as NH on the whole. Obviously NH's BS seating is great, but not used on many routes.
- IFE sooooo much better on SQ than NH. NH a joke really in terms of movies on offer.
- SQ has generally "harsher", "transactional" nature of service. NH has a much more delicate touch. I noticed it is very obvious that SQ takes care of its elites before anyone else in terms of meal preference. I guess NH does this too, but not as overtly.
- SQ had loud talking in the galley especially by stewards and minimal attempt at all not to make much noise. Speed and efficiency seems to be king as cabin staff rush around.
- For SQ, Economy class was not held back when deplaning when using the 2nd door in 2 class... very surprising.

Anyway, these are a few observations. Happy to hear yours!
Old May 1, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
I basically agree with your observations. SQ website is awful, better than when it was firts rolled out but there seems something really wrong and its always a problem.
NH J food long haul much improved, much better chance of upgrades on NH, SQ hate to do it !IFE better than it was but content stays on for too long, SQ agreed is better.
SQ lounges better for food, agreed, and drink, more variety.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Ah yes, I forgot to comment of the inflight food. I find NH well ahead of SQ..I've been disappointed a number of times with SQ food as being down right average in J, but I can't say I've ever had an issue with NH meals in J, especially the Japanese meal.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
Both are great airlines for long haul J:

- NH food is good, but not much selection, I like 'book the cook' in SQ J and F.

- IFE much better with SQ for my tastes

- Service NH is a bit better than SQ

-Now the most important thing: the seat. And I am talking long haul.
I like NH's business staggered but SQs new J seat in 777ER is better for me.

But as I said, both pretty good compared to the rest out there...
Old May 4, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Maybe I would say NH J > SQ J

But really SQ F >........... NH F
Old May 8, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
NH has been pretty much improving recent years, esp in J - it is true
However, SQ is still a bit ahead in several aspects. I got an impression that passengers
were well taken care of by attendants with good distance :-:
Biz class food was nice on NH, particularly amuse and starters, but incredibly slow serving -

Years ago I took NH Y-class on B763 which installed "fixed back shell seating" -
no reclining but sliding forward... I call it "torture seat". Still traumatic experience to me
when taking NH Y-class. Hope the style was extinct..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.