ANA RTW itinerary questions

Old Jan 13, 16, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

ANA RTW itinerary questions

Hi, my apology in advance if this has been asked. I have questions about ANA RTW award itinerary, and what's considered backtracking.

My understanding of the RTW rule is that the itinerary have to head in a specific direction either East or West orientation. With that rule in mind, is the following itinerary considered valid:

SFO-YUL-FRA-OSL-AES (stopover)
AES-CPH-ZRH (stopover)
ZRH-WAW-NRT (stopover)
NRT-TPE (stopover)
TPE-ICN-SEA

Will the NRT-TPE, and TPE-ICN be considered as backtracking?

What about the following itinerary?

AES-CPH-ZRH (stopover)
ZRH-WAW-NRT (stopover)
NRT-BKK-SIN (stopover)
SIN-ICN-SFO

Is it considered backtracking, going from NRT to SIN, then SIN to ICN on the way to SFO?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by r0m8470; Jan 13, 16 at 6:18 pm
Old Jan 13, 16, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
Hi, my apology in advance if this has been asked. I have questions about ANA RTW itinerary, and what's considered backtracking.

My understanding of the RTW rule is that the itinerary have to head in a specific direction either East or West orientation. With that rule in mind, is the following itinerary considered valid:

AES-CPH-ZRH (stopover)
ZRH-WAW-NRT (stopover)
NRT-TPE (stopover)
TPE-ICN-SEA

Will the NRT-TPE, and TPE-ICN be considered as backtracking?

What about the following itinerary?

AES-CPH-ZRH (stopover)
ZRH-WAW-NRT (stopover)
NRT-BKK-SIN (stopover)
SIN-ICN-SFO

Is it considered backtracking, going from NRT to SIN, then SIN to ICN on the way to SFO?

Thank you in advance!
The Star Alliance website has a function to build RTW itineraries, it will also check if your selections are allowed, or rather only allow you to make proper selections
Old Jan 13, 16, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Thks.

But Star A website is not tailored for specific airline program, isn't it? I don't think there is a rule built in to the website for it to say something along the lines of "This itinerary cannot be booked using Mileage Club because it violates the maximum number of stopover permitted in Europe".

I plugged in the itinerary above, and the site allowed me to book for revenue ticket, but not for award ticket, yes?

My mistake for not specifying award RTW ticket in the original post (now corrected).
Old Jan 13, 16, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by r0m8470 View Post
Thks.

But Star A website is not tailored for specific airline program, isn't it? I don't think there is a rule built in to the website for it to say something along the lines of "This itinerary cannot be booked using Mileage Club because it violates the maximum number of stopover permitted in Europe".

I plugged in the itinerary above, and the site allowed me to book for revenue ticket, but not for award ticket, yes?

My mistake for not specifying award RTW ticket in the original post (now corrected).
I thought you were talking revenue booking. Indeed the Star Alliance site is only helpful for that... :-)
Old Jan 17, 16, 3:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
I've been trying to figure out a similar issue myself. HKG-CGK-NRT (CGK is just east of HKG). My gut tells me that if they are in the same zone, it might be okay (ergo Asia 2, in this case). I've been meaning to call ANA but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe you can help me with another question: if I can find Milesaver on UA or Fixed rates on Aeroplan, is there a good chance those flights are available on NH? I'm finding, for example, Turkish air flights on UA at the milesaver rate but they won't show up on NH. It's absolutely maddening!

EDIT: I'm starting to wonder if "mixed cabin" milesaver flights aren't showing up on ANA search tool. So BNA-ORD-NRT with the first leg being economy and second leg being business shows up as Business milesaver on UA but doesn't show up at all on ANA.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Jan 17, 16 at 3:53 pm
Old Jan 17, 16, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Dia, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
The rules, literally read, seem to say that you can't change from east to west at all, but there are reports online where people get away with a ton of regional backtracking.

For example, here's a Japanese blogger who booked TPE/IST/GRU/YYZ/ORD/NRT/BKK/HND/HAN/HND//NRT/TPE:

http://www.premium-flight.com/amc_award_rtw/

Here's someone else who booked a bunch of backtracking within Europe:

http://note.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/n71614
Old Jan 17, 16, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
The rules, literally read, seem to say that you can't change from east to west at all, but there are reports online where people get away with a ton of regional backtracking.

For example, here's a Japanese blogger who booked TPE/IST/GRU/YYZ/ORD/NRT/BKK/HND/HAN/HND//NRT/TPE:

http://www.premium-flight.com/amc_award_rtw/

Here's someone else who booked a bunch of backtracking within Europe:

http://note.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/detail/n71614
Ah. I'm thinking My flights will be fine then. In other news I tried calling in twice earlier today and was on hold more than 30 minutes. Never got anyone either. Annoying.
Old Feb 19, 17, 8:02 pm

Last time I transferred points over from MR to ANA, it took a couple of days. Given the complexities of a RTW itinerary, will ANA hold these segments for my points to post? I know they typically will not hold, but thought w/ RTW they might. One segment gone could derail the whole thing (and I'm booking J x5 where possible...ugh).
Old Jul 3, 17, 8:16 pm

I'll be trying to book this trip in J in September for July 2018 so currently gearing up with some possible routings. We'll likely stop in Europe, then onto HKG, DPS, and NRT, before heading back to US. Can anyone advise on best strategies for fuel surcharges? Would we be better off heading to Asia first? Any particular partner airlines we should focus on to avoid hefty fuel surcharges? We don't really care where we stop in Europe, so could choose city based on airline.
Old Jul 5, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis View Post
I'll be trying to book this trip in J in September for July 2018 so currently gearing up with some possible routings. We'll likely stop in Europe, then onto HKG, DPS, and NRT, before heading back to US. Can anyone advise on best strategies for fuel surcharges? Would we be better off heading to Asia first? Any particular partner airlines we should focus on to avoid hefty fuel surcharges? We don't really care where we stop in Europe, so could choose city based on airline.
So when you say "we", do you mean 2 or larger family or a group of friends? If it's more than 2 people, your choice of airline/route may be limited to those offering >2 award seats. ITA matrix may give you a better sense of surcharges on different routes from various airports. Good luck and report back on your successful booked itinerary.
Old Jul 6, 17, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by arfaczar View Post
So when you say "we", do you mean 2 or larger family or a group of friends? If it's more than 2 people, your choice of airline/route may be limited to those offering >2 award seats. ITA matrix may give you a better sense of surcharges on different routes from various airports. Good luck and report back on your successful booked itinerary.
We are five. And yes I'm limited likely to Turkish, Austrian, Air Canada, Singapore airlines if we want 5 in J. For shorter routes, I'm willing to put one of the teens in main cabin. So you're right. I forgot about ITA showing fuel charges. That's very helpful. But I'm finding that for the same flight booked on UA as ANA, the fees are quite different. How to determine what ANA will charge for a particular flight on a partner airline?
Old Aug 7, 17, 2:20 pm

SGP -- looks like we're in a similar boat. I'm hoping to book RTW on ANA for a trip in August of '18, so will be booking late September. Did you ever figure out about the ability to put flights on hold? I'm worried that with a long itinerary, but the time we're able to book the last leg, the early legs will be booked up.

We're a family of 4, and will have enough miles (AMEX pts) to do it all in J, but I'm thinking we'll be stuck in Y based on availability. I'm hoping to do IAD-NRT-ICN-FRA-VCE; ZRH-IAD. Flights are on ANA, OZ and UA, with just FRA-VCE on LH. Does anyone think this might be doable in J?
Old Aug 7, 17, 10:22 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by rbw5t View Post
SGP -- looks like we're in a similar boat. I'm hoping to book RTW on ANA for a trip in August of '18, so will be booking late September. Did you ever figure out about the ability to put flights on hold? I'm worried that with a long itinerary, but the time we're able to book the last leg, the early legs will be booked up.
Be aware.
You can book ANA award in 355 days advance (and some airlines, too).
Therefore, late September for August 2018 award may be too late to grab 4 J seats of NH1 IAD-NRT.
Old Aug 8, 17, 11:24 am

Yup, that's what I'm worried about. I would like to book the first day possible, but that doesn't really work for the first leg of a RTW trip, right? Don't you have to wait until 355 days from the final leg to book the whole thing, by which time availability for the first leg is almost certainly gone? Is there a workaround I'm missing? How do people do this?
Old Aug 8, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List, CX Diamond
Originally Posted by rbw5t View Post
Yup, that's what I'm worried about. I would like to book the first day possible, but that doesn't really work for the first leg of a RTW trip, right? Don't you have to wait until 355 days from the final leg to book the whole thing, by which time availability for the first leg is almost certainly gone? Is there a workaround I'm missing? How do people do this?
Not for this case, but for a simple round trip itinerary.
For example, many Japanese try to book TYO-HNL-TYO for holiday season.
Usually, They book same day turn around itinerary.

Today, they can book
NH184 NRT HNL 29JUL18 1840 0715
NH185 HNL NRT 29JUL18 1400 1725+1
Then, a few days later, they change date of NH185.

The strategy is simple.
Book as early as possible, then change them to later dates.

By the way, because of using web site is SLOW, some blogs recommend using call center. (e.g. calling before the start time of booking, tell your itinerary to the agent. At the start time, the agent does necessary operation instantly. So, call center agent's operation is faster than web site.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: