FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   How to request premium economy upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/1726898-how-request-premium-economy-upgrade.html)

z8108 Nov 24, 2015 5:44 pm

How to request premium economy upgrade?

Newly matched to NH platinum, want to request complementary upgrade to premium economy, how? Does this benefit apply to co-traveler in the same booking?

BRITINJAPAN3 Nov 25, 2015 8:17 pm

You can do when checking in on line or at the airport, but its only for the plat holder,

MrChrisC Jan 24, 2017 7:23 am

Sorry for having to revive an old post, but on the ANA website it says under Platinum/Diamond member benefits:

If Premium Economy seats are available on the departure day when boarding process has been completed, members are invited to travel in "Premium Economy" on ANA international flights at no additional charge.

Is this just a strange choice in wording, or do they actually only move Platinum and Diamond members (travelling in economy) up after boarding is completed? Anyone had any experience of op-ups despite a non-full y cabin?

Thanks in advance!

shonanroger Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

If available, you can choose premium economy seat during check-in 24 hrs before departure via app or internet site.

Tokyoite Jan 25, 2017 3:49 am

If premium economy seats are available at check in, you will get a free upgrade to premium economy. It is usually 30k jpy from Japan to north america...

shonanroger Jan 25, 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by shonanroger (Post 27813542)
If available, you can choose premium economy seat during check-in 24 hrs before departure via app or internet site.

... as Platinum or Diamond.

BRITINJAPAN3 Feb 2, 2017 6:18 am

However be ware, they often block out Platinums at 24H before if there are a lot of Diamonds

vprp Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am

I just flew HND-GMP last night. With online check in, I was able to select.a premium economy seat. I am *G and Diamond with Asiana. I have ANA membership but no status. Was I able to select this seat because there weren't many ANA elites on the flight? Or is HND-GMP such a short flight that it's simply treated like normal economy?

CPH-Flyer Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am

Originally Posted by vprp (Post 29526818)
I just flew HND-GMP last night. With online check in, I was able to select.a premium economy seat. I am *G and Diamond with Asiana. I have ANA membership but no status. Was I able to select this seat because there weren't many ANA elites on the flight? Or is HND-GMP such a short flight that it's simply treated like normal economy?

ANA does not sell premium economy to GMP. Not sure if they allow everyone to select, or *G gives the possibility.

railroadtycoon Mar 15, 2018 10:22 am

There are flights (eg like to GMP) that have premium economy seats, but tickets are sold as economy. (They don't sell PY tickets). Rather these seats are often saved for those paying full fare economy or those with ANA elite and star gold to pick at check in.

sodaisei Mar 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3 (Post 27854167)
However be ware, they often block out Platinums at 24H before if there are a lot of Diamonds

As a Platinum I have never been able to achieve an upgrade to Premium economy... ANA Platinum status is not so useful considering the thousands and thousands of Japanese businessman that are Diamond... I would like to know if for someone who can get Platinum and not Diamond in a year it should be better to change to another Asian or American airline to actually get upgrades and benefits...

CPH-Flyer Mar 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29529941)
As a Platinum I have never been able to achieve an upgrade to Premium economy... ANA Platinum status is not so useful considering the thousands and thousands of Japanese businessman that are Diamond... I would like to know if for someone who can get Platinum and not Diamond in a year it should be better to change to another Asian or American airline to actually get upgrades and benefits...

It really depends on your flying patterns. Asian carriers are not big on upgrades like the US carriers are. And the main part of the upgrade game seems to be on domestic US flights.

If you can make Executive Platinum with AA, 1K with United, or Diamond Medalion with Delta, and take the specific carrier TPAC and domestic US, yes then you will be in a much better position. If you reach the lower levels of these programs, you will be in the same boat as now, that a lot of higher ranked passengers takes precedent over your benefits. And even at these levels you will be competeing with GS and CK members who outranks you, though generally it seems to work well without reaching the dissy heights of GS and CK.

Tokyoite Mar 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Getting back to topic, you can do an online request for premium economy upgrade, if you are a ANA elite member. Whether it clears or not, depends on who else is on the request list. (Unlike US airlines, ANA doesn’t publicly show the list itself).
if you are not ANA elite, then you can buy up any remaining premium economy seats for cash at counter check in.
ANA has recently introduced a bidding system for cash upgrades. However, it is invitation only, and you don’t need to be a ANA elite to be invited.
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/my/servicei...rnational/bmp/

truncated Mar 16, 2018 2:26 am

Originally Posted by sodaisei (Post 29529941)

That's odd… I'm *G on OZ (not even NH) and I've been upgraded Y -> PY or even C on every TPAC I've flown with NH since 2015 — which is a way higher upgrade rate than on my TPACs with OZ. One time even managed to get a PY upgrade on NRT-JFK on a UA K fare. That said it might also have something to do with flying patterns — my main route is JFK-TYO (with the 68C/24PY/112Y 77Ws) or even just time of check-in at the airport (since I'm usually chronically early for my flights, and Y to PY upgrades seem to be on a space available basis).

sodaisei Mar 18, 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by truncated (Post 29530905)
That's odd… I'm *G on OZ (not even NH) and I've been upgraded Y -> PY or even C on every TPAC I've flown with NH since 2015 — which is a way higher upgrade rate than on my TPACs with OZ. One time even managed to get a PY upgrade on NRT-JFK on a UA K fare. That said it might also have something to do with flying patterns — my main route is JFK-TYO (with the 68C/24PY/112Y 77Ws) or even just time of check-in at the airport (since I'm usually chronically early for my flights, and Y to PY upgrades seem to be on a space available basis).

I guess I travel on normal business times and days (?) like Monday morning to Friday evening? Again, never been able to get a PY upgrade on a NRT - BKK for example. I am not sure if I should just login exactly 24 hours before the flight in order to be the one to request the seat or how it is decided. For my flights to the US I always fly PY or J so it doesn't really matter, but for intra-Asia flights I have to fly economy and it really sucks I can never get a PY update.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 29530019)
It really depends on your flying patterns. Asian carriers are not big on upgrades like the US carriers are. And the main part of the upgrade game seems to be on domestic US flights.

If you can make Executive Platinum with AA, 1K with United, or Diamond Medalion with Delta, and take the specific carrier TPAC and domestic US, yes then you will be in a much better position. If you reach the lower levels of these programs, you will be in the same boat as now, that a lot of higher ranked passengers takes precedent over your benefits. And even at these levels you will be competeing with GS and CK members who outranks you, though generally it seems to work well without reaching the dissy heights of GS and CK.

I guess I will have to work on getting Diamond this year... gonna be hard.