Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

[Consolidated] ANA A380 discussion (was Rumor: ANA buying A380s?)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 24left
Wiki Link
From ANA's website "The All New A380: Transforming ANA Travel to Hawaii"
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/promotio...ustop201812358

Great video of the A380 paintwork, from Airbus: https://youtu.be/wndab27nF8E
The first roll out, also from Airbus: https://youtu.be/ayQC68K9UhA

ANA Unveils the Features of its Honolulu Lounge (for the A 380)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-...nge-380-a.html
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 19, 4:53 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
I did some poking around a couple of weeks ago on united, google flights and their english website and prices were ridiculously high, so high in fact, they clearly didn't expect to sell anything at those prices. I guess I should look again.

-David
It depends on how flexible you are with your dates, and whether they overlap with some of the Japanese peak travel seasons. These flights can become ridiculously expensive in certain periods,though when I was looking at F and J, it seemed more based on timing than actual loads.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:18 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i
How many of us FT'ers have got seats on the inaugural flights so far?
I am in Premium Y. on the return HNL-NRT flight of 24 May.

Does ANA have an arrivals lounge at NRT?
Old Feb 12, 19, 4:27 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: JAL Diamond, SAS Eurobonus Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDG1 View Post
How many of us FT'ers have got seats on the inaugural flights so far?
I am in Premium Y. on the return HNL-NRT flight of 24 May.

Does ANA have an arrivals lounge at NRT?
They do have an arrivals lounge, but it is only for J and upwards, and not a *G lounge as arrival It is pretty basic, and double as domestic departure lounge. But the showers are nice.

I would guess NH Diamond members get access as well....
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CDG1 View Post
Why sell the first passenger flight exclusively to those going on a package tour with AMC? Something along the line is definitely not right.

They could have used this package tour scheme with any other Honu flight. It would have gotten them the same result with the same number of people willing to go on the package tours any time of year.

Why have they used the inaugural flight I can't understand. They aren't going to get much revenue selling to travel agents by priority. They could have gotten a lot of revenue selling the inaugural flight as a special flight for aviation enthusiasts and every other person wanting to be part the first A380 to Hawaii with ANA.

I tried contacting JTB in Paris about buying a package tour when they said 5 January with no results. I find this package tour scheme is rather odd when they could have sold it to the general public with much success even as a charity flight donating to a good cause of their choice, earthquakes, Fukushima or other.

The easiest answer can be it is cultural thing in Japan. Even in this day and age, in Japan package tour with dedicated tour guide is still very popular especially on international travel (out side of Japan) due to cultural and language barrier many Japanese feel. Japan-Hawaii route is a great example for that, many seats on flights are sold via travel agency as part of package tour like tickets sold via consolidators and often airlines sell bulk of seat to travel agents. Tickets sold directly by airlines can be very small number. Back in '80s and '90s often ANA and JAL did not even bothers to list discount fares on Japan-Hawaii route, if you wanted to by ticket directly from an airline only option was full Y fare.

In Europe, even before LCC came to play there were charter airlines which covered such demand. In Japan there was no charter only airlines which covered such market but in '80s and '90s JAL tried with JAL Ways and ANA tried with World Air Network (later renamed Air Japan), where JAL Ways and World Air Network flew to leisure destination (including Hawaii) using crew from southeast Asia countries (cheaper labor) and flights sold primary via package tour. During peak of this number of 747s at HNL every morning from NRT was impressive. However, it got to the point tour packages got too cheap, there used to be a tour package from Japan to Hawaii for less than US$500/person, air fare, hotel, and meal included. Also bubble economy in Japan bursted and end of bubble era in Japan. Both ANA and JAL made decision not to put too much effort on leisure route and concentrate on business heavy route. JAL Ways went away and Air Japan become small operation pretty much supporting mainline ANA operation.

Number of Japanese visitors to Hawaii declined because of this, and same time visitors from South Korea, Taiwan, and China have increased so Hawaii did not suffer decline in foreign visitors much. But Hawaii officials wanted to get back visitors from Japan. Hawaii officials worked with Japanese officials, including JAL and ANA, had numerous campaigns about Hawaii in Japan past few years. This effort has paid off and both ANA and JAL has decided to put back little attention to Hawaii. HA (Hawaiian Air) establishing few routes to Japan past few years was part of this also. Hence what is happening now with Japan-Hawaii route.

Even before official sales of tickets for NH A380 inaugural flights started there were travel agents in Japan advertising inaugural NH A380 tour package to Honolulu. Pretty much all were publicized in Japan only in Japanese so unless if you search internet in Japanese you did not get search results on internet. I think ANA and JAL still has to rely on sales of package tours to fill seats on Hawaii flights. To maintain a good business relationship with tour operators and travel agents, ANA just cannot say "Sorry, for A380 inaugural flight we will sell tickets on our own and will not use tour operators and travel agents."

I think what you are seeing is something unique to Japan-Honolulu route, even business class on Japan-Honolulu route is sold via package tour. It is how the market works on Japan-Honolulu route.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
The easiest answer can be it is cultural thing in Japan. ......
I think what you are seeing is something unique to Japan-Honolulu route, even business class on Japan-Honolulu route is sold via package tour. It is how the market works on Japan-Honolulu route.
@AlwaysAisle
Great and informative post. Thanks so much.