Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Business vs British Airways Business

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
ANA Business vs British Airways Business

We have our first ANA flight next month in Business on a 777-300ER, LHR-HND.

I have flown business several times, mainly on British Airways/ Qantas.

Of course I have seen all the promotional material from ANA, and the product looks great on paper. But I would be interested to hear how others who have flown both ANA and BA ib business would compare them?

I appreciate opinions are subjective, but interesting none the less (to me at least!).
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:47 am

I really enjoyed my trip in business on ANA (777). In my opinion it is better than BA club world.

The main advantages to me were that you have more personal space (large table to place a bunch of your stuff) and more privacy. The 1-2-1 configuration is very private (and gives you more personal space compared to the 2-4-2), the only time that is a negative is when travelling with a companion, it can be a bit difficult to have a conversation (although you can slide your seat forward a bit). If you are travelling alone you can get a seat by the window, you will have privacy from the aisle if you pick one where the seat is by the window and your table is next to the aisle.

Found the seat to be very comfortable, I like having the TV directly in front of me as opposed to having it off to the side (and having to stow away during takeoff/landing), and the IFE options were much better recently (just flew in March) than they used to be (much larger movie selection with a lot of newly released films). With the staggered seat you do end up with your feet under someone's table, and I know some people don't like that, I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

Food was also excellent, although not a clear cut winner in this area.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
I have not flown BA business, but I find ANA superior to United, Korean, KLM, Air France and SAS on long-haul business. The only airline I've experienced that has better comfort is Singapore Airlines, which has a bigger space (it's almost like a room with a bed). But the ANA lie-flat seat is very good, and the food (Japanese selection) is the best I've experienced on an airline, hands down!

I'm flying ANA next week again and looking forward to it
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I would rate ANA higher than BA in almost all aspects, seats, food, and service. If you have emerald status with Oneworld, you will get better lounges in both London and Tokyo with BA, than what ANA has to offer. Even counting the Suite Lounge in Tokyo (reserved for First class and ANA Diamond members)

Some people do find the menus (and the style of service) very Japanese, and do not appreciate that.

Of the airlines I have flown in business class I would rate ANA the highest.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA plat pro, HH Diamond
I am a BA Gold and know the CW product well, and I flew ANA J the first time yesterday (ORD-NRT-SIN).

I would rate SQ, QR and CX all above both BA and ANA in J. But I would rate both BA and ANA above the likes of United etc.

Assuming you get the proper long haul product on ANA with the staggered seats then I think ANA is comparable to BA J, with all the differences basically coming down to individual preferences. (The ANA product on the NRT-SIN leg is the cradle seat, and far below what you get on CW as no flat bed - so ensure you avoid that one)

Here the differences, all down to individual preference in my view:
Both seats are equally 'ok but not amazing' to sleep. I like the privacy of the ANA seat, but some people may like to have the option of being able to sit next to their partner on BA. ANA food options are mainly Japanese, with less selection for 'international', I personally prefer more British / western food on BA. ANA entertainment has less western / hollywood type options than BA, but caters much better to a Japanese audience. I personally prefer the attitude and personality of the BA cabin crew, ANA seemed very robotic. I didn't particularly enjoy the ANA / United J lounges I visited (NRT, ORD), BA lounges at LHR and Oneworld lounges in outstations have been less crowded and better in my experience. ANA only serves coke zero, I prefer diet coke on BA.

In summary, I think you will be fine on ANA J if you expect a product similar to CW overall, and avoid the cradle seat.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Thank you for your replies. It all sounds positive feedback. We are in a staggered business class cabin, so even better.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Just to chime in with the rest, I love ANAs staggered business. The window seats offer nice privacy and comfort. The service is delightful in the sometimes ritualistic Japanese way. I found the FAs friendly, a little reserved and anticipatory like a good restaurant. The food is great as long as you like Japanese. If you like whisky try the Suntory Hibiki 17yr. I think its fantastic. About the only complaint I might have is the in-flight entertainment is a little limited, but for me that is a minor thing.

Last edited by Derrico; Mar 14, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.