Wiki Posts
Search

ANA To NRT, Then a 8 Hour Layover

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
Question ANA To NRT, Then a 8 Hour Layover

We are trying to decide which airline to take from the USA to BKK as our ultimate destination and most go over NRT. ANA/United is an option where we would have ANA from IAH to BKK and United back to the US out of NRT. Our travel will be leaving in late January and returning in mid February.

I read really good things about ANA as an airline though we would be Economy passengers. I was wondering what to do with my 8 hour layover at NRT. Some suggestions I have read include leaving the airport and going to Narita city for a day. I would be interested in reading more about what we could do with 8 hours @ NRT (excluding Tokyo & Disney please).

I do not know if ANA recognizes UA status that was obtained through a Marriott promotion but I have Silver status with United through Marriott which allows you to upgrade free on United the day of the flight if Economy Plus seats are available. Does ANA allow this or recognize this status?

I do appreciate the forthcoming comments as 8 hours at a airport sounds really boring to me but I understand both NRT as an airport and Narita City offer some really cool things to see and do.

Last edited by SimpleManToo; Sep 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'd look at other options with less connection time including ones through FRA.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 9:36 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
ANA To NRT, Then a 8 Hour Layover

For answers to your layover question, please have a look at the Japan forum. There are many existing threads with answers to your very question.

Since NH does not have Economy Plus seating, there is no complimentary upgrade. (That only applies if you are on UA metal.)
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
We are trying to decide which airline to take from the USA to BKK as our ultimate destination and most go over NRT. ANA/United is an option where we would have ANA from IAH to BKK and United back to the US out of NRT. Our travel will be leaving in late January and returning in mid February.

I read really good things about ANA as an airline though we would be Economy passengers. I was wondering what to do with my 8 hour layover at NRT. Some suggestions I have read include leaving the airport and going to Narita city for a day. I would be interested in reading more about what we could do with 8 hours @ NRT (excluding Tokyo & Disney please).

I do not know if ANA recognizes UA status that was obtained through a Marriott promotion but I have Silver status with United through Marriott which allows you to upgrade free on United the day of the flight if Economy Plus seats are available. Does ANA allow this or recognize this status?

I do appreciate the forthcoming comments as 8 hours at a airport sounds really boring to me but I understand both NRT as an airport and Narita City offer some really cool things to see and do.
ANA flies out of IAH?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I've done a lot of long haul to long haul transits at NRT with long layovers. I check into a day room for some shut eye and a shower. Works wonders on 20+ hour trips for arriving refreshed.

If I were you, I'd check in for 6 hours of sleep and a shower and then have a meal in NRT before boarding. There is a place in NRT airside with a good ramen/beef bowl combo.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I read really good things about ANA as an airline though we would be Economy passengers.
ANA does not fly to IAH, so you will still fly UA from IAH to ORD/LAX/SFO/SJC/SEA, one of NH's gateway city in order to connect to NH flight to NRT.

You don't get much good things about any airline when you are flying economy, the only thing for sure ANA is better than others are meals. However, in terms of mid-flight snack, it is still as crappy as UA. If you can't understand japanese, most ANA's AVOD system will be useless to you, as other than movies, there are no english sub-tiltles for any other programs. Btw, ANA's economy seat is non-reclining fixed back type, so be warned about that.

UA silver equal to star alliance silver, when you are flying non UA but a star alliance partner, you will only be recognize as star alliance silver status, and star alliance silver give you minimal perks, priority standby for missing a flight, and priority reservation waitlist, two things thats all.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
Scroll to the bottom of the page for star alliance silver status

Like armagebedar explain, ANA has no equivalent to UA economy plus, you are not entiltle to better seats base on your status, there is also no priority boarding, no priority security, no priority luggage, no priority checkin, etc. You have to fly UA in order to get those perks.

Originally Posted by 5khours
I'd look at other options with less connection time including ones through FRA.
If this is a revenue ticket, I would not suggest routings go thru FRA, as (1) NH doesn't fly IAH-Europe, the ticket would cost way high (2) OP is UA silver, UA silver earn 25% bonus miles on NH TPAC flight base on UA/NH JV, you don't get that 25% bonus when you fly NH Europe-Japan.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, SPG Gold
This is EXACTLY the kind of information I was wanting. Its a UA Code Share flight evidently out of Houston which isnt our origin anyway but we need to get to a gateway.

I am considering Korean out of Atlanta on the new Airbus 380 over Seoul to Bangkok with the layover being in Seoul instead of NRT. Comments please???

FRA has been priced way out of line with other airlines. Seems UA & DL have the majority of the flights from either ATL, IAH or ORD (Which I prefer to avoid in January/Feb).

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
ANA does not fly to IAH, so you will still fly UA from IAH to ORD/LAX/SFO/SJC/SEA, one of NH's gateway city in order to connect to NH flight to NRT.

You don't get much good things about any airline when you are flying economy, the only thing for sure ANA is better than others are meals. However, in terms of mid-flight snack, it is still as crappy as UA. If you can't understand japanese, most ANA's AVOD system will be useless to you, as other than movies, there are no english sub-tiltles for any other programs. Btw, ANA's economy seat is non-reclining fixed back type, so be warned about that.

UA silver equal to star alliance silver, when you are flying non UA but a star alliance partner, you will only be recognize as star alliance silver status, and star alliance silver give you minimal perks, priority standby for missing a flight, and priority reservation waitlist, two things thats all.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/
Scroll to the bottom of the page for star alliance silver status

Like armagebedar explain, ANA has no equivalent to UA economy plus, you are not entiltle to better seats base on your status, there is also no priority boarding, no priority security, no priority luggage, no priority checkin, etc. You have to fly UA in order to get those perks.

If this is a revenue ticket, I would not suggest routings go thru FRA, as (1) NH doesn't fly IAH-Europe, the ticket would cost way high (2) OP is UA silver, UA silver earn 25% bonus miles on NH TPAC flight base on UA/NH JV, you don't get that 25% bonus when you fly NH Europe-Japan.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just flew to NRT (with connection to SIN) with ANA from SJC in their Dreamliner. My best experience yet in economy for this long leg.
Did not have much of a layover (<2hrs) in NRT. I think going to BKK with ANA915 has a short connection time also.
ANA service is fantastic even in economy. The Dreamliner used for this flight offers a lot of advantages over the old United metal. Other threads cover that.
Connecting through SJC is a better option IMHO. Just checked the prices for two dovetailing flights (one for IAH-SJC and another for SJC-BKK in a UA flight operated by ANA), $417 and $1077 respectively. Also saw a $1440 UA flight going through DEN and then on to BKK in a UA Dreamliner but with UA service in the Transpac leg. No 8hr layover either. Dates checked are for Jan. I would not expect an upgrade with Silver status.
Your choice and good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.