Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA cuts back Economy int'l baggage allowance [ends 07JAN15]

Old Apr 25, 13, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Alaska Mileage Plan, Amtrak Guest Rewards

Just got the email a bit ago.

From 2 pc at 50 pounds to just the one. Biz stays at [email protected], First class at [email protected]

Second checked bag is $100. Third and up is $200/ea. This is effective for flights June 1 and later.

They are also running a campaign where if you check in online for a flight from 6/1 to the end of September, you get that second bag free. So I guess that kind of eases the burden a bit if, like me, you're planning on going this summer.
Old Apr 25, 13, 6:13 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), HGP D, HH D, IHG SE
I didn't even get an email Not only that, but for all classes the total dimensions of each piece cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in), down from 208 cm (81 in).

They claim it's to harmonize with their JV partners (LH/UA). I hardly carry enough luggage for it to be an issue, but it's still a devaluation!
Old Apr 25, 13, 7:25 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
I didn't even get an email Not only that, but for all classes the total dimensions of each piece cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in), down from 208 cm (81 in).

They claim it's to harmonize with their JV partners (LH/UA). I hardly carry enough luggage for it to be an issue, but it's still a devaluation!
Also, *G will no longer get the piece weight upped to 32kg when flying in Y, so even bigger downgrade for that from 3 x 32kg to 2 x 23kg. https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/as...p_baggage.html. I make it ¥18,000 in excess baggage fees to restore the allowance to previous levels. Especially bad as the elite info packs only sent out a couple of months ago made no mention of this change, it's pretty short notice.

Only seems to apply from flights ticketed after 31/5

Originally Posted by aresef View Post
...They are also running a campaign where if you check in online for a flight from 6/1 to the end of September, you get that second bag free. So I guess that kind of eases the burden a bit if, like me, you're planning on going this summer.
The campaign doesn't apply if you have a non-ANA connecting flight as you would have to check-in at a non-ANA desk.
You can use this campaign also if you can't check-in online - like if you have an infant or wheelchair on the booking - if you ask at the airport.

Last edited by BalbC; Apr 25, 13 at 7:54 pm
Old Apr 25, 13, 9:52 pm

So unfortunately, ANA is becoming the first Asian airline that charges 2nd bag for trans-pacific route. And even higher than others (100 USD while DL/UA/AC charges ~75 USD). Disappointing.
Old Apr 25, 13, 9:58 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bobbybrown View Post
So unfortunately, ANA is becoming the first Asian airline that charges 2nd bag for trans-pacific route. And even higher than others (100 USD while DL/UA/AC charges ~75 USD). Disappointing.
Hopefully JAL won't follow this time
Old Apr 26, 13, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Not cool.
Old Apr 26, 13, 5:41 pm

Definitely not cool - I usually don't have to use it, but I always pack an extra bag inside my first bag just in case I end up coming back from Japan with a ton of stuff that I can't fit in my first suitcase. I also was planning next time to bring an empty guitar case with me in case I bought something in Ochanomizu. I guess I can scratch that idea!
Old Apr 26, 13, 9:36 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
I am hoping other *A Asian airlines (namely OZ) won't follow suit, especially for *G. Whenever I travel to Asia, I tend to buy a bunch of stuff & the extra luggage comes in handy. I guess this will put NH lower on my list of TPAC carriers again.

LAX
Old Apr 26, 13, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Originally Posted by bobbybrown

JAL won't, for a while, as long as AA doesn't charge 2nd bag fee. AA is proudly the last North American airline that doesn't charge 2nd bag fee.

I just realized that UA will make the rule same with NH from June 1st, 2013 (same date), charging 100 USD for the 2nd bag. (This is actually an old news.) It's called a Joint Venture.
Old Apr 26, 13, 11:11 pm

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Thanks for the info, this definitely sucks...
Old Apr 27, 13, 4:22 am

Programs: NH Plat
JAL won't, for a while, as long as AA doesn't charge 2nd bag fee. AA is proudly the last North American airline that doesn't charge 2nd bag fee.

I just realized that UA will make the rule same with NH from June 1st, 2013 (same date), charging 100 USD for the 2nd bag. (This is actually an old news.) It's called a Joint Venture.
LH also make the same change on this date. So it's matching all JV partners to have exactly the same checked baggage limits; excess fees are a bit different, but that might be to allow for exchange rate variation. It appears the carry-on limits for UA, LH and NH will remain different.
Old Apr 27, 13, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I think JL will likely follow in a few months and AA will be happy to follow then.
Time will tell.
Old Apr 28, 13, 3:59 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Emerald, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by supergrandslam View Post
I think JL will likely follow in a few months and AA will be happy to follow then.
Time will tell.
JAL doesn't follow NH all the time although most of the time it did.
Old May 15, 13, 4:04 am

I could not find information on luggage alloweances for *G - only for their own status levels.

Where do you see the allowance for *G?
Old May 17, 13, 2:59 am

I do not like any devaluation, but I never understood why people need to bring so much luggage. One checked bag 23 kg plus one carry on is more then enough for me for 2 month travel in different climates and I still have some room for shopping.

Search this Thread