ANA award change policy

Old May 19, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've got 5x 30k awards that I want to change to 3x 55k awards. I will need 15k more for the difference. And I suppose I will need 15k more for the "change fee" (not sure how that works if going from 5 to 3).

I am concerned that if I start the Amex transfer to ANA and it doesn't post for 4 days, I will loose the desired 55k tickets/seats (and there is no flexibility for us otherwise). Is there any way to overcome this problem?
Old May 19, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I've got 5x 30k awards that I want to change to 3x 55k awards. I will need 15k more for the difference. And I suppose I will need 15k more for the "change fee" (not sure how that works if going from 5 to 3).

I am concerned that if I start the Amex transfer to ANA and it doesn't post for 4 days, I will loose the desired 55k tickets/seats (and there is no flexibility for us otherwise). Is there any way to overcome this problem?
unfortunately none. you need the miles to do a booking, and Amex doesn't transfer instantly.
Only way to BOTH secure the available seats right away and also use your Amex points, is to transfer instead to a star alliance program that does instant transfers (after of course doing your due diligence on availability, mileage costs, taxes etc., )
Aeroplan or Lifemiles seem appropriate.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ameri...ransfer-times/
Old May 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
unfortunately none. you need the miles to do a booking, and Amex doesn't transfer instantly.
Only way to BOTH secure the available seats right away and also use your Amex points, is to transfer instead to a star alliance program that does instant transfers (after of course doing your due diligence on availability, mileage costs, taxes etc., )
Aeroplan or Lifemiles seem appropriate.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ameri...ransfer-times/
Yeah. I gotta use up these ANA points for this trip or they will expire. I think I'll do the transfer and hope that the seats are still there. I'm having a totally separate issue now with trying to get ANA to give me consistent availability. UGH!
Old May 20, 2019, 12:04 am

I had a similar problem with cancelation and rebooking. Amex transfer waiting period is a pain in the butt! If all of your flight is on ANA metal, the customer service rep might able to hold it for you while you wait for the points to come in. Good luck!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:14 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by blitzen
Hi,

Think i got it but sometimes I think that when it is not the case.
1) want to book JFK - Tokyo and Osaka - Tokyo - JFK in ANA First
2) Once the Outwards Leg opens I could book a RTW with a return a day later (note the return leg must be open too)
3) Once the Inwards leg opens up at 355 I can change that online for no extra charge
4) in this case HND/NRT or ATM/KIX are considered the same airport aka no change in routing
5) if I book today 4/10/2019 then the latest return trip would be 4/9/2020 (ticket expiration 1 yr after being issued)?
6) as it can be very advantageous to snatch the rewards up as they appear I was wondering if the legs can be switched i.e Original NYC to Tokyo 3/30 so there is no return flight available yet can I book Tokyo > New York 3/10 (or any other date that is available) and New York - Tokyo 3/30 and then change the Tokyo > New York leg to 4/15 so making the outwards and inwards and vice versa (hope I explained that well enough to be understood .... as an excuse english isn't my first language )
Thanks! Getting ready to pull the trigger
I'm also curious if that #6 above would work -- i.e., swap the origin/destination after booking in order to book the intended first segment as early as possible (meaning that is the return segment when first booked). Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Plat
If I have an award booked for 110000 miles and I want to change it to an award worth 100000, can the cancellation fee come out if the 10k difference? Or do I need 3000 in my account first before attempting any cancellation and rebook.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by godbreath
If I have an award booked for 110000 miles and I want to change it to an award worth 100000, can the cancellation fee come out if the 10k difference? Or do I need 3000 in my account first before attempting any cancellation and rebook.
I have had to cancel 2 separate reservations and they always just deducted the 3k from the ticket I was redepositing. The most recent was this past May.
godbreath likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:39 pm

If I book a RT award and can only get return to international hub (like ORD or IAH), do I just have to pay the 3k point change fee for adding a final domestic segment, assuming it becomes available eventually?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
If I book a RT award and can only get return to international hub (like ORD or IAH), do I just have to pay the 3k point change fee for adding a final domestic segment, assuming it becomes available eventually?
That would be a destination change, which would require award space to be available for all legs to do the rebooking.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That would be a destination change, which would require award space to be available for all legs to do the rebooking.
Dang. Okay. I'll just have to book the last leg separately then.

Does anyone know if UA will rebook if the AC or NH inbound is delayed? And if I can check through my bags? (I realize I may have to p/u and recheck at domestic connection.)
Old Aug 1, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Dang. Okay. I'll just have to book the last leg separately then.

Does anyone know if UA will rebook if the AC or NH inbound is delayed? And if I can check through my bags? (I realize I may have to p/u and recheck at domestic connection.)
ANA will generally check luggage through, to partners.

As for rebooking, that will depend on the conditions of the ticket you buy, and the kindness of the UA representative you speak to. UA would not have any obligations beyond the ticket conditions.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA will generally check luggage through, to partners.

As for rebooking, that will depend on the conditions of the ticket you buy, and the kindness of the UA representative you speak to. UA would not have any obligations beyond the ticket conditions.
Gotcha.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 1, 2019 at 4:53 pm
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I'm also curious if that #6 above would work -- i.e., swap the origin/destination after booking in order to book the intended first segment as early as possible (meaning that is the return segment when first booked). Thanks.
The same question came up on the thread about booking ANA using Virgin Atlantic Flying Club points. Flyertalkers have told me directly that yes, they were able to switch the order, and no, they weren't able to switch the order. YMMV since here you're talking about booking directly with ANA.
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by nnn
When the NYC-Tokyo opened up I could book a return flight too (same day) so I just changed the Tokyo-NYC flight up when it opened up again (not every day just for the first day I was willing to fly back to the optimal date). I could even chose between the Narita/Haneda flights for a few days afterwards (wasn't sure which one would work better). So if you check often (can't remember at which time of the day they opened up) you should be golden.
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:40 pm

I have an ANA award on ANA metal and already have flown the outgoing flight, it is a round trip from JFK to Tokyo.

For the remaining return flight am I able to:
1) Change to a different airport for the 3K points fee, for example change from JFK to ORD?
2) Change the return to a United flight for the 3K points fee (For example NRT to EWR)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.