Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA NRT Biz lounge food is awful

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

ANA NRT Biz lounge food is awful

ANA has fantastic food in-flight but the food in the biz lounge is terrible.

Only a few selections with no dessert.
Had fried chicken and noodles which werent tasty.

The only redeeming feature is the noodle bar hidden in a corner.
Would have missed it if i didnt see the masses of people there.

Not looking for restaurant quality but it should at least be equal to food court quality, which it isnt.

If i were to do it again, i would just go to a food court there.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: Free agent!
I've always found the food to be fine. Finger sandwiches, onigiri, those smoked salmon things, etc. It's a business class lounge, so it's meant to be more snacks than an actual dinner.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Look at it this way. It isn't great but it beats the UA lounge at NRT by miles.

That said, I prefer the UA F lounge cuisine over the NH Suite Lounge offering usually although NH's spread is usually larger with a bit more variety. The "made to order" noodles and curry, etc are nice but made to order is more like scooped out of large pot to order.

Anyways, if you want a good meal, I say find a restaurant. Unfortunately there isn't much variety of good food IMHO post security at NRT.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
I'm actually looking forward you can make the same post on the UA forum :P
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:58 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> made to order is more like scooped out of large pot to order

don't think that's possible with the anago tempura
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by beep88
>> made to order is more like scooped out of large pot to order

don't think that's possible with the anago tempura
Ok, made to order = drop it in the deep fryer. That's fine.

The curry is certainly made ahead, as is the terrible unagi. All those negative comments said, I love NH and the F meals in flight are best in class. I'm just not a huge fan of the dried out hamburger steaks and fish coupled with overcooked slimy noodles in the lounge.

The ice cream is good, as is the beer. That's good enough for me.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by cchuang1980
I'm actually looking forward you can make the same post on the UA forum :P
About preferring the UA F lounge @ NRT in terms of food? Happy to.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
ANA has fantastic food in-flight but the food in the biz lounge is terrible.

Only a few selections with no dessert.
Had fried chicken and noodles which werent tasty.

The only redeeming feature is the noodle bar hidden in a corner.
Would have missed it if i didnt see the masses of people there

Not looking for restaurant quality but it should at least be equal to food court quality, which it isnt.

If i were to do it again, i would just go to a food court there.
That's funny, since you almost missed the noodle bar, no wonder you missed the dessert. There is actually a sign saying if you want icecream you have the ask the attendant. It is very high quality French brand ice-cream Fauchon, and there are 4 flavors. You ask the attendant and the attendant will bring it to you from the kitchen.

Before NH move into T1, there was a SQ lounge, and in the SQ lounge, they had Fauchon icecream as well, and the difference is at SQ lounge they actually put the icecream out in a freezer instead of asking for one.

There are actually lots of discussions on FT about this (at least 10 threads and the topic come up all the time), I am surprised you didn't do a search and look up some of the threads before going in, rather whine about this afterwards.

Like other said, if you want good food, you have to go to a restaurant, this is an airline lounge afterall, it wasn't meant to have a food court inside, I don't know what other airline lounge would qualify for that quality especially to a C class lounge ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:03 pm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 2:48 am

OP - I think you should stay away from NH C and you will be happier. This thread, and your other one about the lack of amenity kit in C, makes it seem as though you really like to complain.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
There is actually a sign saying if you want icecream you have the ask the attendant. It is very high quality French brand ice-cream Fauchon, and there are 4 flavors. You ask the attendant and the attendant will bring it to you from the kitchen.
I was in the lounge recently (31Jan) and asked for the ice cream and was told that they no longer have it.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I was in the lounge recently (31Jan) and asked for the ice cream and was told that they no longer have it.
The ice cream has sadly been gone for years on the J side. But to me it feels like the catering has actually improved in recent times at least in terms of variety... there didn't used to be any hot options other than the noodle bar, then they added soup, and then recently added the yakisoba and other hot plate dishes.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I cant think of many *A biz lounges that do much better. Soup, sandwiches, vegetable rolls, cookies, snacks (nuts etc) and made to order noodles.

It is not five star but quite good in my opinion and fine for a lounge. It is a lounge not a restaurant.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Interesting to know. I do not eat ice cream much but could have sworn it was there a few months ago but trust your report.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by hamburgler
The ice cream has sadly been gone for years on the J side.
For sure it is NOT gone for years like you said, I still had that back in last October, it is a very recent change.

Or perhaps you never knew you actually have to ask for them ?

Originally Posted by mcgahat
I cant think of many *A biz lounges that do much better. Soup, sandwiches, vegetable rolls, cookies, snacks (nuts etc) and made to order noodles.

It is not five star but quite good in my opinion and fine for a lounge. It is a lounge not a restaurant.
+1

Perhaps OP should name what C class lounge he/she had been to offer what OP described. Not to mention, there are many C class lounges don't even have any hot food at all.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
OTOH, if someone's concept of fine dining is a "food court," they might as well never leave the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.