Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA agents unable to access Etihad award space?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond

It's showing as available on Etihad (their "saver" level), but ANA agent said requests came back a no go for dates that clearly had space according to EY's website...

Is EY blocking seats to ANA now?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:00 pm

It's the same using AA miles. Being available at the lowest level on EY FFP does not guarantee that it will be available to partner airlines.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Are you checking for "Guest Seat" space on EY.com? Partner airlines should have access to this award space.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by merc1234
Are you checking for "Guest Seat" space on EY.com? Partner airlines should have access to this award space.
As above, when I was on the phone to AA, their screen did not match Guest Seat space on EY.com. It's not that they can't see anything, but just different days available to EY.com.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I did some more testing with a very patient ANA agent to try and get to the bottom of it. Her availability matched "Guest Seat" availability 100% of the time through Nov 30, 2013. After Nov 30, it fell off a cliff--literally to zero.

Etihad apparently gives their own members first bite at the apple (not unreasonable) and then either loads one month at a time approximately 10 months out or they become available 291 days out. That or, as far as they are concerned the partnership ends Nov 30, 2013 -- and since I already transferred MR->ANA, that would be a bummer.

EDIT: Strangely, EY space is available AUH->USA for about a week into December and then also falls off a cliff. I wonder if Dec is blacked out to partners or whether it's released slowly?

Last edited by DC777Fan; Feb 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hertz
Has anyone seen if this concern has resolved? I'd like to transfer some MR points over to ANA for an Etihad booking but am hesitant if they haven't been able to see space.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
fuel surcharge close to $1000 for business, not worth it.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hertz
Originally Posted by beatxiaopi
fuel surcharge close to $1000 for business, not worth it.
This still seems like my best option... I'm trying to get to MLE with a stopover in DXB/AUH in either J or F. I have a lot of MR points, and otherwise I'm using more AA miles (270K) and either buying two J/F tickets DXB/AUH-MLE at $1000+ each (since AA doesn't allow en-route stopovers) or using another 50K AA miles.

That said, I don't want 230K orphan ANA miles sitting around that I can't use to book on Etihad.

Last edited by ohwino; Apr 24, 2013 at 7:32 am
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohwino
This still seems like my best option... I'm trying to get to MLE with a stopover in DXB/AUH in either J or F. I have a lot of MR points, and otherwise I'm using more AA miles (270K) and either buying two J/F tickets DXB/AUH-MLE at $1000+ each (since AA doesn't allow en-route stopovers) or using another 50K AA miles.

That said, I don't want 230K orphan ANA miles sitting around that I can't use to book on Etihad.
I have well more than 230k ANA miles as a result of this. OTOH, being East coast based, and living in a UA hub city (IAD), I've got all the business class trips to Europe you can shake a stick at coming my way (with no fuel surcharge). Already booked IAD-AMS for August and looking at further options for next Spring.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Does blocking of premium seats still exist? Been trying to make a booking and they seem to have zero premium seats in flights that Etihad Guest and AA both have
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
That's the main problem they block when necessary. Lots of times till the very end and than at the end, NH closes the last 4 days prior to departure for award booking.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
I called the Japan call center to try and book an EY flight in J for October, no availability even though there is guestseat J availability. Any idea how to book using NH miles?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Just wanted to update with a data point:

I called JPY and USA call centers over the past 2 weeks trying to book a fairly simple nonstop roundtrip in EY J class, guestseat availability has been open for months on EY's website. Couldn't get them to book. A couple days later, I called the SIN ANA mileage club desk and they booked it in 10 minutes.

While it could have been that EY released guestseat inventory to other airlines over a couple of days, I have a feeling that EY is blocking bookings from NH Japan and US call centers (just as they EY "blocks" award bookings from the AA US call center, but not the AA australia call center).

Last edited by psychoandy; Apr 22, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:43 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
That's very odd -- but thanks for the data point!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by psychoandy
Just wanted to update with a data point:

I called JPY and USA call centers over the past 2 weeks trying to book a fairly simple nonstop roundtrip in EY J class, guestseat availability has been open for months on EY's website. Couldn't get them to book. A couple days later, I called the SIN ANA mileage club desk and they booked it in 10 minutes.

While it could have been that EY released guestseat inventory to other airlines over a couple of days, I have a feeling that EY is blocking bookings from NH Japan and US call centers (just as they EY "blocks" award bookings from the AA US call center, but not the AA australia call center).
Side note - what fuel surcharge did they ding you with for that award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.