Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
When making a request, please specify the following for each segment for us to give you a more accurate calculation:
  • Origin
  • Destination
  • Date of departure
  • Carrier
  • Travel class

Also note that you can search for your itinerary on ITA Matrix to get an estimate of taxes and fees.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "fuel surcharge on redemptions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, TK*G, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by yerffej201
NH has fixed AC fuel surcharges, expect $600 rt. or call in to check.
Ouch. OK. That's not going to happen then.

Thank you!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 7:14 pm

I was looking to transfer AmEx pts to ANA since I can forget about using United miles for partner awards anymore.

How many months out is the best chance to score two F seats? And, taxes and fees will amount to $700 (But pricing an F ticket on ITA Matrix shows $422.70 in YQ and taxes/fees for NH metal on LAX-NRT and UA on NRT-ICN)?

Or should I just forget about F, and stick with Biz because of better availability?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:34 pm

Fuel Surchage and Taxes

I am trying to book a flight from California to Japan using ANA points (I have over 100K). But I simply cannot find anything with a reasonable Fuel Surcharge. Flying to anywhere in asia is like $500+ in surcharges.

What's the point of using ANA points if you have to pay $500 on top of that.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone show me an award route to anywhere in asia that does not have a ridiculous Fuel Surcharge (anything less than $100)

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
I am trying to book a flight from California to Japan using ANA points (I have over 100K). But I simply cannot find anything with a reasonable Fuel Surcharge. Flying to anywhere in asia is like $500+ in surcharges.

What's the point of using ANA points if you have to pay $500 on top of that.

Am I doing something wrong? Can someone show me an award route to anywhere in asia that does not have a ridiculous Fuel Surcharge (anything less than $100)

Thanks.
ANA levies fuel surcharges on airlines which have a fuel surcharge on paid tickets. That's just how it is, unfortunately.
Generally with ANA and other ff points that have YQ it's best to redeem for premium classes as generally with economy tickets the fuel surcharges are a large part of a paid ticket which reduce the value of your redemptions.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:43 pm

I believe using ANA miles to book UA flights will avoid fuel surcharges.

I'm new to ANA as well, and I'm having a tough time trying to find information on their FF program regarding fees and family program.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by nomorecoach
I believe using ANA miles to book UA flights will avoid fuel surcharges.

I'm new to ANA as well, and I'm having a tough time trying to find information on their FF program regarding fees and family program.
Only certain flights, such as some TATl flights.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:41 pm

too much feul surcharge with ANA, only UA and US's flight have no surcharge
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by lisa2926
too much feul surcharge with ANA, only UA and US's flight have no surcharge
I keep reading this everywhere, but I don't think it's true.

I tried booking a UA flight through ANA and I still got a fuel surcharge.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
I keep reading this everywhere, but I don't think it's true.

I tried booking a UA flight through ANA and I still got a fuel surcharge.
Try booking a US flight and let us know...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I have booked ANA award tickets on both US and United flights without fuel surcharge. Even if the online system shows the fuel surcharge when it actually tickets they take it out.

Also - tickets that originate in Brazil don't have the fuel surcharge either. I booked an ANA business award ticket GRU-IST-ATH-JTR-ATH-VIE-LED-IST-SGN-NRT/HND-ITM // PTY-MAO and it has no YQ (about $200 taxes and fees per person total)
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: United 1P
Redeption for EWR-CDG(stopover)-PVG

Hi All,

Am I allowed to do an one-way ANA redemption for EWR-CDG(stopover)-PVG? It does not allow me to do it online. Can I add a last segment that I can throw away?

The first segment is on United, and the second one is on Air China. What is the approximate fuel surcharge I am looking at?

Thank you!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:10 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I've merged your post into the consolidated fuel surcharges thread.

You cannot make one-way redemptions using AMC, unfortunately. There are ways to get around this. The rules state that you must begin and end in the same country, so if you fulfill that the itinerary should price.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 9:50 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by armagebedar
I've merged your post into the consolidated fuel surcharges thread.

You cannot make one-way redemptions using AMC, unfortunately. There are ways to get around this. The rules state that you must begin and end in the same country, so if you fulfill that the itinerary should price.
Thank you! I know there is a way around it. I put EWR-CDG(stopover)-PVG + YYZ-LGA on the website, but it says "Reservations for Trans-Pacific or Trans-Atlantic around the world itineraries cannot be made online". Do you suggest me to call? I prefer to book online.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by kgkg
Thank you! I know there is a way around it. I put EWR-CDG(stopover)-PVG + YYZ-LGA on the website, but it says "Reservations for Trans-Pacific or Trans-Atlantic around the world itineraries cannot be made online". Do you suggest me to call? I prefer to book online.
That's not a valid open jaw since the non-flight section must be the shortest of the 3.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I am not so sure. The website gave me the same message but icalled and successfully ticketed the award:
Gru-ist-ath-jtr-ath-vie-led-ist-sgn-nrt-kix // open jaw // pty-mao

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Originally Posted by kgkg
That's not a valid open jaw since the non-flight section must be the shortest of the 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.