Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA Experience Japan Fare and Japan Airpass (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Experience Japan Fare and Japan Airpass (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Worse case, since you have OW status, you could just book a ticket on JAL and have piece of mind https://www.jal.co.jp/yokosojapan/

I don't know schedules by heart, but since NRT is not the airport for domestic flights, the (very few) domestic flights departing from there seem to be timed specifically for International connections, so I don't think I would be too worried.

Also, do note that, IIRC, these flights are operated by ANA Wings, and I have seem many flights with Y only 783s.

Additionally, you can upgrade at the gate for 8,500 JPY, which will give you the F perks.
In the end I had to stick to ANA, the JAL version requires OW travel and since we already have ANA tickets we had to just go with ANA. I got us on the 772 for the flight to CTS so will definitely try to get the upgrade, since we are on ANA F across to Japan I think the 3-4-3 seating is going to be a shock for my wife if only for 90 minutes! The CTS-NRT flight is a 738, but my wife confirmed that she wants to spend a day in Sapporo more than anything else as this is where her family was from many moons ago.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: JL QF NZ
Originally Posted by stephem
In the end I had to stick to ANA, the JAL version requires OW travel and since we already have ANA tickets we had to just go with ANA.
While the Yokoso fare requires oneworld travel this one doesn't:
http://www.world.jal.com/world/en/ja...lorer_pass/lp/
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 777Cat3b
While the Yokoso fare requires oneworld travel this one doesn't:
http://www.world.jal.com/world/en/ja...lorer_pass/lp/
Have you tried to find availability? You have to supply your name, travel details, passport number, email address, telephone number, etc. in order to find if any flights are available when you want to fly. I much prefer ANA's booking site which tells you Experience Japan fare availability without having to supply any personal information first.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Have you tried to find availability? You have to supply your name, travel details, passport number, email address, telephone number, etc. in order to find if any flights are available when you want to fly. I much prefer ANA's booking site which tells you Experience Japan fare availability without having to supply any personal information first.
I noticed that, it was a somewhat annoying deterrent... in the end I stuck with NH for the sake of easy interlining and I am assuming better irrops protection.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: *$ Green
In the end I had to stick to ANA, the JAL version requires OW travel and since we already have ANA tickets we had to just go with ANA. I got us on the 772 for the flight to CTS so will definitely try to get the upgrade, since we are on ANA F across to Japan I think the 3-4-3 seating is going to be a shock for my wife if only for 90 minutes! The CTS-NRT flight is a 738, but my wife confirmed that she wants to spend a day in Sapporo more than anything else as this is where her family was from many moons ago.

WRT that fare upgrade, I've had agents tell me "premium class is full" many times when seats are actually free.

I think it may have been a language barrier thing, because one time I thought it was weird that it was full, and instead made my way to the Premium Class check-in, and purchased the upgrade there. No questions asked.

Maybe at the Y check-in my poor language skills worked against me and the agent thought I was just trying to get a free upgrade, or trying to do a *A upgrade since it's a Y fare and no reward space was available.

If I were you, I would not book a seat up front until at the airport. I've seen quite a few flights go from 738 2 class to 738 econ only.

Anyway, the point is, you can buy the last minute upgrade with the EJ fare, but only at the airport, and it seems that premium class agents are familiar with this, but not the Y class check in agents. Just as one of the senior agents that man the entrance of the premium check in area is my tip.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:28 am

Got upgraded on HND-CTS just now. We were charged Y9,000 each, they tried to process for free when they saw my SFO-NRT boarding pass in my passport. But alas no luck and so we just paid. Worth it for the premium class security check in alone! Given how cheap the flights were, I'm fine with the overall value.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: NH DIA+SFC+1MM; Marriott Titanium; AMEX Plat
Got upgraded on HND-CTS just now. We were charged Y9,000 each, they tried to process for free when they saw my SFO-NRT boarding pass in my passport. But alas no luck and so we just paid. Worth it for the premium class security check in alone! Given how cheap the flights were, I'm fine with the overall value.
They will have rebooked you into an F fare so you should get rates for F class when earning miles.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:03 pm

Just rolled through security in CTS now and grabbed the upgrades again. My wife protested, but since we are connecting onward in Tokyo to NH8 in F I couldn't bear to sit in economy ;-)
BTW, if you are connecting to an intl flight, they can waive taxes on the upgrade and it saves a few bucks.
Looking forward to F on NH8, there appears to be only one other person in the cabin with us!
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:15 pm

Just rolled through security in CTS now and grabbed the upgrades again. My wife protested, but since we are connecting onward in Tokyo to NH8 in F I couldn't bear to sit in economy ;-)
BTW, if you are connecting to an intl flight, they can waive taxes on the upgrade and it saves a few bucks.
Looking forward to F on NH8, there appears to be only one other person in the cabin with us!
Lucky you, enjoy.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
This is Japanese tax code and not specific to NH. If domestic/international transfer is less than 24 hrs. then tax on domestic portion is waived. This does not have to be between same carrier, if domestic NH to international UA transfer is less than 24 hrs. then domestic NH will be tax free. I have done international AA to domestic NH transfer of less than 24 hrs. more than once and domestic NH was tax free.

Japanese consumption tax is expected to increase from 8% to 10% April next year. The saving will increase bit more.

Example, arriving into NRT on 4 p.m. Next day flying HND-FUK on a flight departing 1 p.m. Stay at Fukuoka for 3 days then flying FUK-OKA. Under such situation even if entire itinerary is under one ticket HND-FUK portion will be tax free but FUK-OKA flight will not be tax free unless you are flying out of OKA on international flight in less than 24 hrs. of arrival into OKA.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
This is Japanese tax code and not specific to NH. If domestic/international transfer is less than 24 hrs. then tax on domestic portion is waived. This does not have to be between same carrier, if domestic NH to international UA transfer is less than 24 hrs. then domestic NH will be tax free. I have done international AA to domestic NH transfer of less than 24 hrs. more than once and domestic NH was tax free.

Japanese consumption tax is expected to increase from 8% to 10% April next year. The saving will increase bit more.

Example, arriving into NRT on 4 p.m. Next day flying HND-FUK on a flight departing 1 p.m. Stay at Fukuoka for 3 days then flying FUK-OKA. Under such situation even if entire itinerary is under one ticket HND-FUK portion will be tax free but FUK-OKA flight will not be tax free unless you are flying out of OKA on international flight in less than 24 hrs. of arrival into OKA.
Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
Was on the experience Japan Fare and paid for the upgrade at 9000yen each to Premium Class from FUK to CTS. Well worth the money for the Security Check in (although I get this as *G), Lounge (again for *G) and Meal (travelling during lunch time) Flight in Y was somewhat empty though with Premium around 80% full. The drinks and service onboard was good.

The local Lounge at FUK was somewhat a disappointment with just Nuts (Wasabi inclusive) for food. But lots of Liquor, Sake, Beer and other soft drinks.
The price of upgrading plus the experience Japan Fare actually could be the same price or even less than the normal Y Fare.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: QFF
Does the return ticket have to be on the same itinerary and/or returning to the same country? Would love to take advantage of this one but will be flying Air Asia to CTS and departing via JL to SYD.

Scott.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:00 am

I was never asked anything about my itinerary when flying EJ fares.

Take that as you will.

My guess is that the staff doesn't want to bother trying to communicate with you if you have a foreign passport, especially if you don't speak Japanese.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
I was never asked anything about my itinerary when flying EJ fares.

Take that as you will.

My guess is that the staff doesn't want to bother trying to communicate with you if you have a foreign passport, especially if you don't speak Japanese.
Thanks SparseFlyer, I also just noticed the website says I must hold an international ticket (or tickets) to and from Japan so that sounds to me like separate tickets should be fine.

Scott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.