Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
ANA website seat maps
https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ca/e/asw_common/departure/inflight/seatmap/
2-2-2 or 2-3-2 staggered all isle seats. Photos can be seen below.

FAQ about ANA "BUSINESS STAGGERED"
1. What planes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777-300ER(77W) and 787-900 (789), as well as one type of the B787-8(169 seats variation).
ANA website links on business staggered class is here (77W), (789) and B787-8(169 seats variation).

2. What is the best seat for a solo passenger?
Any of the window seats, odd number rows on the left (1A,3A,5A..), even number rows on the right (2K,4K,6K...)

3. What is the best seat for a couple?
No consensus.

4. I see 1A blocked on the 789 or 787. Is it occupied?
It will be released to all at online check-in (t-24) if not occupied.

5. What routes have the BUSINESS STAGGERED suites?
ALL 777W routes =NRT-JFK,LAX,SFO,ORD,IAD,IAH, & HND-JFK,LAX,ORD,CDG,FRA,LHR
ALL 789 routes (215 seats variation) = HND-SYD,SIN,BKK,HAN,SJC,SEA,YVR,CDG,MUC,DUS,
B787-8(169 seats variation). = NRT-MEX,BRU,DEL,BOM

6. What's up with all this chatter about hot cabins?
The cabin temperature seems to be maintained very warm relative to most westerners' preferences, but it seems to be the preferred temperature for Japanese passengers.
You will survive.

PHOTOS

Post 461 - Seat 3A on the B789 - August 2018 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30072531-post461.html

5 photos below from Boeing 777-300ER (77W)
From 2 flights on the same trip - May 2017 - posted by 24left

Print Wikipost

Business Staggered (77W/788/789/781) seating thread [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
In my view, C and H seats are basically the same as D and G seats. E and F seats are not as good as they have that "looking over the shoulder" issue I mention above.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Hi All - Are there any issues with 6K on the 789 I should be aware of (missing window, etc.)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Budoka
Anyway is there any strong consensus on whether C and H seats are preferable to D, E, F?
Originally Posted by joejones
In my view, C and H seats are basically the same as D and G seats. E and F seats are not as good as they have that "looking over the shoulder" issue I mention above.
From the C/H seats you pretty much can't see out of the window unless you get out of the seat so as joejones said it's essentially the same as a D/G seat.

However I'd rate the E/F seats higher than D/G (and C/H) just because they're not directly exposed to the aisle and thus more private especially if you're a solo traveller — was in 11H (IIRC) on the HND-LAX redeye and could feel it whenever the FAs walked past me (but to be fair I'm a pretty light sleeper). Also in those seats the FAs have to reach over you to access the side table (which is a tiny point as well, but still).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Hi All - Are there any issues with 6K on the 789 I should be aware of (missing window, etc.)?

Thanks!
Quick update: I changed my seat to 5A. Same question as above (any issues I should be aware of?).
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Quick update: I changed my seat to 5A. Same question as above (any issues I should be aware of?).
Your seat will be an aisle seat with the table against the window - makes it very hard to see outside.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Your seat will be an aisle seat with the table against the window - makes it very hard to see outside.
5A on the 789? But this seatmap suggests it's a "true" window seat.

Am I missing something?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
From the C/H seats you pretty much can't see out of the window unless you get out of the seat so as joejones said it's essentially the same as a D/G seat.

However I'd rate the E/F seats higher than D/G (and C/H) just because they're not directly exposed to the aisle and thus more private especially if you're a solo traveller — was in 11H (IIRC) on the HND-LAX redeye and could feel it whenever the FAs walked past me (but to be fair I'm a pretty light sleeper). Also in those seats the FAs have to reach over you to access the side table (which is a tiny point as well, but still).
Hmmm. That is a very good point about the CA's having to reach across you to access the table. I think that might bother me. I am still trying to understand exactly the "looking over the shoulder" comment. Wouldn't all of the seats look over the shoulder of the seat in front of you through the partition? Or am I missing something?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
5A on the 789? But this seatmap suggests it's a "true" window seat.

Am I missing something?
Whoops, you're right - left side A seats are even numbered for window side, and odd numbered for window side on the right side
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Whoops, you're right - left side A seats are even numbered for window side, and odd numbered for window side on the right side
^
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I am still trying to understand exactly the "looking over the shoulder" comment. Wouldn't all of the seats look over the shoulder of the seat in front of you through the partition?
After some further digging, I think this may only be an issue on the 77W. You can see the D/E gap I am talking about in this photo:

Last time I flew in a D seat on the 77W I was treated to all the movies and laptop Excel spreadsheets being viewed by the guy in the E seat in front of me. Totally kills the privacy aspect. That said, I realized from googling that the 787 seats are different and do not feature such a gap, so I would be more willing to take these "middle seats"...

Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by joejones
After some further digging, I think this may only be an issue on the 77W. You can see the D/E gap I am talking about in this photo:

Last time I flew in a D seat on the 77W I was treated to all the movies and laptop Excel spreadsheets being viewed by the guy in the E seat in front of me. Totally kills the privacy aspect. That said, I realized from googling that the 787 seats are different and do not feature such a gap, so I would be more willing to take these "middle seats"...

Thank you so much. You went above and beyond but now I understand exactly what you mean! I will keep the C seat as I think I would be less bothered by the CA's reaching over me than I would be by the gap in th e middle seats.

This forum really is stellar. Thank you everyone.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you so much. You went above and beyond but now I understand exactly what you mean! I will keep the C seat as I think I would be less bothered by the CA's reaching over me than I would be by the gap in th e middle seats.

This forum really is stellar. Thank you everyone.
The CAs will not be reaching over you to serve the A seat. That would be a pretty impractical way of reaching the window seat. I think that is mainly a "joy" you get on BA J.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The CAs will not be reaching over you to serve the A seat. That would be a pretty impractical way of reaching the window seat. I think that is mainly a "joy" you get on BA J.
Unfortunately, the A seats are all blocked/occupied so am in a C. But I am checking daily to see if one opens up.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:59 pm

Unfortunately, the A seats are all blocked/occupied so am in a C. But I am checking daily to see if one opens up.
Persistence does pay off. Been checking daily and 5A just opened up so I snagged it without even blinking. LOL Thanks, all.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:07 am

Persistence does pay off. Been checking daily and 5A just opened up so I snagged it without even blinking. LOL Thanks, all.
Heard that seat was primo, so I snagged it on both legs of a USA to Tokyo round trip for next March (booked through Virgin America Flying Club). Also booked the seat directly behind it (6C for both legs). Both wife and I will get a turn in 5A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.