Wiki Posts
Search

All Nippon Airways NH1006 Bad Experience

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

All Nippon Airways NH1006 Bad Experience

Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anyone has experienced this kind of thing like I did on an All Nippon Airways flight.

About two/three hours into the flight, the aircraft, a 777-200ER, began to get very warm inside and very uncomfortable.
My father and a fellow passenger went to talk to the flight attendants along with another passenger to complain, but they refused to lower the temperatures due to the "majority" of passengers being Japanese and that they prefer warmer temperatures. Next thing I know, my ears are ringing, my vision goes white, I'm sweating all over, my mother touches my forehead and I'm cold!

She tried to have me get up.. then I pass out. Next thing I know I'm laying across three rows of seats and I find out there's about four or five other people laying around the plane on the floor because of a similar issue. This was a horrifying incident that I've never experienced before on any flight. This was a very unfortunate incident that could have been resolved very easily. One can easily bundle up if the temperature aboard a plane is cool; however, if the temperature is very warm, what am I supposed to do? Cold water wasn't enough. Their displays showed it was 83 degrees inside the plane. I have never experienced something like this and I've been to Japan over 20 times.

Before flying with ANA, I was hoping to enjoy the excellent customer service and care that they pride themselves for; however, after this incident, I am wondering if I should every fly with ANA again. I hope to visit Japan again next year and many years to come, but it might have to be with someone else.

Has anyone experienced something similar? It seems pretty ridiculous that plane doesn't have air nozzles as well. This was apparent also on my flight going to Narita from SFO (777-300ER).

Thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
83F is warm , but it is not exactly the same as a tropical heatwave. I'd see a doctor if I were you. It is not normal to pass out at a temperature like that.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, ANA, BA
Never heard of this before on any airplane, except once when I was stuck on the tarmac with the engines not running to save fuel (No running engines = no AC) and the APU wasn't operating.

But yeah... See a doctor, that's not normal. Perhaps you have an acute case of claustrophobia as well??
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:30 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I haven't taken an ana flight for a long time but I can confirm that another japanese airline *cough* JAL *cough* does exactly the same thing on several of it's flights.
They set their cabin temperature at 28C "because Japanese are sensitive to cold"
Funny but I thought that 28C was on the hot side of things, considering that the Japanese government asked people to conserve power and set their air conditioning to 28C or higher during the summer months (which implies making a sacrifice of being less comfortable)

Last edited by KIXman; Dec 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
AA also does this sometimes on JFK NRT flights. I have seen the temperature at 86 degrees before.
(And felt it too!)
4 beers and I still felt thirsty.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:49 pm

If you want hot..try riding a Japanese train (Limited Expess type)in winter. You would swear someone had lit an old fashioned wood or coal stove right beside you. Little rough on the system when you stand on the platform in winter all bundled up and then step into what ends up feeling like a dry sauna.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mapleg
If you want hot..try riding a Japanese train (Limited Expess type)in winter. You would swear someone had lit an old fashioned wood or coal stove right beside you. Little rough on the system when you stand on the platform in winter all bundled up and then step into what ends up feeling like a dry sauna.
How do Japanese people adapt to this?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: NH-SFC, SQ, UA, JL- JGC/Sapphire, AA, DL, IHG-Gold, SPG-Gold, Marriott-gold
It is something strange that the cabin temp was such high.... but probable.
Compared with south east asian airlines like TG (Thai Airways Intl) and SQ (Singapore airllines), aircon at NH is very much milder - while TG/SQ offer ridiculously strong aircon.
I sometimes need a few blankets even though I already wear jakcket, sweater + muffler.

As NH cabin attendants mentioned, Jp people dont have enough aircon fastness.
Next time you board NH, wear as little as possible... tunktop/shorts + sandle... ?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
I did an ORD-NRT roundtrip on NH last month and found it unusually warm. However, it was not so uncomfortable as to result in passing out.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
This is a common complaint on NH, but having personally flown in Y, C and F cabins TPAC, intra Asia, domestic, etc several times, I've never found the environment to be too warm. And I'm usually pretty sensitive to that as well, keeping the AC cranking around the clock at home and in the office.

Passing out is a major problem. I'd contact the airline directly if there were literal medical / safety issues as a result of anything on the flight.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
They just grow up that way. Sometimes Japan feels like it's in the tropics.

I always have trouble in Japan in summer. I was there this past July and I went through about three changes of clothes per day. It's HOT. And humid. I'm from New York and we do not have comparable weather in the summer, even as hot as it gets here.

Sometimes their lack of air conditioning use annoys me as well, because they have it and often don't use it. I know this past summer they were conserving energy, but it's not just this year that it's been like that. It's always like that. They really are just used to it being hot in summer and cold in winter. Also, the traditional methods they use of heating houses in the winter are not that effective so some people see it as a relief when it starts to get hot out (which means it's not so cold at night anymore, which it can still be in spring or fall).

They even have special cars on the trains that use less air conditioning than normal. Some people prefer that. Few people seem to actually avoid these cars, that I've noticed.

Both ANA and JAL keep their planes warm, but I can't imagine passing out at 83F. You'd never make it through your first hour off the plane in Japan during summer if you can't deal with 83.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:49 am

That's just the way it is.

You could ask a similar question about how people put up with cold in a cold weather climate..for example, how could my kids wait for a school bus at minus 40C...but they did (think Northern Alberta). Hot and cold is more related to what you are used to and acclimatized to than anything else.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA/CO Silver
Japan does seems to use heat much more in winter than air conditioning in summer.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
I've noted this on a number of different Asian airlines. I find it absolutely miserable, it really bothers me allot. More so on a plane than it would anywhere else. Especially crammed in Y because it dramatically amplifies any claustrophobic feelings you may have.

A cold cabin makes you want to cuddle up under your blanket. It makes the lack of space seem "cozy". A hot cabin plus cramped Y seating is just plain miserable. Almost unbearable at times.

I imagine the OP suffered a panic attack and lost consciousness due to hyperventilating. I sympathize.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: NH Plat
I guess they are just used to it. Trains and shops seem to be heated even hotter the further north you go, making the temperature difference even greater; despite this, Japanese don't tend to even take off their outer layers when boarding trains or entering shops and remain dressed for the cold outside temperatures. I don't know how they don't just melt.

I too find ANA's 'planes incredibly hot and generally change into short-sleeves and shorts on board; even then I wake up with a sweaty blanket - it's truly lovely. If you're travelling in Y and the heat bothers you - try to get the exit row seats near the doors, as it is a bit colder there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.