Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Booked on United codeshare ANA, can't pick seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
For customers flying on a United Airlines codeshare flight operated by ANA

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local.../notice170504/

Print Wikipost

Booked on United codeshare ANA, can't pick seats

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 2:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by br2k
Speaking of seats - is there a way to see actual seat map (available seats) for a specific ANA flight without making a reservation?
Yes, just pick a flight on the NH website and click the Seat Map link.
Old May 23, 2014, 10:42 am

Thanks, I tried that. It looks like on any flight I try, even 6 months away - emergency exit seats are blocked off from selection (even when otherwise no seats are selected). Is there a special policy on access to these seats?
Old May 23, 2014, 6:38 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Yes, you'll generally need to call (since they have to confirm you're able to assist in the event of an emergency).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I have a codeshare booked on UA from SIN->NRT via ANA flight 802. Tried to pull up my reservation on ANAs site with the confirmation number but the reservation is not showing. Called ANA to see if I can book a seat and they said one was already assigned to me. Is this something I can trust or should I try to call UA to confirm a seat?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
I have a codeshare booked on UA from SIN->NRT via ANA flight 802. Tried to pull up my reservation on ANAs site with the confirmation number but the reservation is not showing. Called ANA to see if I can book a seat and they said one was already assigned to me. Is this something I can trust or should I try to call UA to confirm a seat?
This is a known problem due to the apparently Mickey Mouse setup between US and NH. I've run into this a couple times. The problem appears to occur when the NH flight is coded as a UA flight number. Doesn't matter if it is 016 (UA) or 205 (NH) stock

You won't be able to pull up the reservation on ANA's website using the NH record locator (not a middle name issue - I have none). If you call them, NH agents will initially say they can't touch it - only UA can. However if you call UA in the USA, they are clueless.

I have been successful in fixing this by calling NH and asking them, in turn, to call United to assign the seats. The UA agent "sends a message" to NH and the seat is thereby assigned. Oh, and in cases when I have done this I have called ANA in Japan (who call UA Japan) but that's just because I do these types of things off hours when the ANA office in CA is already closed. I don't know for sure if it is only the UA agents in Japan who know how to do this.

Frustrating, I know, but at least I have a workaround that's worked for me.

Last edited by tide; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by tide
This is a known problem due to the apparently Mickey Mouse setup between US and NH. I've run into this a couple times. The problem appears to occur when the NH flight is coded as a UA flight number. Doesn't matter if it is 016 (UA) or 205 (NH) stock

You won't be able to pull up the reservation on ANA's website using the NH record locator (not a middle name issue - I have none). If you call them, NH agents will initially say they can't touch it - only UA can. However if you call UA in the USA, they are clueless.

I have been successful in fixing this by calling NH and asking them, in turn, to call United to assign the seats. The UA agent "sends a message" to NH and the seat is thereby assigned. Oh, and in cases when I have done this I have called ANA in Japan (who call UA Japan) but that's just because I do these types of things off hours when the ANA office in CA is already closed. I don't know for sure if it is only the UA agents in Japan who know how to do this.

Thanks for the reply. I contacted ANA in the States and they told me they already had a seat assigned for me. I am concerned because I dont want to end up with a middle seat in E- if my *G upgrade doesnt process. They told me they have me set in an aisle seat but I dont trust this. I guess I will call UA this evening and see if I can get something figured out. Again, appreciate the insight.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rampguy
I booked a trip to Tokyo on vayama.com because for some reason it was about $800 cheaper. I am going from SFO->NRT, booked via United, but it's actually on ANA. If I go to United I can't select seats because it's on ANA, but if I go to ANA I can't select seats because I don't have an ANA confirmation number!

Any ideas?

Alex
This is one of several problems I've had with ANA since UA dropped BKK. I called them from BKK and finally got seats, but it took about a week.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Thanks for the reply. I contacted ANA in the States and they told me they already had a seat assigned for me. I am concerned because I dont want to end up with a middle seat in E- if my *G upgrade doesnt process. They told me they have me set in an aisle seat but I dont trust this. I guess I will call UA this evening and see if I can get something figured out. Again, appreciate the insight.
Yes you can trust it, perhaps why not try to log back into your UA account to see what seat is assign to you first in your NH flight ? Then if you don't like what is assign to you, call back UA to change it.

The seat usually automatically assigned once the ticket is purchased. However, if you purchased your ticket from 3rd party sites other than united.com, it may take longer for your seat assignment to show up.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 18, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by tide

I have answered a similar post in the UA forum a while ago.

UA agent is not clueless, it really depends on who you talked with. However most sCO agents are clueless in this matter, as in the past before the merger, sCO didn't codeshare that many flights with NH. From my experience, if you purchased a flight on sCO that has NH legs in it, e.g. sCO IAH/EWR-NRT connect to NH NRT-HKG, the NH leg NRT-HKG will show as real NH flight number 911, instead of CO xxxx. sUA however had codeshared NH 911/912 for years since sUA terminated the NRT-HKG service. (If you are a long time sUA flyer, you should remember the 744 then 777 service)

So after that when UA started codeshare on that NH flight, I had noticed the seat assigned is always in the back of Y and I wonder why. Once upon a time, a sUA agent finally answered my question. As she explained, when there is codeshare, like UA (or any airlines) purchased only certain rows on the NH flight for people that bought the ticket as codeshare, and it is usually in the back of Y. (I forgot exactly how many rows and from what to what, it was like 5 or 6 rows from row 32 to row 37 something like that on the 763) Therefore, even when you call UA to assign your seat, UA agent can only change your assignment within those rows, nothing further to the front of Y. However, when you obtain the NH PNR code from UA, once online checkin available with NH, then you can log in to the NH website, you will be free to change any seats that you want other than those codeshare rows, that include bulkhead and exit rows.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jul 18, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Yes you can trust it, perhaps why not try to log back into your UA account to see what seat is assign to you first in your NH flight ? Then if you don't like what is assign to you, call back UA to change it.

The seat usually automatically assigned once the ticket is purchased. However, if you purchased your ticket from 3rd party sites other than united.com, it may take longer for your seat assignment to show up.
@:-)This makes so much sense and am embarrassed to admit I had never though of this. I assumed that because I couldn't see the seat map on my UA.com reservation that my selected seats below wouldn't have the ANA codeshare. I was wrong.

Thanks much! :-:
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
messed up UA-ANA relationship

I am so fed up of this code share mess. I am sitting in the club at SFO and can I find seats on the ANA website? I have in the past thanks to this thread but today nothing works for my onward NRT-BKK flight. I am not entirely clueless so this just makes me mad. Some places in my UA res I see ANA seats listed and other places the is a dash. They are on the boarding pass. Yes obviously I am doing something wrong. I just detest these ANA code shares. It's like those couples who sort of live together and you never know whether to invite one or both. Dysfunctional.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by UAAAPeter
I am so fed up of this code share mess. I am sitting in the club at SFO and can I find seats on the ANA website? I have in the past thanks to this thread but today nothing works for my onward NRT-BKK flight. I am not entirely clueless so this just makes me mad. Some places in my UA res I see ANA seats listed and other places the is a dash. They are on the boarding pass. Yes obviously I am doing something wrong. I just detest these ANA code shares. It's like those couples who sort of live together and you never know whether to invite one or both. Dysfunctional.
You can easily use the ANA website up to 72 hours before your flight. After that, you need to talk directly to an ANA agent.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Pick seats with CA-codeshare (999 ticket)

I have a CA ticket PVG-NGO-PVG with the return on NH.

I usually avoid codeshares, but this fare was the most convenient.

Anyways I called CA and got a confirmation number, but it doesn't work on the NH website, so I'm wondering if I call them will they be able to assign me or let me pick a seat? Or will a call be pointless?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just redeemed UA miles for an award trip NRT-ORD-DCA next spring, with NRT-ORD on NH Metal. I can't select seats on the UA site for the NH leg. With all the variants I've read on the issue in this thread, I'm not 100% sure what I can do.

Can I just call UA, get my NH confirmation number, then call NH and pick my seats? Or is this going to trigger some sort of run-around phone game that is very much a YMMV depending on the agent?

(As a point of comparison, I'm also redeeming oneworld miles going the other direction for this trip, and calling AA to get my JL confirmation number, then picking seats on jal.co.jp was a piece of cake.)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by aoumd
I just redeemed UA miles for an award trip NRT-ORD-DCA next spring, with NRT-ORD on NH Metal. I can't select seats on the UA site for the NH leg. With all the variants I've read on the issue in this thread, I'm not 100% sure what I can do.

Can I just call UA, get my NH confirmation number, then call NH and pick my seats? Or is this going to trigger some sort of run-around phone game that is very much a YMMV depending on the agent?

(As a point of comparison, I'm also redeeming oneworld miles going the other direction for this trip, and calling AA to get my JL confirmation number, then picking seats on jal.co.jp was a piece of cake.)
Yes, simply get the NH PNR from UA or the UA mobile app and call NH. Problem solved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.