Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT-JFK New product.. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: Continental Plat (RIP); United 1K MM; Starwood Plat; Hilton Diamond
ANA new biz seats... meh

I flew ANA's new biz product in November from NRT to JFK. As a side note, I was originally booked to fly from NRT to JFK via FRA on Lufthansa, but due to severe storms in Europe there were major delays. And I was not a happy camper, especially since I would've experienced Lufthansa's new A380! Oh well, back to the review.

ANA's seating concept involves a staggered layout, which in my opinion is a complete waste of space. I was sitting in 5H, the first seat on the right-hand side of the plane, and I got a nice view of the first-class cabin with the elegant sliding doors for each suite.

Each seating unit in biz is really bulky. For example, the seats that line the sides of the aircraft actually block several windows because the table pieces are placed there, thereby reducing a lot of natural light that comes into the aircraft. There is a dual cut out space in front of you--to store things on the lower level and the upper part connects with the seat in the fully reclined position when you turn it flat into a bed. This is where it really gets bad. You have to be very careful getting into and out of that lie-flat space, as I've banged my shins on the top part of the metal cutout several times, and you all know how painful shin bruises are! It almost feels like you're sleeping in a coffin--it's very tight--and I'm a slim guy! I think overall the seating arrangement was poorly arranged in business class.

The food menu was okay. As nak pointed out above, the food concept was disappointing. The menu was confusing and they allowed you to mix and match items from the Western set, Japanese set and the special "Kun's" menu. The touch-screen, on-demand menu was not working as well.

So for all the hype, I was definitely disappointed. I love ANA and will continue to fly them any chance I get, but they missed the mark on their latest upgrade.
Old May 13, 2011, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I couldn't disagree more. Haven't flown SQ (relatively) new C, but I can't think of a better C product in the sky. Flew new LX C, nice product but nowhere near as private as NH, with IFE/food that was a notch below.

The "waste of space" as you call it allows for every pax to have aisle access, which is pretty nice. And the "bulkiness" of the seats allows for max privacy - a F-like experience in C. And without the claustrophobia some have for herringbone seats.

I'm pretty broad too - didn't have any issues in those seats.

If you were going to be in LH C on the A380, you know your C experience would have been 5x worse, right?
Old May 15, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: NWA, AA, UAL, Starwood, Marriott
I'll be flying ANA C SFO-NRT June 21 and NRT-LAX July 22. Any news yet if these could have the new C product yet? Looking forward to your reports on the new C as not many have given reports yet. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2011, 6:48 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by goodjls
I'll be flying ANA C SFO-NRT June 21 and NRT-LAX July 22. Any news yet if these could have the new C product yet? Looking forward to your reports on the new C as not many have given reports yet. Thanks.
Please search before posting: Any news on plane updates?

These two routes do not have new seats. No date has been announced for when they will get new seats.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:30 pm

Programs: NWA, AA, UAL, Starwood, Marriott
Thanks for the link, that was the info I needed. Sorry to hear they are so slow upgrading the new product. thanks again!
Old May 16, 2011, 11:17 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by goodjls
Thanks for the link, that was the info I needed. Sorry to hear they are so slow upgrading the new product. thanks again!
We're all waiting with bated breath, believe me
Old May 27, 2011, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by cooltraveler
I was sitting in 5H, the first seat on the right-hand side of the plane, and I got a nice view of the first-class cabin with the elegant sliding doors for each suite.
FYI, none of the NH F suites have sliding doors (unlike e.g. EK, SQ, TK). However there is still plenty of privacy.
Old May 27, 2011, 5:04 pm

I'm trying to find any NH F award availability in April 2012 and nothing is available (cross Pacific) - any ideas when it might be opened? Would love to experience the new F on NRT-JFK...
Old May 27, 2011, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
NH has suspended the touch screen food ordering temporarily due to irregularity in operation (whatever that means)

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/svc/en/new_brand_2010/info_02/

I hope the reason wasn't "food ordering" and "irregularity"
Old May 28, 2011, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by slaman
I'm trying to find any NH F award availability in April 2012 and nothing is available (cross Pacific) - any ideas when it might be opened? Would love to experience the new F on NRT-JFK...
All my success with F redemption on NH has been 1-2 weeks out. Note, however at this time there is a ton of availability in business in April on NH1 e.g. (IAD).
Old May 28, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by BowTieGuy
All my success with F redemption on NH has been 1-2 weeks out. Note, however at this time there is a ton of availability in business in April on NH1 e.g. (IAD).
I did notice that... I wonder if I should take ICN-LAX in OZ F, then Y from LAX to YYZ... or just book NH J through to IAD, and cross my fingers to see if F opens up.
Old May 30, 2011, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by slaman
I did notice that... I wonder if I should take ICN-LAX in OZ F, then Y from LAX to YYZ... or just book NH J through to IAD, and cross my fingers to see if F opens up.
Would you like me to make the decision for you, or would you prefer I held your hand when you check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.