Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying ANA in F: Dulles-Narita-Guangzhou

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Flying ANA in F: Dulles-Narita-Guangzhou

I'm flying in March to Guangzhou on ANA, from Dulles to Narita and onto Guangzhou, using frequent flyer points. On the outbound, I'm traveling in first class, but on the connection, only coach is available. When I land at Narita, am I entitled to visit either the Arrivals or First Class lounges?

I am able to get business class flight on a nonstop between Tokyo Haneda and Hong Kong, but I figure it's probably easier to just sit in coach. Any thoughts?

Also any opinions on which airline (United vs. ANA) offers the better first class product. ANA's B-773-ER vs. United's B-744.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP
You don't want to be switching airport from NRT to HND just to get J. Stay in Y for NRT-CAN.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by iker
Also any opinions on which airline (United vs. ANA) offers the better first class product. ANA's B-773-ER vs. United's B-744.
There is no comparison. NH F is one the very best. UA F is one of the worst.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
There is no comparison. NH F is one the very best. UA F is one of the worst.

^ I sat in the mini-cabin New Style ANA Business Class row directly behind the FC cabin for the IAD-NRT flight (777-300). Let's just say I was quite envious (and ANA's business class is very good!).

And yes, as a FC passenger you will have access to any of the First Class or Business Class Star Alliance lounges in NRT (both those operated by ANA and also the UA RCC). And for what it is worth, at IAD ANA uses the Air France departure lounge (the AF flights are much later in the day) which has both Business and First Class sides.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
I'm flying in March to Guangzhou on ANA, from Dulles to Narita and onto Guangzhou, using frequent flyer points. On the outbound, I'm traveling in first class, but on the connection, only coach is available. When I land at Narita, am I entitled to visit either the Arrivals or First Class lounges?

I am able to get business class flight on a nonstop between Tokyo Haneda and Hong Kong, but I figure it's probably easier to just sit in coach. Any thoughts?

NH 1 (IAD-NRT) does not have F. I guess you will be going through ORD, LAX or SFO.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:30 pm

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG

When are you flying ? IAD-NRT is a 2 class (C and Y) flight without F.....
I am not sure you are allowed F lounge in NRT if your onward flight is in Y class. Access to F lounge requires a diamond membership or a F BP
Old Jan 28, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by geo1005

And yes, as a FC passenger you will have access to any of the First Class or Business Class Star Alliance lounges in NRT (both those operated by ANA and also the UA RCC).

Incorrect, technically (base on star alliance rules) you have to depart in *A F in order to use F lounge. OP doesn't state if he is *G or not, if not, OP can't even use *C lounge as OP depart NRT in Y.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Incorrect, technically (base on star alliance rules) you have to depart in *A F in order to use F lounge. OP doesn't state if he is *G or not, if not, OP can't even use *C lounge as OP depart NRT in Y.
That is honestly kind of ridiculous.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying MD
NH 1 (IAD-NRT) does not have F. I guess you will be going through ORD, LAX or SFO.

Originally Posted by JackR
When are you flying ? IAD-NRT is a 2 class (C and Y) flight without F.....
I am not sure you are allowed F lounge in NRT if your onward flight is in Y class. Access to F lounge requires a diamond membership or a F BP

They are operating F between March 1st and March 26 or 27th I forget.

You can check on the NH website
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm traveling on March 10, and according to NH's website, there are three classes. I called ANA and they gave me seat 2A.

Does ANA typically fly the B-773ER in a 2-class configuration on the Dulles-Narita route?

Don't have *G this year.

Does this mean that when I arrive in Tokyo I can or can't get into a lounge.

Per ANA website: "Eligible guests: ANA
<For International Arrival> First Class customers arriving on ANA operated international flights(excluding code-share flights operated by partner airlines) and one accompanying guest per customer on the day of arrival only.

Have gotten two different opinions. Any definitive response?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
I have been granted admission to the ANA F lounge (by gate 41 or so) when presenting my F boarding stub.....although there is normally some confusion as I usually continue on to pek which is two class. I simply state that F is not available on the route and they admit me.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fumitani
They are operating F between March 1st and March 26 or 27th I forget.

You can check on the NH website
I'm envious!
I'm booked in May and there is no F in May from IAD to NRT.
Maybe something will change. Anyone know the reason behind F in March?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
You don't want to be switching airport from NRT to HND just to get J. Stay in Y for NRT-CAN.
I see you're still a student

All things equal I would never Fly Y if C worked for me and was available. If you consider the airport change were talking about with it ranks right up there as most convenient in the world. Of course everyone's transit would be different.

You are eligible for arrivals lounge access which land side. I think that is what you were quoting from the website. You are not eligible for air side lounge as your outbound flight governs. This does not mean you shouldn't try if you fly Y.

-Scho
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

is the arrivals lounge (landside lounge) just as nice, nicer or not as nice as the departure lounge (airside lounge)? i presume that after i leave the arrivals lounge, i'll have to go through security again?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
is the arrivals lounge (landside lounge) just as nice, nicer or not as nice as the departure lounge (airside lounge)? i presume that after i leave the arrivals lounge, i'll have to go through security again?
If you are transferring in NRT you stay airside, no one would go out just to use the arrivals lounge not unless your destination in NRT, as you have to go thru immigration, that can easily take 30+ min to be able to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.