Flight cancelled: what now?

Old May 24, 20, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Flight cancelled: what now?

My return flight at the end of June is cancelled. What should I do now? Alitalia has not contacted me, I only saw it because I logged in to checkmytrip (the Alitalia website never works).
Old May 24, 20, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
You should probably contact the agent that sold you the ticket, and work with them to see what can be done for your return journey.
kthomas likes this.
Old May 24, 20, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Unless the OP booked this through a real, human being travel agent (a rarity these days), I wouldn't expect anything helpful from an agency. My first priority would be to see if Alitalia has any other flights that would be good enough. If so, call in and try to get rebooked on one of those. If Alitalia has nothing that works, find something that does and book it yourself.

If the OP ends up booking with another carrier, a refund is due. Expect Alitalia to make that difficult. I suggest sending an email to customer service saying you want a refund, not a voucher (put in all the data on flight, record locator, screen shot of cancellation). Wait seven days. Nothing will happen. Then dispute the charge with your credit card company.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 11, 20, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

ok, so I called the callcentre. My flight has been changed to a week later. Curious how the flight will be.
Old Jun 26, 20, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

So I went to Checkmytrip and saw my flights GIG-FCO-BRU cancelled. On the Alitalia website, the FCO-BRU leg still was active. I just called Alitalia and they said that they only will restart in September. So my only options were to get a rebooking from September on or a refund/voucher. For a rebooking on another airline I will have to contact the travel agency that booked the flights. I am a bit baffled. I understand that things are bad but I did not get any notification from Alitalia. Had I not checked checkmytrip (on the Alitalia website I always have trouble logging in), I would not have known.
Old Jun 29, 20, 3:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
It is very bad show by AZ (unfortunately most other airlines are behaving the same way, no reroutes and sometimes no notice). Get a refund and rebook on something that is actually flying (QR?)
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 29, 20, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
For a rebooking on another airline I will have to contact the travel agency that booked the flights. I am a bit baffled. I understand that things are bad but I did not get any notification from Alitalia. Had I not checked checkmytrip (on the Alitalia website I always have trouble logging in), I would not have known.
It is not Alitalia's responsibility to inform you; you used the services of an agent and put them in between you and the airline; it is your chosen agent's responsibility to deal with the ticket and to inform you of changes and cancellations.
Xandrios likes this.
Old Jul 10, 20, 12:08 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
It is not Alitalia's responsibility to inform you; you used the services of an agent and put them in between you and the airline; it is your chosen agent's responsibility to deal with the ticket and to inform you of changes and cancellations.
He or she is booked on Allitalia, it darn well is Alitalia's responsibility to inform all PAX of cancellations in a timely manner, regardess and irregardless of where the booking came from. If somehow AZ didn't get a phone or email, of course, this does not apply.

Last edited by kthomas; Jul 10, 20 at 12:15 pm
Old Jul 10, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Thinksamuel View Post
My return flight at the end of June is cancelled. What should I do now? Alitalia has not contacted me, I only saw it because I logged in to checkmytrip (the Alitalia website never works).
Welcome to the club (Narita and Haneda routes cancelled today).

Rebook as you can, follow the advice above in general; rebook if possible but AZ's phone lines are quite a mess; if you can't rebook on them somehow, follow the "refund not a voucher" and chargeback path if possible. If you used an agent such as AmEx travel, they may help, else most OTAs probably won't. If you have damages due to now having to take a one-way, oy. I doubt you're going to squeeze those out of Alitalia, unless you enjoy court filings and a few years of wrangling.

Good luck.
Old Jul 11, 20, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
He or she is booked on Allitalia, it darn well is Alitalia's responsibility to inform all PAX of cancellations in a timely manner, regardess and irregardless of where the booking came from. If somehow AZ didn't get a phone or email, of course, this does not apply.
You are 100%, absolutely, definitely and utterly wrong in this. It is Alitalia's responsibility to inform the TA, not the ticket holder. The contract is, in the case that a travel agency was used, between the passenger and the agency!
Old Jul 11, 20, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Worrying about who ought to have done what is a folly at this point.

OP knows there is a problem and needs to undertake to have it remedied. If OP used a TA and it is prior to the date of travel, call the TA. On the date of travel, back to AZ. Depending on whether the TA is a real live TA or an opaque third-party sometimes referred to as an OTA, OP may or may not have some luck. Within the OTA orbit, some are good at this and others not.
Old Yesterday, 9:32 am

Given that OP's cancelled flight was supposed to be at the end of the previous month and that he hasn't reposted for about two weeks, my guess is that he managed to get to his original destination... Everything we post here if at all, will be only helpful for other passengers whose flights were cancelled.
Old Today, 2:40 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Actually there's a HUGE problem with Alitalia in this moment.
They are cancelling -even with less than 14 days prior advice- and then ask you to call their Call Center to get refund or voucher.
Refunds are taking very long and there are people waiting since March.
Voucher could be useful (I have plenty from AFKL in this moment) if only you could get it and use it.
In fact it is impossible to reach the Call Center which is the only way they can issue it or let you use it. With thousands cancelled flights and only the Call Center to manage evert issue you can imagine the disaster and waiting time. Every month 1,5 mln passengers were used to fly AZ: imagine they cancelled 3 months of flights and they are continuing...you can imagine the potential nuber of claims.
And this is the most shameful part of the whole history: many companies during Covid 19 organised themselves in order to manage the refunds and vouchers automatically (starting from AF KLM but till Wizzair and even a private rail operator like Itali Treno).
Alitalia did nothing! Absolutely nothing, while keeping active reservations for flights they know they will cancel (actually this is happening: look at their promo pages for flights to Spain and Greece and then you will see that it doesnt match at all the booking system which allows you to book more flights).
This is the best way to kill the respect of all passengers, including me, Elite plus since 20 years.
There is no excuse because their attitude is criminal: the legal actions that will follow will make the last injection of public money useless becase when you loose in the market and in the courts there's nothing left.
I still hope they will solve the situation -it would be enough to have someone wth working brain in their offices and more IT solutions that everyone else has adopted.
To be honest I never believed they could reach a so low level in their history.
Till when they will find a solution I would warmly recommend to NOT book a flight with AZ because they are not able to manage any enquiry (even the basic ones) in this moment.
Or if you book, cross your fingers....because for everything you will have to call an unreachable Call Center...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: