Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Parents on TLV-FCO-JNB and told return leg is cancelled

Parents on TLV-FCO-JNB and told return leg is cancelled

Old Feb 29, 20, 2:51 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
Posts: 107
Parents on TLV-FCO-JNB and told return leg is cancelled

My parents were trying to make the most of the Business Class fare that was posted over Christmas, from TLV to JNB with AZ vis FCO

The lunchtime flight TLV-FCO has been cancelled (not sure if corona-related but they say the Israelis were not letting anyone into immigration with Italian citizenship on inward flights!).

They are being accommodated on the later TLV-FCO which means that they should catch FCO-JNB tonight.

They have been told that their flight back next week, JNB-FCO has been cancelled and this is where I am seeking some advice on from the collective

- how do they go about finding out what alternative flight AZ has put them on.

- I expect that sorting this out in TLV airport is will be a waste of time?

- is there a ticketing agent at the AZ Lounge in FCO they could enquire with?

- will AZ be obliged to rebook them as close to their original inbound date and time, I assume this would be Air France or KLM?

- I assume AZ would have to rebook using the same Business class travel class?

- will AZ dig its heels and get them to wait for next AZ flight out of JNB?

- what compensation would they get if delayed by more than 4 hours?

- what are the chances of them having any redress from AZ, as opposed to other carriers.
Nagolnagol is offline  
Old Mar 1, 20, 6:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Enn Why Cee
Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Posts: 1,559
I've tried to respond to what I know, see inline

Originally Posted by Nagolnagol View Post
My parents were trying to make the most of the Business Class fare that was posted over Christmas, from TLV to JNB with AZ vis FCO

The lunchtime flight TLV-FCO has been cancelled (not sure if corona-related but they say the Israelis were not letting anyone into immigration with Italian citizenship on inward flights!).

They are being accommodated on the later TLV-FCO which means that they should catch FCO-JNB tonight.

They have been told that their flight back next week, JNB-FCO has been cancelled and this is where I am seeking some advice on from the collective

- how do they go about finding out what alternative flight AZ has put them on.
best is call center, possibly ticket desk in TLV, and AZ has been good about sending emails with the revised itinerary, if they have an email on file. Also, service desk at FCO

- I expect that sorting this out in TLV airport is will be a waste of time?
I think you are right, the station is likely outsourced and if anyone can do ticketing, they probably have plenty of a headache with the rebooking of denied entry folks

- is there a ticketing agent at the AZ Lounge in FCO they could enquire with?
the lounge (e11 or so) does not (IIRC) but the service desk is a 2-min walk away and you'd pass it en route to the lounge

- will AZ be obliged to rebook them as close to their original inbound date and time, I assume this would be Air France or KLM?
They should, but I could also see them offering a refund and leaving you to your own devices...

- I assume AZ would have to rebook using the same Business class travel class?
in theory, yes

- will AZ dig its heels and get them to wait for next AZ flight out of JNB?
they shouldn't but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. I am not sure how intelrine accounting works but I am pretty sure they'd have to pay AF/KL some good chunk of cash for rebooking onto them - def more than the EU compensation and potential refund amount (hence my comments above)

- what compensation would they get if delayed by more than 4 hours?
ec 261/2004 should apply - so about 600 euro bc the flight is long. There is also a downgrade compensation but didn't check the amount. I could see them offering an option to rebook in Y on the intended travel date on af/kl or offering a change date option to a day with an AZ flight

- what are the chances of them having any redress from AZ, as opposed to other carriers.
slim but not impossible. persistence and assertiveness pay off, especially if escalation is necessary

Last edited by goodandclassy; Mar 1, 20 at 6:58 am Reason: formatting
goodandclassy is offline  
Old Mar 1, 20, 6:55 am
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
It is very hard to discern exactly what you want. If you could break this down into the very specific of what you (they) want, it would be most helpful.

In addition, a strong suggestion that you worry about getting them back in a reasonable manner and then address compensation, refunds and the like after they are back safe. The former is time sensitive. The latter is just money and is presumably less important than they are.
goodandclassy likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:56 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,538
Call Alitalia and ask them. You're going to have to do this eventually, and the longer you delay, the fewer recovery options will be available.

Waiting to fix this at the airport, as you seem to favour, is to abandon your parents to the worst possible outcome.

Don't enquire about compensation. Focus on getting your parents rebooked. And besides, if flights are cancelled due to government restrictions, then no compensation will be payable.
goodandclassy likes this.
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 11:20 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BA Gold, Flyblue
Posts: 107
They got booked back from JNB to Brussels (where they live) as Alitalia advised Israel (where they were meant to spend 4 days) has shut their border to foreigners. Sounds odd but at least they are on the move, back home soon.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Nagolnagol is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:49 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,645
Originally Posted by Nagolnagol View Post
They got booked back from JNB to Brussels (where they live) as Alitalia advised Israel (where they were meant to spend 4 days) has shut their border to foreigners. Sounds odd but at least they are on the move, back home soon.
Not all foreigners, but a long list of nations were CVID-19 is present, implemented today.
largeeyes is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:28 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,270
Good that AZ handled this reroute well. But, for the broader importance, it is important for passengers to check the latest restrictions as well as quarantine requirements which may apply in certain situations. For some there may not be an alternative, but a choice of transit country may affect whether one is quarantined either enroute or on arrival home (or both).
Often1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: