Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Refused access to eGates at LIN with UK Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We were all made to queue at the All Passports desks to depart LIN, told Brits cannot use "eGates" due to "change of policy". She said it with a smug smile on her face as well. Probably Lega supporter.

This is odd. A rogue employee?

Plus at MXP an all manner of TCN passport holders can use eGates.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by hugolover
We were all made to queue at the All Passports desks to depart LIN, told Brits cannot use "eGates" due to "change of policy". She said it with a smug smile on her face as well. Probably Lega supporter.

This is odd. A rogue employee?

Plus at MXP an all manner of TCN passport holders can use eGates.
Rogue employee or rogue policy, I think. I was told that for regular UK citizens entering the EU/Schengen area entry and exit is to remain as was last year and continue until some time in December this year unless and until a new agreement expedites or postpones the end of the free movement allowance for UK citizen passport users.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd recommend being prepared for lots more of this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The "rogue" employee follows current events and is aware that the UK is no longer in the EU. If the sign says EU passports plus Switzerland, the employee might be following the posted rule.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Si exactamente muchachos. Britain elected to leave EU. So be it. The will of the people is served at the gates of LIN lol! And mucho mas.
RoyalSwazi, James91 and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The "rogue" employee follows current events and is aware that the UK is no longer in the EU. If the sign says EU passports plus Switzerland, the employee might be following the posted rule.
Except the transition period explicitly preserves the status quo until 1 January 2021, and it is likely (barring some higher-than-usual amount of stupidity from the UK govt) that e-gates will still be usable post-transition.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
Si exactamente muchachos. Britain elected to leave EU. So be it. The will of the people is served at the gates of LIN lol! And mucho mas.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The "rogue" employee's following of current events seems nonetheless to leave said employee, as well as a few FTers it would seem, blissfully unaware that the UK and the EU have concluded a Withdrawal Agreement which provides for the prolongation of most EU rules, including those related to the free movement of persons, until the end of 2020.
GUWonder, hugolover and xarantine like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
Leaving apart political considerations, UK voted to leave EU. There's a transition period but e-GATES are not a constitutional right or something like that. During the transition there's still freedom of movement (that's granted! not the way how is offered) but airports start to adapt themselves to the new reality. UK on its way is actually giving out passport without EU flag and soon (if not already done) in different colors. That's the transition folks!
EU is a club (bad or good depends on the point of view): UK is not anymore part of it by its own choice. Somehow this means something.
ReinaDeLaSelva likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Or, the front-line low-level employee heard from someone else who heard from their mother-in-law that the UK had left the EU and thus UK nationals could no longer use the e-Gates.

One would imagine that if indeed the Italian government had implemented a policy change that it would have informed relevant stakeholders such as air carriers. The absence of that suggests the mother-in-law.
diamantaire and hugolover like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is a Brexit thread in Omni if you want to discuss that there please...
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Squerez
Leaving apart political considerations, UK voted to leave EU. There's a transition period but e-GATES are not a constitutional right or something like that. During the transition there's still freedom of movement (that's granted! not the way how is offered) but airports start to adapt themselves to the new reality.
If it is a deliberate decision (and it is far from clear that this is the case), denying access to e-gates to UK passport holders in early February 2020 when: a) UK passport holders have exactly the same travel rights as they had last year; b) the negotiations on the future relationship have not yet even started and won't do so until March so that we have no idea of what arrangements will be agreed, if any, regarding visitors from the UK in the EU and vice-versa form 2021 onwards would not constitute preparing oneself to the new reality. It would constitute either deliberate gratuitous obstructionism (which is unlikely, I would have thought) or plain and simple incompetence by a poorly informed airport operator (which is somewhat higher on the probability scale but still substantially below the probability of a poorly informed local agent attempting to adding 2+2 and coming to a result of 17).

But I bet that there will be plenty of examples of such ignorance on both sides of the Channel in multiple contexts in the next 10 months or so.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't want to jump the gun on this. I'm surprised one of BArbs Legacy Pax hasn't reported this, cos of course its annoying.

It could be this was just one nasty enforcer, perhaps a transphobe or other bigot.

OTOH as long as things move the same way as MXP, I can't see Brits being excluded from the eGates considering a whole load of TCNs are eligible to use them.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
UK has left the EU officially. So por favor, who will enforce the agreements? The EU courts? But UK is out of EU already.

This is not an isolated event. I am laughing hard when I read this:

https://www.eturbonews.com/542925/no...passport-line/
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
UK has left the EU officially. So por favor, who will enforce the agreements? The EU courts? But UK is out of EU already.

This is not an isolated event. I am laughing hard when I read this:

https://www.eturbonews.com/542925/no...passport-line/
[Moderator edit.] For your information, yes, the CJEU still has jurisdiction during the transitional period and national courts in the UK and in the EU are still responsible for enforcing EU law in exactly the same way as before Jan 2020.

[Moderator edit]
GUWonder and Yoshi212 like this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 17, 2020 at 8:37 am Reason: To comply with FlyerTalk Rule 12. See moderator post below.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
[Moderator edit]
Transition period - everything stays as they are. The UK still pays into the EU, EU rules apply, European courts still have jurisdiction, UK and EU citizens are treated equally.

[Moderator edit]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Feb 17, 2020 at 8:38 am Reason: By poster: Incomplete. By Moderator: to comply with FT Rule 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.