Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Five (5) Hour Layover - What could I do?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Five (5) Hour Layover - What could I do?

Does 5 hours give me a chance to see anything in Rome?
Old Aug 27, 2019, 7:56 pm

Rather "risky", therefore no: from the time of landing till Rome centre count about 1.5-2 hours by train. A cab will be faster but traffic jams cannot be planned ahead. The time back to the gate will take the same, as you'll have to include security and immigration; both may take long. In other words, if everything's smooth, you'll be left with 2 hours in the city (only good for a very superficial visit of the centro storico) or with a day if you miss your connecting flight.
JHIN likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:55 am

Maybe you can head to Ostia Antica for a few hours walk in through the ruins.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:19 pm

I've been to Ostia several times (I love it!), that I did not think of it. I second Sciamano's idea, a great place. Take a cab from FCO, it should be 10 minutes to get there. An alternative idea, that I just thought of, depending on the time of the day, take a cab to Fiumicino port and have a nice fish/seafood lunch at one of the restaurants there. And then watch the boats unload the fish caught at the pier before heading back.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
There at least used to be a free bus between FCO and Trajan’s Harbor (now a hexagonal lake with several Roman ruins around it).
Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM; AFKL FBE; ITA Exec
5 hours isn't enough to get to anything but Ostia Antica, and even then. I would enjoy Casa Alitalia and relax a bit
irishguy28 and Dav77 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.