Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Current State? Safe to book for June?

Current State? Safe to book for June?

Old Nov 24, 19, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by wijibintheair View Post
I know what answer Dav77 will give - but what are the thoughts about booking for September 2020? With Lufthansa having said this week they will not invest and Atlantia pulling out does anyone have a good idea what is going to happen? Do you think it will be nationalised?
As several people suggested (including myself ) we'll be hearing about Alitalia's problems and immediate going out of business for the next 10-50 years...
wijibintheair and Dav77 like this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
As several people suggested (including myself ) we'll be hearing about Alitalia's problems and immediate going out of business for the next 10-50 years...
So I am assuming you feel it is safe to book for September then......at the price it is worth the risk I suppose.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
I know what answer Dav77 will give - but what are the thoughts about booking for September 2020? With Lufthansa having said this week they will not invest and Atlantia pulling out does anyone have a good idea what is going to happen? Do you think it will be nationalised?
Donít worry, Alitalia will be working on Sept 2020. 😊

And you are not taking the risk anymore to get served the Villa Sandi Prosecco, because they are fortunately replacing it with Ferrari Maximum.
wijibintheair likes this.
Old Nov 25, 19, 6:50 am

Berlusconi wanted to "save" them during his first term as a PM, then AF wanted to buy them, then LH, then Air one, then Benetton, then Berlusconi again, then Etihad tried, then AF/KL again, then Berlusconi (who's that?), then LH again, then Trenitalia, then whatever, then... I may not have included all attempts and the sequence may be wrong, but one gets the point!
wijibintheair and fifty_two like this.
Old Dec 12, 19, 4:51 am

Programs: QRPC
In the case where Alitalia desperately needs cash, they will just introduce a new error-fare, let many people buy it, cancel the whole deal and only pay back the money to their customers once they have recovered enough. Easy. :P

Also, I would make sure to buy Alitalia tickets only via creditcard, so that in the worst case you could still try to claim it back from them. If you can get the tickets issued by Delta instead of Alitalia itself, that could help as well obviously.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:13 am

Just wondering how Alitalia will survive the coronavirus - given the fact that currently Italy is the European "epicentre" for the virus it is hitting the Italian travel industry hard. More and more countries in Europe will soon be joining the list of high levels of infections I have no doubt, but as the "first" I think Italy will be hot hardest. Add this to an already precarious situation....... Before anyone thinks otherwise, I am not an Alitalia basher, and feel it would be very sad to lose such an iconic brand, however, without (questionably illegal) government intervention I do not know how it can survive if things get worse.
Old Feb 28, 20, 8:56 am

AZ are up the creek once again. Huge numbers of no shows. Bookings plummeted. They've asked the government for some cash to allow them to temporarily suspend thousands of employees.
Old Feb 28, 20, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
AZ are up the creek once again. Huge numbers of no shows. Bookings plummeted. They've asked the government for some cash to allow them to temporarily suspend thousands of employees.
Do you have a source? I'm not doubting you, I just want to read more about this.
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 29, 20, 2:05 am

Now emerging that the state aid is being challenged
EU regulators to investigate 400 million Italian state loan to Alitalia
https://reut.rs/2PxWjCl
Old Mar 4, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Now emerging that the state aid is being challenged
EU regulators to investigate 400 million Italian state loan to Alitalia
https://reut.rs/2PxWjCl
very good. It means it will be safer to book for next months
Old Mar 4, 20, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Originally Posted by Dav77 View Post
very good. It means it will be safer to book for next months
I don’t see how that makes things “safer”.

Besides, there is a different, and far bigger, immediate threat to Alitalia’s survival. All airlines in Europe - if not globally, at this stage - are seeing a sudden and massive drop in demand (BA is even dropping transatlantic flights.; LH is grounding up to a fifth of its fleet; Ryanair is scrapping up to a quarter of its Italian flights, etc). I imagine the drop off in passengers and bookings is even more pronounced for airlines whose routes all begin or end in Italy.

FlyBe, which has been struggling for years, finally collapsed at 4am this morning with the current challenging trading conditions proving the final straw. It is widely expected that it won’t be the only airline failure in the coming weeks.

Last edited by irishguy28; Mar 4, 20 at 10:15 pm
Old Mar 5, 20, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

FlyBe, which has been struggling for years, finally collapsed at 4am this morning with the current challenging trading conditions proving the final straw. It is widely expected that it wonít be the only airline failure in the coming weeks.
And one of the interesting takes from this was that the UK government had wanted to give Flybe a reprieve on air passenger tax as part of a rescue plan, but advised that until January 2021 they would not be able to do so, as EU law prohibits governments giving financial aid to private companies....so how can the Italian government justify a FURTHER Ä400,000,000 loan as being within the law?
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:33 am

Well, the UK no longer cares about the EU law, so they can't break it, so FlyBe goes down the drain! Italy is still a member, and they have a tradition of breaking EU laws, so they do break it following the tradition! I know that sounds completely illogical, but who cares in Italy about logic...
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:35 am

I have family who work for Alitalia (some of them going on 25 years). I come from a long line of aviation family with the older generation got their children and now grand children into Alitalia over the years. Everyone I know who work for AZ are based out of FCO and hold titles ranging from Captains, cabin crew, crew scheduling, administrative rolls and airport CSRs.

Given the current situation and the losses accumulated in the last 2 weeks alone (before the lockdown) their employees are preparing for a collapse in the coming weeks (3 weeks being the estimate especially if the lockdown continues passed Easter). Unless of course another airline or investor comes to their rescue which even their staff donít see happening given this is now a worldwide travel industry nightmare.

Not trying to spread rumours or what not - but AZís financial issues have never really been a topic of concern for any family member over the years. This is the first time Iíve seen them very worried.
Old May 7, 20, 3:46 pm

Blondie85 I imagine the family members are happier now Alitalia is being re-nationalised and the government just injected €3B into the airline.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: