FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   two word about new catering (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1941301-two-word-about-new-catering.html)

paffendorf Nov 19, 2018 6:02 am

two word about new catering

I've flown recently on AZ632 from FCO to HAV, where AZ offered the "enhanced" catering.
With my great surprise, I basically discovered that, while quality remained still good, the offer has changed. To be extremely clear, now AZ offers the traditional menu, the healthy one and possibly (but it's not detailed) a light option.
The bad thing is that once you chose which one you like, there are no alternatives for any course and moreover you cannot switch from a menu to another in your choices.
Finally it's like choosing a fixed menu.
I don't consider this a proper treatment for premium customers.
Hope AZ could reconsider at least the chance to choose a course from a menu and another from the other.
Cheers

AlicorporateUK Nov 19, 2018 6:52 am

Thanks for the report.

Whilst I have yet to try the new Magnifica catering (speaking of which, I've read somewhere that they now partner with Gambero Rosso?), I have however been tasting different meals on short haul services (mostly Heathrow and Warsaw) week in-week out and the quality seems to have improved somewhat below is what I got served the other day (decent meal, the veggies, the fish fillet and the fruit all tasted really nice even though I was not really impressed with the olive oil in sachet!).

https://i.postimg.cc/MZ30mJYn/thumbnail-IMG-5728.jpg

G

AlicorporateUK Nov 19, 2018 7:05 am

P.S.: for those who will surely be wondering what's up with the new catering, Alitalia has recently switched to Gate Gourmet as its main catering provider, the Magnifica (i.e. long haul) menus are currently being rebranded and, as I've already stated above, they seem to have started a partnership with Gambero Rosso.

G

paffendorf Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 30445036)
P.S.: for those who will surely be wondering what's up with the new catering, Alitalia has recently switched to Gate Gourmet as its main catering provider, the Magnifica (i.e. long haul) menus are currently being rebranded and, as I've already stated above, they seem to have started a partnership with Gambero Rosso.

G

Yep, I can confirm the partnership with Gambero Rosso. Quality seems to be same level, but thoughts expressed in my previous post unfortunately remain.
cheers

AlicorporateUK Nov 20, 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by paffendorf (Post 30446235)
Yep, I can confirm the partnership with Gambero Ross. Quality seems to be same level, but thoughts expressed in my previous post unfortunately remain.
cheers

I have a couple of SCL trips coming up, these should give enough 'room' for some decent feedback on the new service (even though, as usual, I am not expecting much from the ex-SCL catered flights...).

G

paffendorf Nov 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 30448136)
I have a couple of SCL trips coming up, these should give enough 'room' for some decent feedback on the new service (even though, as usual, I am not expecting much from the ex-SCL catered flights...).

G

Just to provide more informations, on AZ633 the food offer is *exactly* the same as on AZ632 in terms of main meal. About the second service, the breakfast does not include any sort of hot food (flt time is around 10 hours).
Honestly I don't know what to think, since it's so strange and the enhancement is really disappointing.
Cheers

AlicorporateUK Nov 22, 2018 1:23 am

Originally Posted by paffendorf (Post 30453886)
Just to provide more informations, on AZ633 the food offer is *exactly* the same as on AZ632 in terms of main meal. About the second service, the breakfast does not include any sort of hot food (flt time is around 10 hours).
Honestly I don't know what to think, since it's so strange and the enhancement is really disappointing.
Cheers

Not that the breakfast offer was particularly good with the previous catering but that is pretty poor show indeed. Just so that I understand, was there no choice apart from the usual bland continental breakfast? I did FCO-SCL-FCO just a couple of weeks ago and, even though I had ordered a special meal, I flicked through the menu briefly and the hot option for breakfast (i.e. omelette, sausage etc.) was still there. Definitely not an enhancement!

G

paffendorf Nov 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 30455451)
Not that the breakfast offer was particularly good with the previous catering but that is pretty poor show indeed. Just so that I understand, was there no choice apart from the usual bland continental breakfast? I did FCO-SCL-FCO just a couple of weeks ago and, even though I had ordered a special meal, I flicked through the menu briefly and the hot option for breakfast (i.e. omelette, sausage etc.) was still there. Definitely not an enhancement!

G

Maybe this enhancement is only about non-premium routes like HAV.... I hope so.

KLouis Nov 23, 2018 10:57 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 30455451)

G

As much as I loooove Italian snacks, lunches and dinners, allow me to say that original/traditional/classic (name it as you please) Italian breakfast is nothing to write home about! Why should AZ be different? We all know it's as Italian as can be. :D

AlicorporateUK Nov 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 30459211)
As much as I loooove Italian snacks, lunches and dinners, allow me to say that original/traditional/classic (name it as you please) Italian breakfast is nothing to write home about! Why should AZ be different? We all know it's as Italian as can be. :D

Agreed - and there's probably no such thing as Italian breakfast strictly speaking, apart from cappuccino of course or even perhaps my favourite caffè al vetro (cornetto is a French thing) :p I do like my fette biscottate with a bit of jam & butter when down in Italy, though ;)

G

AlicorporateUK Nov 26, 2018 3:51 am

Hot breakfast still available as per below (this was SCL):

https://i.postimg.cc/sDDM2Scn/IMG-4630.jpg

With AZ you never know, though, it could just be that they are still enrolling the new menus or that perhaps services such as SCL or EZE will get a different menu... (no idea).

G

Xandrios Dec 2, 2018 3:23 am

Has the catering for intra-european business also been switched to a new catering company? Because things seem to be *exactly* the same as before.

I had actually ordered a special meal. It was registered in the system (my outboud flight had it, though I was not able to enjoy it due to being rebooked). However the inbound flights did not.

Breakfast AMS-LIN - canned fruit and a white-bread toast.
http://upload.xandrios.net/154374552...201_072656.jpg

Although I did get something extra with this meal:
http://upload.xandrios.net/154374574...201_072903.jpg

LIN-ATH
http://upload.xandrios.net/154374577...201_105818.jpg

When I asked about the special meal the purser brought me an extra vegetarian meal, not what I ordered but it was more healthy - though frankly not great. Unseasoned and bland veggies:

http://upload.xandrios.net/154374599...201_105821.jpg

Previously I received lunch on this LIN-ATH flight but this time it was breakfast :( Looks like hey moved the departure time forward a bit. But still, arriving at 2PM, lunch would have been perfectly suitable here I think.

AlicorporateUK Dec 2, 2018 5:49 am

Blimey, that doesn’t look good at all (to put it mildly...), Xandrios. That being said, the change in terms of catering (with Gate Gourmet replacing the previous provider) indeed also applies to short/medium haul services and Linate was, funnily enough, the ‘launch airport’. Also, the fact that you weren’t served the special meal in the first instance is pretty poor show and no comment about the cutlery (dear oh dear...). I must admit I’ve been quite lucky in that respect in the last few months or so (I’ve been doing Heathrow-Rome-Heathrow on a weekly basis) — they never (touch wood) failed with the special meal and I find the seafood option (accompanied by fresh fruit) fairly decent. No conspiracy theory here but I wouldn’t be surprised if they left the standard meals as they were (or, even worse, saved a few extra pennies — see the fruit, how can they possibly get away with it God only knows...), whereas they somewhat enhanced the special meals, not even because they specifically wanted to do so (I strongly doubt it, given the current financial’s status-quo), but perhaps Gate Gourmet is a tad better than the previous provider in that respect, hence my perception.

G

Xandrios Dec 7, 2018 6:14 am

I suspect that, because my outbound flight was changed to KLM due to IRROPs, that the special meal order has been removed from the whole booking at that point - rather than just from that rerouted flight. That would explain why on both segments the special meal was not available.

Though to be honest that was not a big problem, as you know I just wanted to try the special meals for comparison to the standard ones. It would have been a problem if I actually had dietary restrictions..

This is a picture of the same LIN flight, back in May 2018. The meal looks exactly the same. Or was Gate Gourmet also being used back then?

http://upload.xandrios.net/154418810...96337920_n.jpg

AlicorporateUK Dec 7, 2018 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios (Post 30508583)
Or was Gate Gourmet also being used back then?

Definitely not.

G