Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to book Alitalia for 2019?

Old Aug 9, 18, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG

I am thinking of booking BOS-FCO round trip for the summer of 2019. We will be going on a cruise out of Rome and I like that AZ has non-stop service from Boston. I am also looking at booking their Premium Economy seats. I am planning on booking the flight through the cruise line as soon as fares open up in September. Is there any chance that AZ would stop flying next year?
Old Aug 9, 18, 4:04 pm

Try booking Alitalia though a SkyTeam partner for extra insurance!
Old Aug 9, 18, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
That's a good idea!
Old Aug 10, 18, 6:53 am

Programs: FB Plat
The Italian government is now trying to stop the Alitalia sale, turn it a National company again, and make all "responsible for Alitalia's current disaster" pay for it (haha). Plus, Alitalia seems to perform well.
All in all, it seems that Alitalia should keep flying.

Booking AZ through DL/AF/KL is still a nice safety net.
Old Aug 10, 18, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
The Italian government is now trying to stop the Alitalia sale, turn it a National company again, and make all "responsible for Alitalia's current disaster" pay for it (haha). Plus, Alitalia seems to perform well.
All in all, it seems that Alitalia should keep flying.

Booking AZ through DL/AF/KL is still a nice safety net.
On my recent two trips on Alitalia the load factors were well above 80%, the business cabins on the FCO/JFK leg were completely booked.
Old Aug 12, 18, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G ELPL, KL P ELPL, was AB G, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D, SPG P
Well, my understanding is that the loans have to be paid by the end of 2018. If this was the case, they would be in serious trouble - but you notice I'm using conditional tense Nobody know if this is going to happen. I think the advise to book AZ through a Skyteam partner and have the ticket issued by the Skyteam partner (!!!!) is a good advice.
Old Aug 12, 18, 7:28 pm

Thumbs up

Did the same thing. Delta SkyTeam codeshare Alitalia 777-200ER FCO-LAX return flight (departing via co-SkyTeam Air France A380,,LAX-CDG) for late Sept/early Oct. Signed up for both Mille Miglia & Flying Blue programs. Good choice seats, c/o Seatguru.

As a side note, upon booking and signing up last Jan,..Air France gave me a Preferred seat for free, atop A380 (Upper Deck Economy).
Old Sep 2, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: Accor Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Alitalia CFA, Emirates/Oman air Silver
Alitalia will never die 😊 🇮🇹

we (Italian citizens) will continue proudly to pay for Alitalia ...because we (Italian customers) love Alitalia

Old Sep 2, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold
How does one do that? I'm trying an intra-European flight but the only Skyteam website that I can find that allows booking the flight, is AZ themselves..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: