AZ lounge recommedation at FCO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:54 am
siw
Original Poster

Programs: AF-KL Platinum, ALL Platinum
AZ lounge recommedation at FCO

Hi,

In a few weeks time I will be transiting through FCO on AZ business class from South America to LHR, so will have about 6-7 hrs at FCO. As I've not transited through FCO before what is the best lounge (food, comfortable seating, peace and quiet etc.) to pass the time at? The SkyTeam website shows 4 lounges at FCO (https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...umicino%20(FCO)). I have only about a 1.5hr FCO connection time on the LHR to South America route so not bothering with a lounge then.

Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:23 pm

Given the circumstances (i.e. the particularly long layover), I would clear passports, go outside for some fresh air, head to T1 (departures) and spend some time in the only lounge located land-side, the former Dolce Vita, you’ll find it just beneath the big flight screen and next to the Sky Priority’s [security] fast-track. After that, you may want to clear security and head to Casa Alitalia (pier E, 15/20 minutes’ walk from the starting point), which is a pretty decent lounge with fairly good choice in terms of food & drinks. Bear in mind that there’s another Casa Alitalia lounge in the very same area (gates E) but you’ll probably notice you got the wrong one as the lounge in question is awful and looks more like a cage than an airline lounge. Any doubts, let us know.

G

siw likes this.

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jan 11, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:46 am
siw
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. So based on the SkyTeam webpage (which I linked) you state two Casa Alitalia, which are those in the hyperlink?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by siw
Thanks for the information. So based on the SkyTeam webpage (which I linked) you state two Casa Alitalia, which are those in the hyperlink?
Respectively (and quoting the Sky Team website):
  • Terminal 1, Departures area landside (former Dolce Vita)
  • G Gate Area (which is no longer G but E)
Old Jan 15, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
...you may want to clear security and head to Casa Alitalia (pier E, 15/20 minutes’ walk from the starting point), which is a pretty decent lounge with fairly good choice in terms of food & drinks. Bear in mind that there’s another Casa Alitalia lounge in the very same area (gates E) but you’ll probably notice you got the wrong one as the lounge in question is awful and looks more like a cage than an airline lounge. Any doubts, let us know.

G
Two Casa Alitalia in the same gate area? How very confusing! Any markers (gate numbers..?) for the one to use and the one to avoid?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Two Casa Alitalia in the same gate area? How very confusing! Any markers (gate numbers..?) for the one to use and the one to avoid?
More info here but below is the post you need [from the thread in question] -

[Assuming you are departing on a non-Schengen flight]

It used to be G11 with the old numbering system, E41 as we speak. If you are connecting from a service within Schengen, simply follow the signs for E and specifically E31-E44, you will reach the satellite in question with the SkyBridge people mover. If your flight departs from E1-24 or E51-61, please remember to allow plenty of time in order to reach your new gate. The Casa Alitalia in Rome is a decent lounge with above average food, even though the one at MXP is probably a tad better in all respects. In any case, enjoy.

G
The lounge you need to avoid [in the E-gates area] is in the other pier.

G
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:25 am
siw
Original Poster

Is the lounge on landside in Terminal 1 nicer then the recommended lounge in pier E? I have a load of work to do so parking myself in the better lounge for hours will give me ages to bury myself into my work than going to two separate lounges. As you said they are two lounges in pier E (one good and one not so good) can you give a reference for the good one, such as the shops or gates it is next too? Is pier E in Terimal 3, sorry for lack of FCO terminal and pier layout knowledge but I've not found anywhere that clearly shows of map of the terminal numbers and pier letters (e.g. https://www.heathrow.com/airport-gui...w/airport-maps for my home airport).

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:09 pm

Hi, @siw - You need to get to the lounge near gate E41, which will be relatively simple as your LHR flight will dock to a gate within the same concourse and your next flight to SCL/GIG/EZE will also depart from one of the E gates.

G
siw likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Hi, @siw - You need to get to the lounge near gate E41, which will be relatively simple as your LHR flight will dock to a gate within the same concourse and your next flight to SCL/GIG/EZE will also depart from one of the E gates.

G
My flight to LHR left from E08 which was in a different bit of the terminal - and the long-haul flight to GRU [assuming SCL/GIG/EZE will/could be same] also didn't leave from that area. It wasn't a problem - but you need to factor the time to travel back on the people mover from the E31-E44 gate area (which is separate to the main terminal) and re-clear security [if you come in from that pier, the assumption is that you're an inbound passenger and you need to be rescreened]
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:52 am
siw
Original Poster

You are right, the new lounge is cold, bland, bare and not very good. A small table with a few snacks and a staffed bar (but don’t ask for a hot drink that is not coffee!). As you said a ‘cage’ with the wire mesh screens. It is easy to find, near the BA lounge and not too far from the information area. Since the LHR flight is from E14 it is fairy close. The lounge near gate E42 in the satelitte concourse is better but there was no hot water in the showers this morning (straight off a remotely parked AZ689 into a cold shower is a wake up call). Will stay in the satelitte concourse lounge after todays flights and forget the new lounge.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
This may not be the right place to ask, but as a Skyteam Elite+ (Delta Platinum) would I have any sort of lounge access when flying from FCO-MAD?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you're flying on Alitalia or Air Europa, yes.

If you're flying on Iberia or Vueling, no access.

next time, check the Skyteam website.
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...umicino%20(FCO)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you're flying on Alitalia or Air Europa, yes.

If you're flying on Iberia or Vueling, no access.

next time, check the Skyteam website.
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...umicino%20(FCO)
Ah, stupid me didn't even think to check the Skyteam site. Yep, flying Alitalia. Cool! Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Hi, which lounge should I go to specifically for breakfast, departing to Schengen?
Landside or D area?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Hi, which lounge should I go to specifically for breakfast, departing to Schengen?
Landside or D area?
Landside then straight through nearby security (Sky Priority lane literally just outside the lounge) and not even 5 minutes' walk to B (or C).

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.