FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   Transferred Amex points but still can't book award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1876639-transferred-amex-points-but-still-cant-book-award-ticket.html)

mmlm7 Nov 9, 2017 3:45 am

Transferred Amex points but still can't book award ticket

Hi all!

I hope some of you can help/advise on what to do.

I transferred Amex points to my MilleMiglia account and points immediately showed up in my mileage balance. However, when I tried to book an award ticket it keeps saying I have insufficient miles.

I called MilleMiglia and they said the award booking system is not recognizing those Amex points even though they can see they are already showing in my MilleMilgia account. They very kindly tried multiple times to book it for me over the phone by putting temporary miles but their system still won't let them process the booking.

Has this happened to any of you before? How do I resolve this? Their agents have been very helpful with trying to fix it but it seems they're limited in what they can do. They said it's a systems glitch.

Hoping for help on this. Thank you!

irishguy28 Nov 9, 2017 6:13 pm

There used to be requirement that a minimum percentage of the miles used to make any booking had to have been earned by flying.

While I believe this restriction has been removed from the current programme T&Cs, perhaps the booking tool still operates on this basis...

rbAA Nov 11, 2017 11:36 pm

From AZ's website

Awards with purchased or transferred miles
PURCHASED AND/OR TRANSFERRED MILES MAY BE USED FOR A MAXIMUM OF 75% OF THE MILES REQUIRED FOR ANY REQUESTED AWARD. THE REMAINING 25% OF THE MILES MUST BE EARNED WITH ALITALIA OR MILLEMIGLIA PARTNERS.

When booking an award, Alitalia will check your earned and purchased or transferred miles status on your account and the system will consume first the purchased (or transferred) miles up to a maximum of 75% of the miles required for the award. Miles accrued with Alitalia or MilleMiglia Partners will be used for the rest of the total amount of miles required.

Example: Do you want to redeem a 40,000 mile award? You may use up to 30,000 miles purchased (and/or transferred) and 10,000 miles earned with Alitalia flights or MilleMiglia partners.

irishguy28 Nov 13, 2017 6:54 am

I had thought this rule was no longer in force, as it is no longer in the "T&Cs" of the current version of Millemiglia.

HOwever, given that the above text appears in all forms and versions, including the current Italian page, it looks like it is indeed in force.

danukraine Jun 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Hello.
Any workaround on 75% limit on transferred miles?
Thanks.

irishguy28 Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

There is no limit on how many miles you can transfer into MM.

However, to use them to book flights, you must also acquire miles by flying. A minimum of 25% of the miles required for any redemption must have come from flying.

NickB Jun 11, 2018 4:41 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29054798)
I had thought this rule was no longer in force, as it is no longer in the "T&Cs" of the current version of Millemiglia.

HOwever, given that the above text appears in all forms and versions, including the current Italian page, it looks like it is indeed in force.

Can you clarify where it appears in the English version? As you say, it is not in the TandCs and the only place I can find a reference to it is for a personal transfer from an individual M&M member to another individual M&M member and not in relation to transfers from Financial partners such as Amex. If it is not stated in the TandCs and does not appear in the pages related to points acquired via transfer from financial institutions, then I do not see how it could possibly be enforceable.

irishguy28 Jun 11, 2018 7:23 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 29852769)
If it is not stated in the TandCs and does not appear in the pages related to points acquired via transfer from financial institutions, then I do not see how it could possibly be enforceable.

Originally Posted by Alitalia
TRANSFER REGULATIONS

13. The transferee, under the provisions of applicable law, in the moment of the award request can use the miles transferred to him up to the maximum of 75% of the award value in miles (25% of the miles required for an award must be earned miles with Alitalia or Alitalia‘s Partner).

Originally Posted by Alitalia
BUY AND GIFT MILES - REGULATIONS

13. The purchaser or the recipient, under the provisions of applicable law, at the moment of the award request can use the miles purchased or gifted up to the maximum of 75% of the award value in miles (25% of the miles required for an award must be earned with Alitalia or Alitalia’s Partners).

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/mille...red-miles.html

MSPeconomist Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am

I would interpret the rule as saying that you can't purchase miles from AZ or have AZ miles transferred to you from someone else's AZ account in excess of 75%, but there's no specification that earning with AZ partners means airline partners only.

irishguy28 Jun 11, 2018 7:34 am

OK, so you don't need to have flown, but you have have to have "earned" miles the "hard" way [Flying/hotel stay/car rental etc].

You can't just buy your way to an award.

NickB Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28 (Post 29853216)
OK, so you don't need to have flown, but you have have to have "earned" miles the "hard" way [Flying/hotel stay/car rental etc].

You can't just buy your way to an award.

Again, where does it say that? The pages you quote in post #8 are those about buying miles of transferring miles from one AZ account to another. These are not the pages relating to somebody transferring miles from Amex (or any other partner for that matter)

irishguy28 Jun 11, 2018 8:09 am

1 Attachment(s)
You seem to think that there is more than one type of "transferred mile". Where does it say that?

That there is no specific page for "transfer miles from your credit card" is entirely explained by the fact that such transfers must be initiated from the partner website. That doesn't, however, seem to justify your opinion that these "transfer miles" are not "transfer miles".

If you have any further queries on the matter, I advise you to take it up directly with:

Alitalia Loyalty S.p.A.
Via Alberto Nassetti s.n.c.
Fiumicino, RM 00054
Italia

https://www.alitalia.com/en_en/mille...red-miles.html

thepinenuts Oct 31, 2018 2:20 am

Anybody ever get a definitive answer from Alitalia on this question?

aviators99 Nov 5, 2018 1:55 pm

I just booked an award flight after transferring from Amex. I just opened the MilleMiglia account 30 seconds before I called reservations to book the flight, and transferred 100% of the miles from Amex while I was on the phone.

thepinenuts Nov 5, 2018 5:41 pm

Thank you.