Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are all miles going to expire on Jan 2018?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Hi all,

I’m a little bit confused. I didn’t have many miles (enough for an intra-Europe redemption) but I’d like to know why the points balance in my Account is now a big fat zero? Weren’t the miles meant to be extended till 31 March 2018?

Cheers,

Marcelduchamp

Last edited by marcelduchamp; Jan 17, 2018 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hi all,

i’m a little bit confused. I didn’t have many miles (enough for an intra-Europe redemption) but I’d like to know why the points balance in my Account is now a big fat zero? Weren’t the miles meant to be extended till 31 March 2018?

Cheers,

Marcelduchamp
The big fat zero refers to the miles earned in the new programme, i.e. since 1 Jan 2018.

If you go to the Award Booking tool, your mileage balance from the old programme is still available to spend.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AZ
or you should click to: ACCOUNT STATEMENT 2013-2017
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ KF Elite Gold, QR Gold, IB Plata, Hilton Honors Gold
Ah! OK. Thank you @irishguy28 and @A359!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: UA MM PL /AA/DL PL/LY GL
Friends,

I just flew 4 AZ flights last week, but I bought them on Dec 20th.

Can anyone say definitively whether I have now saved my 2013-2017 miles and rolled them over?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The big fat zero refers to the miles earned in the new programme, i.e. since 1 Jan 2018.

If you go to the Award Booking tool, your mileage balance from the old programme is still available to spend.
Thank you for this info irishguy28. I also thought I lost my miles and did not realize they were still there in the booking area. This website is a nightmare to use however!
Do you happen to know if you can book a trip now (before March 31 when they expire) but for travel after March 31?
I arrive in Italy on April 1 and will be able to book a flight now for April . I have been playing on the site and it seems to allow me to do so - but then again I never complete the booking so it may bomb out there!
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Yes. You can book for travel after March 31.
cece4 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by TLVflyer
Friends,

I just flew 4 AZ flights last week, but I bought them on Dec 20th.

Can anyone say definitively whether I have now saved my 2013-2017 miles and rolled them over?

Thanks!
You have not.
You have to buy and fly between 1st Jan and 31st Mar 2018.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
Do I need to be on two Alitalia flights or 4 flights to keep my points? Thanks.

am thinking of doing a mile run to keep my miles as I don't seem to be able to find flights for numerous dates. So, just going to buy some time to use those miles by doing a mile run.

An email I received last week

Simply purchase and fly 2 flights with Alitalia by March 31, 2018 to keep the miles of the previous edition and have the opportunity to get a bonus miles equal to a percentage of your unused miles balance from the 2013-2017 edition of the Program, to use them in the new edition of the Program.

When I click on the link ...

WITH THE SPECIAL LOYALTY BONUS, YOUR 2018 MILEAGE ACCOUNT CAN BE EVEN RICHER

Take part in the special “Loyalty Bonus” promotion dedicated to all MilleMiglia Program Members!

If you purchase and fly 4 legs of your choice operated by Alitalia between 1 January and 31 March 2018, you will receive a bonus miles equal to a percentage of your unused miles balance from the 2013-2017 edition of the Program, as at 1 April 2018.

The bonus miles will differ according to the type of Exclusive Club membership you have reached on 31 March 2018, making you eligible to obtain.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salfcl
Do I need to be on two Alitalia flights or 4 flights to keep my points? Thanks.
As per the website, it has to be 4 legs.

i.e. you need to travel on 4 uniquely-numbered AZ flights.

However, given that your profile is based in Canada, and according to the terms of the offer that I see, you would not qualify. Only countries in Europe, North Africa and Middle East are eligible for the offer - so check carefully to see if your offer does, in fact, allow Canadian residents to keep their miles under this offer.

EDIT: AS you are presumably registered in the "rest of the world", your link should have been to this separate offer which only requires 2 legs.

In which country is your Millemiglia account registered? That is what determines which of the two offers you are eligible for.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jan 30, 2018 at 7:30 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:04 am

As per the website, it has to be 4 legs.

i.e. you need to travel on 4 uniquely-numbered AZ flights.

However, given that your profile is based in Canada, and according to the terms of the offer that I see, you would not qualify. Only countries in Europe, North Africa and Middle East are eligible for the offer - so check carefully to see if your offer does, in fact, allow Canadian residents to keep their miles under this offer.

EDIT: AS you are presumably registered in the "rest of the world", your link should have been to this separate offer which only requires 2 legs.

In which country is your Millemiglia account registered? That is what determines which of the two offers you are eligible for.
I am registered as a Canadian resident for Millemiglia.

I have been receiving different email offers. The first one was to keep the miles after flying four flights on AZ; the next one was to keep the miles plus bonus. This latest email offer was for 2 flights.

I am abit confused now ...my earlier understanding of the offer is that if I do 4 AZ flights, I will get to keep my miles and also get the bonus miles. This was based on the first email offer I got from them.

But on reading from the link you provided, it seems to suggest that I keep only a portion of my old edition miles based on my status if I fly the two AZ flights.

However , the email states "Simply purchase and fly 2 flights with Alitalia by March 31, 2018 to keep the miles of the previous edition and have the opportunity to get a bonus miles equal to a percentage of your unused miles balance from the 2013-2017 edition of the Program, to use them in the new edition of the Program.

Which of the interpretation is correct - the website or the email? Perhaps I have misread the website.

Thanks for the insight, Irishguy28. You are always a great help .

Last edited by salfcl; Jan 30, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are registered in Canada, you only need 2 flights/legs. That is according to the terms of the offers as published.

Check again the offer that the email brings you to - could it be that they sent you to the wrong offer? You can quickly find out by studying the T&Cs,
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:44 am

If you are registered in Canada, you only need 2 flights/legs. That is according to the terms of the offers as published.

Check again the offer that the email brings you to - could it be that they sent you to the wrong offer? You can quickly find out by studying the T&Cs,
The email offer says 2 flights ...the link provided brings me to the 4 flights offer for the other regions.
So, if I do the 2 flights, I get to keep my existing miles plus earn a bonus based on status. Would that be correct?

Thanks.

Last edited by salfcl; Jan 31, 2018 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I have exactly the same confusion as salfcl, whether
1) All remaining unused points in 2017 + bonus points per the tier status, or
2) Only the bonus points per the tier status

Although I'm under the impression that they won't be as generous as the 1) interpretation, but I can't help hoping it's the true offer.
I tried to speak to the customer service line, but they didn't even understand some other simpler questions on the same call, so I gave up on my conversation with them.

Hope someone can help clarify this.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's really quite simple. And not actually a very good offer. You should aim to have such a low balance remaining that flying to save a fraction of the unused balance makes no sense whatsoever. If you have such a large balance that taking flights specially to "save" a fraction of the expiring balance appears to make sense, you are going to be hit by a huge devaluation in the new programme, so you may as well spend them now as later - particularly if you lack the ability to save the entire balance.

The miles you earned in the now-closed "2013-2017 programme" are the ones in jeopardy. They are currently dying. If you have not used/spent them all by the end of March, and take no other action as explained below, every single mile earned prior to 1 January 2018 will die. Miles earned on or after 1 January 2018 belong to the "2018 programme", which is the current iteration of Millemiglia, and these miles are not in any current danger.

The balance remaining of your "2013-2017 programme" miles is listed separately in your Millemiglia account under https://www.alitalia.com/it_it/perso...2013-2017.html. Whatever balance remains in this account on 31 March 2018 are the miles that will die unless you take action; the balance remaining in this account is also what determines the so-called "bonus" that you may be able to "rescue", i.e. convert into new "2018 programme" miles. In the parlance of the "2018 Bonus offer", the word "bonus" has no other meaning - the previous poster has misinterpreted what "bonus" means, for example. Instead of "bonus", think of it as being the "salvagable balance of remaining, unused miles from the expired program".

How many of these miles you can save, depends on your status:
  • If you have no status, the "Loyalty Bonus 2018" offer will allow you to "rescue" 50% of this number, meaning that half of whatever balance remains in your "2013-2017 programme" account on 31 March 2018 will be converted to miles valid in the 2018 programme, to be added to your 2018 programme balance by 15 April 2018
  • If you are a Ulisse member, the "Loyalty Bonus 2018" offer will allow you to "rescue" 75% of this number, meaning that three-quarters of whatever balance remains in your "2013-2017 programme" account on 31 March 2018 will be converted to miles valid in the 2018 programme, to be added to your 2018 programme balance by 15 April 2018
  • If you are a Freccia Alata or Freccia Alata Plus member, the "Loyalty Bonus 2018" offer will allow you to "rescue" 100% of these miles, meaning that the full balance remaining in your "2013-2017 programme" account on 31 March 2018 will be converted to miles valid in the 2018 programme, to be added to your 2018 programme balance by 15 April 2018.

The manner of "rescuing" your miles depends on where your account is registered:
  • If your account is registered in Europe, North Africa or the Middle East, you must book and fly at least 4 Alitalia sectors, all such activity (booking AND flying) occurring between 1 January and 31 March 2018 inclusive
  • If your account is registered anywhere else, you must book and fly at least 2 Alitalia sectors, all such activity (booking AND flying) occurring between 1 January and 31 March 2018 inclusive

It does, unfortunately, appear that flights you may have alredy booked in 2017 to be taken during the first quarter of 2018 won't count as legs that can be used to "rescue" miles from the old programme. New bookings, made in 2018, appear to be required to have this effect.

For example:
  • A non-status Millemiglia member resident in Belgium who books and flies 4 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 50,000 miles remainining in his "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will have 25,000 miles added to his "2018 programme" balance by 15 April 2018.
  • A Ulisse member resident in Italy who books and flies 4 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 5,000 miles remainining in her "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will have 3,750 miles added to her "2018 programme" balance by 15 April 2018.
  • A Freccia Alata member resident in Mexico who books and flies 2 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 15,000 miles remainining in his "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will have 15,000 miles added to his "2018 programme" balance by 15 April 2018.
  • A Freccia Alata Plus member resident in the United States who books and flies 2 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 200 miles remainining in her "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will have 200 miles added to her "2018 programme" balance by 15 April 2018.

However:
  • A non-status Millemiglia member resident in France who books and flies 2 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 30,000 miles remainining in his "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will forfeit these miles completely, having no miles transferred to the "2018 programme".
  • A Ulisse member resident in Canada who books and flies 1 Alitalia leg in the first quarter, (with a second leg occuring outside the period, e.g. in April 2018) and who has a balance of 5,000 miles remainining in her "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will forfeit these miles completely, having no miles transferred to the "2018 programme".
  • A Freccia Alata member resident in Italy who books and flies 2 Alitalia legs in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 100,000 miles remainining in his "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will forfeit these miles completely, having no miles transferred to the "2018 programme".
  • A Freccia Alata Plus member resident in the United Kingdom who takes no Alitalia flights in the first quarter, and who has a balance of 12,000 miles remainining in her "2013-2017 programme" balance on 31 March 2018, will forfeit these miles completely, having no miles transferred to the "2018 programme".

By far the best advice would be to SPEND YOUR 2013-2017 balance. Everyone, regardless of location or status, has the ability to spend their ENTIRE balance if they do so prior to 31 March 2018 if you have an amount that is usable for a decent flight (you can, of course, also "top up" this amount to a usable amount by using miles from your "2018 Programme" balance too); you can book travel right up to January 2019 at the moment, and by the date the old miles will expire -31 March 2018 - it will be possible to book as far ahead as Feb/March 2019. (of course, whether Alitalia will still be in existence and/or whether award tickets issued for travel so far in the future will be honoured after a potential material change in Alitalia's circumstances in the coming months, remains to be seen. I also would not recommend leaving it until the very last minute to spend the miles - do so in good time).

If you have so few miles in your account that you cannot do anything worthwhile with them now, you should really consider if it is worth the expenditure of 2 or 4 AZ sectors to save such an inconsequential amount. (If you need to take these AZ flights, fine; but if you are considering flying just to save a small number of miles - particularly if that requires you to buy a longhaul ticket - then the logic for doing so seems absent).

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 1, 2018 at 9:36 am Reason: formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.