Taxes refund on unused ticket

Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Taxes refund on unused ticket

Hi,
Long story short, I have an AZ intra-european ticket that I can't use. I bought it online for the wrong dates and as soon as I got the itinerary I realised, I called AZ in the US given it was within 24 hours but since google had taken me to alitalia.it instead of .com they couldn't touch the ticket and no refund. I called Alitalia in Italy to try to change the ticket but apparently calling from overseas to the reservations number isn't a workable option. I called the local office and their systems were down for days so I just gave up bought a new ticket for the correct dates on another airline.

Now I have a ticket that i'm not going to use. I know the fare isn't refundable, but what about the taxes for the ticket? It seems they should be able to refund that to me. Any advice?

thanks
goodo
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Shouldn't you be contacting your OLTA? Given that, I'm not optimistic in that the best case would be that they charge a service fee that approximately equals the amount of the taxes.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

I booked through Alitalia directly. Just thought it'd ask here before I contacted them.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goodo
I booked through Alitalia directly. Just thought it'd ask here before I contacted them.
Have you tried to check the AZ website to see whether they charge an administrative fee to refund the taxes? That's usually the gotcha in these cases.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by goodo
what about the taxes for the ticket? It seems they should be able to refund that to me. Any advice?
You are indeed entitled to get a partial refund and you can therefore claim taxes back, the number to call is either +390665649 (you will need to ask for an English speaker, the call centre is based in Romania) or +443335665544 (UK, which should redirect you to the call centre in Albania). The other day I called for exactly the same reason (I had cancelled my outward journey due to strike, I did however keep my inward flight) and got the funds through my Amex in roughly 48 hours (admittedly, I was expecting to face the worst given the current turmoil affecting the airline). In my experience, refunds for tickets purchased via PayPal are processed even quicker, normally the money would appear in your account within 24 hours.

G
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
whether they charge an administrative fee to refund the taxes?
No, they don't.

G
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. Yes thats the number the AZ website says to call, i'll do it once I've arrived in Italy.

Thanks
goodo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.