Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
Interesting article

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/29/bailo...yses-rome.html
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:19 pm

Matteo Renzi is now being projected as likely to win the election today in Italy. And Renzi has been saying recently that Alitalia can and must be saved.

The widespread postings of Alitalia's obituary by the press just might turn out to be premature. So the next month could be interesting for those of us who want to see Alitalia survive.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If Renzi was silly enough to organize a constitutional referendum, he could be silly enough to "save" AZ. But a lot can happen till the May 2018 general elections.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:16 am

if the elections are in may 2018, and they clearly would not last that long, can somebody explain how him winning would really change anything?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by rje444
The widespread postings of Alitalia's obituary by the press just might turn out to be premature.
True to some extent. Admittedly, I tend to read (when bothered) financial newspapers only, whereas I have literally abandoned mainstream media and press since the wars in the former Yugoslavia i.e. quite a few years ago

G
Old Apr 30, 2017, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by dan88
if the elections are in may 2018, and they clearly would not last that long, can somebody explain how him winning would really change anything?
He would use the [AZ] saga for political gains, I suspect he would adopt a similar modus-operandi which featured amongst the main highlights in Berlusconi's manifesto back in 2008. On this particular occasion, though, he may have not realised that the limited time for action will almost certainly prove to be mission-impossible material for his own (and anybody's) abilities.

G
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
mission-impossible material for his own (and anybody's) abilities.

G
He has said that he would introduce a plan to save Alitalia by May 15th. I do have to wonder what sort of a government bailout he could introduce in such a short time. But maybe he knows he won't really have a workable plan and is just being political. But that brings up the question of whether advocating for saving Alitalia is even a winning position in Italy right now. Polling (if we can believe them) is showing the public in Italy opposing a government bailout of Alitalia by 70%.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:46 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dan88
thanks very much. I was just reading about the 400-plus, but what essentially does that mean? Is there any idea on how long that will keep operations going?I thought I read alitalia loses 500k a day, which would mean 100 days of operations at 400m? Then again I imagine they are losing more per day now that people would be scared to book. I'm 6 or 7 weeks away from flying.
It is most likely much more than 500K per day. If it was only 500K then a 400m loan would last them three years.

I can imagine that if this loan is indeed going to happen the money would be used to keep operations running while the airline becomes even less profitable over the next months. People may cancel flights, and probably far fewer new bookings will be coming in - until either the airline is restructured, sold (and then restructured), or collapses.

If restructuring is even an option. The employees voted down the restructuring plan before, so there may not be another - and even if there is, it is not guaranteed that it will be accepted then.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
It is most likely much more than 500K per day. If it was only 500K then a 400m loan would last them three years.
I suspect that those estimating loses at 500k/day used the figure of aids that Italy has granted over the years. Over 40 years and up until 2014, Italy spend just over 7B € on their baby. That's 180M €/Year or 500K €/day.

On average it's probably much more. I read some "experts" estimating losses at 2M €/day. That would roughly fit: A 400M € loan would last for about 6 months if they manage to keep loses at 2M €/day. IMO they won't be able to hold that level of loss. If ticket sales tank, they'll be looking at more loses.

Originally Posted by Xandrios
People may cancel flights, and probably far fewer new bookings will be coming in - until either the airline is restructured, sold (and then restructured), or collapses.
I think that's where the Italian government went wrong. If Italy decides to save Alitalia, they'll get hammered by the European commission for circumventing competition law and possibly violating state aid law.

IMO they should have set up a fund with the money to rebook any passenger that is stranded as a result of the bankruptcy of a carrier with an Italian AOC. That way, those already booked on AZ wouldn't have to fear insolvency.

By financing AZ directly now, they are just going to keep AZ alive for another month (given that currently nobody wants to buy them) and the people won't strand in May or June but August or September.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
Looks like Renzi has been re-elected. That could be good news for AZ.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by AirCub1
Looks like Renzi has been re-elected. That could be good news for AZ.
As there seems to be some confusion: Renzi has not been elected, but has been chosen to lead the Democratic Party. There are no general elections planned in Italy at the moment, and while Renzi could influence the current government, he has no direct power over the government's decisions at the moment.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by malmostoso
As there seems to be some confusion: Renzi has not been elected, but has been chosen to lead the Democratic Party. There are no general elections planned in Italy at the moment, and while Renzi could influence the current government, he has no direct power over the government's decisions at the moment.
While he officially has no direct power over the government, as the party leader of the main party leading the government, with an eye on elections within a year, the temptation is clearly there for him to find a way to "save" the airline and jobs, rather than go to elections having let the company fail and 12000 jobs be los, under a PD-led government
Old May 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dh01
While he officially has no direct power over the government, as the party leader of the main party leading the government, with an eye on elections within a year, the temptation is clearly there for him to find a way to "save" the airline and jobs, rather than go to elections having let the company fail and 12000 jobs be los, under a PD-led government
Without going into OMNI/PR territory, I think "saving" AZ would cost more votes than the 50k (optimistically) it would earn from AZ staff and their friends and families.

Additionally, I don't think that all jobs would be lost. Pilots will be hired by LH to be used as bargaining tool against their current staff, and flight attendants will go to FR and VY for minimum wage (only paid gate-to-gate, of course). Sadly sarcastic.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by dh01
the temptation is clearly there for him to find a way to "save" the airline and jobs, rather than go to elections having let the company fail and 12000 jobs be lost, under a PD-led government
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Without going into OMNI/PR territory, I think "saving" AZ would cost more votes than the 50k (optimistically) it would earn from AZ staff and their friends and families.
Which of these positions is correct should be known quite soon, as Renzi has stated that his plan to save Alitalia will be made public by May 15th.

Unless he meant May 15th 2047.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Unions backed the plan so this vote by AZ employees was not a victory for them.
This is a movie we have already seen other times (last replica was in 2008) and Management has never been held accountable.
To let Pilots and FAs to pay for it and to blame them is not correct. It has been since the seventies (when the first known data leaked out) that AZ pilots and FAs have among the lowest payrolls in Europe.
Starting 2008 many of them have been able to make like-for-like comparison in real time:
VY vs AZ
U2 vs AZ
QR vs AZ
EK vs AZ
EY vs AZ
FR vs AZ
CX vs AZ
and so on (the airline list for AZ 2008 diaspora is long).
I congratulate them for this time they stand up against something that is everything but a business plan. I hope they will continue to stand. Those who voted NO are aware of their fate and the message is clear: it is better to let AZ die in dignity and leave the management of commercial aviation to professionals which seem not to be based in Italy (and perhaps not even in UAE).

As far as I am concerned, I had enjoyable flights and experiences with AZ (LAI and CAI) the vast majority of times.
I have been CFA when it was their top tier but I was one of those living in the north-east of Italy who succumbed to MXP fiasco and turned the business elsewhere (LH first and AF/KL after).
I obviously hope not but I am afraid I am going to miss that feeling of happiness/hate of being home while stepping into those tricoloured A shaped tail planes at LCY and LHR.
It is also sad to see one of the most beautiful, elegant and adaptable airline liveries ever made to disappear :-(

Ulxima

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.