Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Unless you are scheduled to travel in 6/7 months’ time, I wouldn’t worry and I’d just look forward to enjoying Magnifica (alias business class), which is a really good product. I seem to remember (from a different thread) you are indeed booked in J.

G
I'm flying with alitalia in August and then December!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Saw this pop up on a neighbouring forum!!!

ANA & Alitalia form Strategic Partnership
Old Apr 8, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Interesting. Concidence or related to the LH offer?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
Interesting. Concidence or related to the LH offer?
Possibly, just a coincidence. Recently, they signed other agreements as well (see the JV’s partnership with AR) hence I doubt this has anything to do with LH being behind the scenes (if that’s still the case at all).

G
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:33 am

One has to assume that there is effectively no risk for the partners in these deals. i.e. if it works out it's some extra revenue for them, if not they don't lose out. They'd be nuts to agree to take on any risk around the AZ basket case.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
One has to assume that there is effectively no risk for the partners in these deals. i.e. if it works out it's some extra revenue for them, if not they don't lose out. They'd be nuts to agree to take on any risk around the AZ basket case.
As in any commercial agreement, the partner (e.g. NH, AR and even other Sky Team carriers each time when entering a new code-sharing agreement with AZ, including those within JV with AF/KL/DL) would have taken such risks into consideration and more so given the above circumstances (i.e. AZ in the current state), I don’t think they’ve deliberately and all of a sudden turned into charity or non-profit entities.

G
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
One has to assume that there is effectively no risk for the partners in these deals. i.e. if it works out it's some extra revenue for them, if not they don't lose out..
If by "doesn't work out" you mean AZ disappearing, I'd like to see how ANA is going to arrange to rebook any customers on these AZ codeshares, particularly on domestic sectors
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If by "doesn't work out" you mean AZ disappearing, I'd like to see how ANA is going to arrange to rebook any customers on these AZ codeshares, particularly on domestic sectors
Well this is exactly my point. Unless ANA are idiots, they must have assured themselves that whatever happens to AZ, the consequences - including potentially leaving customers SOL - won’t cost ANA much financially or reputationally.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:44 am

I'd like to see how ANA is going to arrange to rebook any customers on these AZ codeshares, particularly on domestic sectors
As much as we like to think that we always know better here on FT (), one would however assume that NH have a robust back-up plan in place and that, given the extended Italian network of their own Star Alliance partners (see LH from MUC/FRA, for instance), any sudden changes to AZ's current circumstances would be addressed without a great deal of trouble

G
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:54 pm

Given the never ending saga we (including myself) probably all forgot that today April 10th was the last deadline in order to forward the binding offers and, according to various press sources, Lufthansa is amongst the 3 (Alitalia confirmed the number of offers as well) who confirmed interest. I’ll try to post a link later as I’ve just got my pint served after a hard day at work here in Sarajevo

G
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:19 pm

(ANSA) - Rome, April 10 - Lufthansa has presented an offer for Alitalia, sources said on Tuesday. A deadline for binding proposals for the former Italian flag-carrier ran out at 16:00 on Tuesday. EasyJet said Tuesday that it has presented "a revised expression of interest for a restructured Alitalia, together with a consortium, and consistent with EasyJet's current strategy in Italy". The low-cost carrier added in a statement that "considering the type of procedure, the content of this expression of interest remains reserved". The airline also stressed that "in this phase there is no certainty that a transaction will move forward" and said it will "provide further details at the opportune time".

Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:33 pm

In the meantime (as per Il Sole 24 Ore), AF confirmed that they are currently in talks with AZ and working towards a new, improved cooperation within the transatlantic joint-venture.

That aside and given the current political turmoil in Italy (nothing new there but there’s literally no government in charge as we speak), I suspect we may not see any significant change to the current state-of-play until at least the end of the forthcoming summer.

G
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given the never ending saga we (including myself) probably all forgot that today April 10th was the last deadline in order to forward the binding offers and, according to various press sources, Lufthansa is amongst the 3 (Alitalia confirmed the number of offers as well) who confirmed interest. I’ll try to post a link later as I’ve just got my pint served after a hard day at work here in Sarajevo

G
I thought I had read it was extended to Q3 or Q4 2018?

EDIT: well, it seems the government are sticking to the timetable, but not going to react for some time.

Originally Posted by ch-aviation.com
As it stands, Il Sole 24 Ore reports Rome is now set to finalize plans to extend the deadline to October this year. The additional time will allow interested parties more time to assess Italy's new political landscape given the outcome of the election.

Last edited by irishguy28; Apr 11, 2018 at 2:05 am
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:34 am

I thought I had read it was extended to Q3 or Q4 2018?

EDIT: well, it seems the government are sticking to the timetable, but not going to react for some time.
I'm not entirely sure what the latest [political] developments are to be perfectly honest but, knowing (roughly) the agenda of both contenders/leaders (i.e. those who got most votes from the recent elections and who may well end up on the same boat in terms of forming a government together), I suspect they will not be particularly inclined to accept unbending restructuring plans (which the carrier desperately needs to survive and to compete, most of all) and we will sadly be facing the same circus of 2008 when AF was on the verge of taking over.

G
Lefly likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
I'm not entirely sure what the latest [political] developments are to be perfectly honest but, knowing (roughly) the agenda of both contenders/leaders (i.e. those who got most votes from the recent elections and who may well end up on the same boat in terms of forming a government together), I suspect they will not be particularly inclined to accept unbending restructuring plans (which the carrier desperately needs to survive and to compete, most of all) and we will sadly be facing the same circus of 2008 when AF was on the verge of taking over.
The good news is, there will be - some time in the future - even for AZ an end to the ongoing saga:
  1. AZ turns itself into a money earning business (which is tough it imagine - if one looks at the AZ history in the last 10 - 15 years)
  2. AZ is taken over by one or several other airlines or by some financial investors which will restructure AZ - with all its effects - to make it a money making business
  3. AZ is running out of cash - and one day - either the Italian politics (less likely) or the EU (more likely) will decline any further financial support from the public (I cannot imagine that any "private" investor is currently willing to put any more money into AZ)
However, the longer it takes to decide if a take-over will take place, the more likely option 3 will get. Who will be willing waste more efforts in offer after an offer? Except for planes and crews, LH and U2 can start offering more routes out of Italy any time. This will make life for AZ even worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.