Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by rma1999
How many times has AZ gone broke?? 3-4?? Di Maio has not learned the lesson!! More good money going to follow bad money......
It's a miracle he even learnt to tie his shoes
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

We seem to be close to the end of this chapter of the AZ saga. According to this article (Italian, use incognito mode to circumvent paywall), LH does not want to partner with the Italian government (I find it hard to blame them), other Italian entities do not appear to be interested in investing, while the Italian Railways FS will make a formal offer to purchase the company.

LH does not exclude commercial agreements with the new AZ however, but there's no more substance than this generic statement.
Andy82 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:40 pm

It has to be said, as an important side to the above news and indeed latest developments, that the train company would only commit [in terms of investment] if a strategic partner (i.e. an airline) is found — their CEO was crystal clear in that respect. That aside, a few media sources are reporting Delta to be acting in the background (which is hardly surprising, given the frequent meetings with the current Alitalia’s CEO) not only to take charge (which would mean up to 49% as a non-EU entity) but also to redefine the carrier’s role within the North American joint-venture. All-in-all, it is hard to see anything happening before the first few months of the forthcoming year, hoping that a healthy business like the Italian train operator will not follow Alitalia’s renowned pattern...

G
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:24 am

Update | AZ Press Release | Offers

As per above, Alitalia announced that, as of yesterday, 3 offers were received (no further details provided, though).

According to ANSA (the Italian news agency), the Italian State Railways (FS) and Delta have both made binding offers whereas the last one from EasyJet is a non-binding offer.

G
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:52 am

Delta submits binding offer for piece of Alitalia: source

G
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Thanks God to don’t let the Germans buy Alitalia 🙏
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:55 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I believe Lufthansa would make a good owner, they have done a good job with Swiss, Austrian and well we aren’t sure about Brussels yet.

I understand why they don’t want in if the government still has their fingers in the pie.

on the other hand, Delta would both be interesting and favourable. If Lufthansa did get hold of Alitalia it would give them just too much presence throughout Europe.
AlicorporateUK and malmostoso like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Lewis42
I believe Lufthansa would make a good owner, they have done a good job with Swiss, Austrian and well we aren’t sure about Brussels yet.

I understand why they don’t want in if the government still has their fingers in the pie.
Wise words.

G
malmostoso likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
According to ANSA (the Italian news agency), the Italian State Railways (FS) and Delta have both made binding offers whereas the last one from EasyJet is a non-binding offer.
It does not matter who is making offers for AZ and who finally gets it. If the new owner wants to avoid AZ loosing tons of money again in case that fuel prices go up, and they will in the future, AZ needs to be restructured heavily. Otherwise the new owner will burn money as quick as EY did. However, it looks like none fo the current stakeholders (i.e. government, trade unions, employees, ...) is willing to accept this. I am pretty sure, that another state driven bailout will not be accepted by the EU and AZ's competitors.

The other tricky question is the discussion between the Italian Government and the EU regarding next year's budget plans. Currently, the EU is rejecting the budget plan. I am wondering if any involvement of the state owned FS will be considered by the EU as an Italian state investment into AZ and how they are going to react on this.

Interesting times ...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

It appears the Italian Railways (FS) have come up with their plan (Italian, use incognito mode to circumvent paywall) to take on AZ. Four pillars to the plan, (1) an alliance with DL and U2; (2) restructuring of the staff structure without layoffs and with the agreement of unions; (3) the approval by the EU regarding the merger of railway and airways; (4) approval by the EU to convert half of the 900M€ loan into equity, thereby making the Italian government a shareholder.

Good luck to everyone involved.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
FS is the best solution for Alitalia and Italy also.

Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Dav77
FS is the best solution for Alitalia and Italy also.
I strongly doubt it is and for a number of reasons, first and foremost the fact that the involvement of the state-owned train operator is merely an act of trickery from the government in order to safeguard its political interests and therefore avoiding unrest from the unions, which are the clear winners (and always have been) in this situation and, as usual, will strongly oppose any restructuring plan or indeed changes to the current ineffective status-quo.

G
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:31 pm

The DL board is abuzz with speculation.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:54 pm

It appears that LH and the italian government can't agree on a plan forward, and as a result the Germans have withdrawn for the moment. FS is now left with DL/AF as only viable partner.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:33 am

Who could blame LH...
malmostoso and Lefly like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.