Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > ITA Airways | Volare > Alitalia | MilleMiglia
Reload this Page >

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unions voted down recapitalisation plan [Merged future of Alitalia thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
http://themarketmogul.com/likely-ali...cy/?hvid=EsrZc

A well-written article which puts the actions of some of the members of the union into perspective. Well worth a read.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:42 am

The Italian minister of transport has officially announced the injection of 300M€ of state funds, which will serve to avoid an otherwise imminent grounding. Graziano Delrio has also clearly dismissed any rumours suggesting a potential nationalisation, reiterating that the funds in question will only facilitate the job of the special commissioner (yet to be announced), who will be given a 6-month's time-frame to either wrap things up basically (alias liquidation) or to find other investors, with the latter being, frankly, mission impossible.

G
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Alitalia MilleMiglia
Interesting experience at check-in this morning at FCO T1. I used the new AZ business class check-in area (with the red carpets) - the baggage belts at which are still out of order and rely on baggage handling staff to come and collect the bags to put on belts across at the economy check-in desks.

Despite having checked in online, the process seemed painfully slow and there was lots of discussion between staff members as to whether it was still possible to issue a boarding card for the second leg of the flight (even though it is AZ operated flight).

I was then asked for my full address in Italy and the address of where I would be staying in London. I asked why this was being asked for, and I was told that it was a 'new Alitalia regulation'. I reminded her very politely that I was travelling within the European Union, and that I was under no obligation to reveal to AZ where I would be staying in London. She replied that' 'just the name of any hotel will do', so I gave her the name of the first one that popped into my head.

Could this be anything to do with recent events? Can't quite work out how it could be myself. Any views?

Now sat in the airside Alitalia lounge near the D gates at FCO, which is virtually empty, but all the staff look very somber.

Last edited by AirCub1; Apr 26, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by AirCub1
Despite having checked in online, the process seemed painfully slow and there was lots of discussion between staff members as to whether it was still possible to issue a boarding card for the second leg of the flight (even though it isn't AZ operated flight).
Seems like AZ staff is waiting for the grounding any time.

I was then asked for my full address in Italy and the address of where I would be staying in London. I asked why this was being asked for, and I was told that it was a 'new Alitalia regulation'. I reminded her very politely that I was travelling within the European Union, and that I was under no obligation to reveal to AZ where I would be staying in London. She replied that' 'just the name of any hotel will do', so I gave her the name of the first one that popped into my head.

Could this be anything to do with recent events? Can't quite work out how it could be myself. Any views?
It looks like it is indeed connected to the last events. Sounds like that AZ is gaining information about how to contact their customers in case of sudden need.

Now sat in the airside Alitalia lounge near the D gates at FCO, which is virtually empty, but all the staff look very somber.
Maybe coincidence, but you might see this more likely in the future as most passengers have to take into account now that AZ will stop flying. And who wants to be stuck somewhere?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
It looks like it is indeed connected to the last events. Sounds like that AZ is gaining information about how to contact their customers in case of sudden need.

Maybe coincidence, but you might see this more likely in the future as most passengers have to take into account now that AZ will stop flying. And who wants to be stuck somewhere?
Why would AZ care about customers when being grounded? Call centers would be unreachable anyway in that case.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Do you have any other explanation? Maybe, they are making plans for a "controlled" shut-down? Maybe, they are collection this information in case they need and could use it in case things happen rather quickly? Maybe, they are planning to re-book to partner airlines? ...

In this situation, there are many good reasons to collect exactly this information. Better ask now and see at a later point in time if this information is needed or not. Not asking is more problematic and might cause even more problems ...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Scrooge McDuck
In this situation, there are many good reasons to collect exactly this information. Better ask now and see at a later point in time if this information is needed or not. Not asking is more problematic and might cause even more problems ...
... but not for you (the airline), but the customer
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
... 'just the name of any hotel will do', so I gave her the name of the first one that popped into my head.
"Nothing fancy. It's a small inn at the intersection of Constitution Hill and Spur Road" would have been the only acceptable answer.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: ITA
I have AZ reward tickets for September trip to HNL. Really hope I still will be able to take the FCO-LAX leg.
Next week will be travelling LIN-CTA domestic flight. Can the pilots/crew still strike in this situation?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by annaschummi
Can the pilots/crew still strike in this situation?
Knowing the unions they report to, they obviously can, but whether they will, given the circumstances and the fact that the government is not showing any sympathy (like in the past), it is a different matter.

That aside, another member of the cabinet has now confirmed that AZ will be receiving a loan in order to go through the controlled administration, which should last <6 months. A measure which should avoid a swift grounding and safeguard passenger tickets within that time-frame. So, for those of us holding AZ tickets with travel scheduled for the next few weeks and, possibly, to the end of August/September, there shouldn't be bitter surprises.

G
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Knowing the unions they report to, they obviously can, but whether they will, given the circumstances and the fact that the government is not showing any sympathy (like in the past), it is a different matter.

That aside, another member of the cabinet has now confirmed that AZ will be receiving a loan in order to go through the controlled administration, which should last <6 months. A measure which should avoid a swift grounding and safeguard passenger tickets within that time-frame. So, for those of us holding AZ tickets with travel scheduled for the next few weeks and, possibly, to the end of August/September, there shouldn't be bitter surprises.

G
what if the EU does not approve the loan?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: ITA
to the end of August/September, there shouldn't be bitter surprises.
G
I think I might get stuck in Hawaii: inbound September 6th, outbound September 23rd
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
what if the EU does not approve the loan?
According to what one of the ministers said, the government would be allowed to concede that loan under EU guidelines, which would class it as a legal aid package and given that 10 years have now lapsed since the last state-funded intervention in terms of subsidies for the struggling carrier. The minister (Calenda) also said that this would be carefully negotiated with the EU itself, even before an application is made, to make sure that the loan is granted with adherence to current community's regulations. It is painfully obvious, though, that failure to agree on terms [with the EU] would brisk things up in terms of ceasing operation by the end of the forthcoming month.

G
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM Elite Plus, Aegean
Alitalia flights in May

The Italian minister of transport has officially announced the injection of 300M€ of state funds, which will serve to avoid an otherwise imminent grounding. Graziano Delrio has also clearly dismissed any rumours suggesting a potential nationalisation, reiterating that the funds in question will only facilitate the job of the special commissioner (yet to be announced), who will be given a 6-month's time-frame to either wrap things up basically (alias liquidation) or to find other investors, with the latter being, frankly, mission impossible.

G
Am I right in assuming this is good news short term? I am flying Alitalia on Delta metal from Bos - Fco -Ath on May 12/13 and returning May 18. Delta won't do anything unless Alitalia shows up in their notices. Thanks! I've read every article I could this morning, but this gave me the most hope that Alitalia will continue to fly through May since I don't want to lose my hotel costs which have to be cancelled by this weekend.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by annaschummi
I think I might get stuck in Hawaii: inbound September 6th, outbound September 23rd
I can certainly think of worse places to be stuck at!

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.