Status Match extension

Old Mar 13, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HH:Diamond, Marriott: Platinum, IHG: Diamond Ambassador
Status Match extension

Having had a status match to MilleMiglia to Skyteam Elite Plus status this will expire at the end of the month.
Does anybody have any experience of being able to get this extended? I've not actually taken any Alitalia flights but have credited KLM flights to my account. Would be handy for using Etihad.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Status matches are usually done once a lifetime...

I would understand to ask AZ for an extension, if you did not qualify your status by a few missing miles. But it you did not credit a single AZ flight to your MM account, your chances are zero for any status extension...
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:43 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You have to understand the reason why airlines do status matches to realise why they will not extend your status.

Status matches are intended for frequent flyers in a different programme (eg BA), who wish to switch to another programme - in this case Alitalia. Without a status match that person would have to start from scratch without any elite perks for the first flights (Until status is acquired through flying). The status match is meant to bridge that gap.

If you requested a status match and then did not meet requalification levels, that means that you never intended to actually switch over your business to Alitalia/Skyteam. A few KLM flights will only confirm that, as those were most likely only the result of using the acquired status when Skyteam flights were cheaper/better suited than BA. Those flights would have cost Alitalia money (Lounge access is not free!). Therefore they would not make the mistake again to give out status while you have shown to not intend to actually switch your business to Alitalia/Skyteam. You lost the chance to prove your willingness to switch by not meeting requalification levels at this point.

And as posted above; Status matches are once in a lifetime. Choose wisely when and where you request a match - as not requalifying for the matched status may have wasted an opportunity to match later on when you actually do need it.

Last edited by Xandrios; Mar 18, 2017 at 5:55 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by adfg
Does anybody have any experience of being able to get this extended? I've not actually taken any Alitalia flights but have credited KLM flights to my account.
Yes, I extended mine by putting my Alitalia, Jet Airways, KLM, Etihad and Delta flights in my Alitalia account.

That was the deal - they give over a year's status for free, and to extend your status, it's up to you to do the flying.

Can you explain what benefit there would be to Alitalia to extend your status when you seem to not have put much business their way?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.