FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alitalia | MilleMiglia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia-635/)
-   -   Future of Alitalia - 2017 edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alitalia-millemiglia/1822477-future-alitalia-2017-edition.html)

spongenotbob Feb 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Future of Alitalia - 2017 edition

Considering booking AZ for June 2017 (short-haul) but a bit hesitant from all the fear-mongering in the press about AZ's finances.

It's hard for me to tell... just how bad is AZ's financial condition currently? Is there truly a chance they may not be operating by then?

Thanks FT!

AlicorporateUK Feb 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 27913590)
just how bad is AZ's financial condition currently? Is there truly a chance they may not be operating by then?

Very bad, even though I doubt they'll go belly-up but, still, they have recently been cutting a significant number of routes and it appears that they will be dismissing even more in the months to come (there are rumours of some important management changes in the pipeline). Would you mind sharing where you're planning to go as we may be able to advise further (more-or-less)?

G

spongenotbob Feb 15, 2017 1:26 pm

LHR-FCO round-trip

BA is obviously the alternate, but currently double the cost of AZ...

Thanks!

TBD Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 27913803)
LHR-FCO round-trip

BA is obviously the alternate, but currently double the cost of AZ...

Thanks!

Buy the AZ ticket ... and trip insurance?

AlicorporateUK Feb 15, 2017 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 27913803)
LHR-FCO

A heavily reduced route over the years (AZ used to have ~15 services from LHR to FCO/LIN/MXP, currently only 3 daily to FCO and 2 to LIN) but still one of the most important in the whole network hence I'd easily go for it.

G

Dieuwer Feb 15, 2017 1:47 pm

How about FCO-TLV?

AlicorporateUK Feb 15, 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer (Post 27913929)
How about FCO-TLV?

Fine - exactly like LHR, LCY (from LIN), CAI, IKA etc., probably the most profitable in AZ's medium-haul network (it used to have a few frequencies with 330 a couple of years back, exactly like IKA as we speak).

G

rickg523 Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Hi. I have an domestic flight - NAP-LIN scheduled for June. Just booked it last week.
Should I be considering a train as well?

AlicorporateUK Feb 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 27914003)
Hi. I have an domestic flight - NAP-LIN scheduled for June. Just booked it last week.
Should I be considering a train as well?

Again, I wouldn't worry (this is a shuttle route with nearly 10 daily services - no risk of closure).

G

rickg523 Feb 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 27914031)
Again, I wouldn't worry (this is a shuttle route with nearly 10 daily services - no risk of closure).

G

Thanks. Until I saw this thread, I wasn't at all concerned. In fact, I was celebrating the great deal I'd found.. 15€ less than the train and hours less time.
:)

spongenotbob Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK (Post 27913855)
A heavily reduced route over the years (AZ used to have ~15 services from LHR to FCO/LIN/MXP, currently only 3 daily to FCO and 2 to LIN) but still one of the most important in the whole network hence I'd easily go for it.

G

Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Hard to grasp how any airline could operate LHR-FCO for USD 77 per leg, of which USD 63 is supposedly taxes, leaving USD 14 for the "fare paid".

Hence the topic of this thread...

Ditto Feb 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 27914213)
Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Hard to grasp how any airline could operate LHR-FCO for USD 77 per leg, of which USD 63 is supposedly taxes, leaving USD 14 for the "fare paid".

Hmm not quite, 16$ of that "tax" is YR surcharge which goes to the airline...
And of course there are only that many tickets sold for such a price on each flight.

keitherson Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by spongenotbob (Post 27914213)
Just booked AZ. Thanks!

Because Ryanair flies from Stanton to Ciampino for 20GBP and Norwegian flies Gatwick to Fiumicino for 30GBP.

Do you think these airlines are about to go bankrupt?

AlicorporateUK Feb 16, 2017 2:47 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 27915861)
Because Ryanair flies from Stanton to Ciampino for 20GBP and Norwegian flies Gatwick to Fiumicino for 30GBP.

Do you think these airlines are about to go bankrupt?

Indeed - and I wish AZ could do even a tiny, minuscule percentage of profits normally reported by one of the above mentioned carriers (i.e. FR) :)

G

newflyer530 Feb 16, 2017 8:11 am

What about SCL-FCO in early May?