Bid for upgrade

Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
Just booked my cheapest Alitalia long-haul flight ever. Booked a round trip from TLV to JNB via FCO in Y for 333$.
Was offered the following minimum bids:
TLV-FCO from Y to EU J 160EUR.
FCO-JNB Y to W 120EUR, Y to J 350 EUR.
Same prices for the return.

TLV-FCO offer seems ridiculously high for an empty middle seat.
Long-haul seems like a good price for both W and J. Very tempted to bid just a bit over the minimum since the flight seems really empty anyway so worst case scenario I will probably have a row of Y seats all for myself.

Anyone noticed how empty the flights to JNB seem to be?
I was just jumping on to point out the insanity of 165 euro from TLV-FCO as well. Insanity.

I was thinking it would be 50 based on the long haul options.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, M&M FTL, AZ Ulisse
Originally Posted by MrDplus
I'll fly SOF-FCO in a couple weeks, and decided to try the upgrade bidding process. Lowest acceptable offer is €45, and highest is €175. I initially bid €95, which is the lowest one within the 'Good' range, but after reading that someone here on a comparable flight got their offer for €45 accepted, I decided to change it. Hopefully it works, and I'll report back.

But, that led me to think if perhaps there could be a wiki so that we can use previous experiences to help our bidding. I know there are some similar wikis for other airlines. Thoughts?
I took two years ago a SOF-FCO (that I paid 33 euro) and I offered 45euro for the upgrade. It was accepted.
I have to say that check-in agent wasn't really informed about how it works the upgrade system. "you have an economy ticket" "oh no, is it a business one, but you can't check a bag" At the time I also had a Ulisse status. If I remember well that summer the AZ flight was something new in SOF.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by FlyingFrancesco
IIf I remember well that summer the AZ flight was something new in SOF.
AFAIK AZ 520/521 have operated more or less since probs the early 90's if not earlier... but I suspect your experience was more related tot he ground handling agent who is highly unlikely to know how to handle the upgrade - I believe a few years ago AZ switched form native AZ personal to an outsourcer...
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by goodandclassy
AFAIK AZ 520/521 have operated more or less since probs the early 90's if not earlier
Exactly, not to mention that there were also a couple of daily flights from/to Malpensa up to (roughly) 2006 (MD80s used to operate the route).

G
Old May 14, 2019, 8:39 am

please forgive me if this was answered before.
I am booked on a IEV - FCO in Business + FCO - YYZ in Premium Economy and back. Need XP points in FlyingBlue to reach Gold... should get 70 XP for this trip.
If i upgrade both long hauls to Business (btw its shows min of 160e, 245e a "Good" offer, 290e "Strong", 355e "Excellent" and 410 MAX), will i still get the 70 XP in FlyingBlue for this itinerary (edited: sorry, what i meant is will i still get at least my 70XP... at least 70 from the original is enough for me)?

thanks a lot

Last edited by barman2891; May 14, 2019 at 10:29 am
Old May 14, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, M&M FTL, AZ Ulisse
Not sure if your upgraded flight will be able to credit miles on your account. Usually, AZ changes the booking class to Z (award flight) and you get only the miles of the original reservation.
But I don't know how it works with Flying Blue (I had a Millemiglia account)
Old May 14, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingFrancesco
Not sure if your upgraded flight will be able to credit miles on your account. Usually, AZ changes the booking class to Z (award flight) and you get only the miles of the original reservation.
But I don't know how it works with Flying Blue (I had a Millemiglia account)
if i get the miles and XP (most important) of the original reservation - that is fine with me, i have the needed 70 XP there to begin with... the main thing for me is not to have the situation where i will get 0 XP for these flights ...
Old May 14, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: QF gold, AF/KL platinum, exMA gold :( exSK gold
March 2019 received the original Y amount, 5 XP FCO-BUD, my bid was 40 EUR.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by zik013
(edited: sorry, what i meant is will i still get at least my 70XP... at least 70 from the original is enough for me)
Not automatically. As others have said, your ticket will likely be changed to a class that Flying Blue will give no credit for.

However, if you supply the original e-ticket, and the email confirmations of your upgrade, then Flying Blue should credit you for the miles/XPs of the class originally booked but not flown.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Not automatically. As others have said, your ticket will likely be changed to a class that Flying Blue will give no credit for.

However, if you supply the original e-ticket, and the email confirmations of your upgrade, then Flying Blue should credit you for the miles/XPs of the class originally booked but not flown.
so i should not worry about it messing up my Gold qualification?
thanks
Old May 17, 2019, 8:08 am

I got miles and XP in FB credited whitina few days after flights based on my original booking. The upgraded E was not respected, I received miles for booked classes X and S.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I don't think AZ offer PE BOS-FCO. Does this mean people can bid to upgrade from cheapest economy to business? If so, how much should the bids be?
Old May 19, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nologic
I don't think AZ offer PE BOS-FCO. Does this mean people can bid to upgrade from cheapest economy to business? If so, how much should the bids be?
normally Alitalia do offer PE on BOS-FCO

there is not any “rule” on bidding to business upgrade. It can be 200 € as 2.000 € ...

Business class on BOS-FCO is normally very expensive if not booked a lot of months in advance
Old May 30, 2019, 1:08 pm

New datapoint for anyone who may care. I'm booked PE JFK-FCO in a week and a half. Just got an email offering the bidding opportunity. The lowest amount they'll let me bid is €290 per person and I don't get to "good" on the offer strength meter until I get to 345. Strong is €380. I'm sure it would be nice but I'm going to pass.

I booked my return flight as a DL codeshare and the site is showing not eligible for upgrade. Not sure if it's because it's too far our or because I booked it as DL.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Data point:
LAX-FCO AZ621 5/18 777-200 Me & spouse on the same ticket. Bid E315 for Premium Econ (Classica Plus) 2 weeks out with 8 open seats. Rejected at T-8hr. Flt flew with 1 open seat in PE
FCO-LAX AZ620 5/31 777-200 Me & spouse on the same ticket. Bid E440 (maximum) for Premium Econ (Classica Plus) 1 week out with 5 open seats. Accepted at T-48hr. Flt flew with 1 open seat in PE
Note: this ticket was so cheap ($1000 RT) we had to pay E50 for each bag at check-in even after getting the upgrade. Fare class may have affected our rank in the upgrade bid process, though I have no evidence. Unfortunately I also do not have a fare class.

Anecdotally met a girl who upgraded to business for E700 from econ on LAX-FCO AZ621 5/18

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.