Bid for upgrade

Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
If only a minor data point, was told by an Alitalia agent that to be eligible for the "Bid for Upgrade" offer for a long-haul segment in Premium Economy, it must be booked in "P" .

And yes, +1, to the above posts on the sad state of the website/mobile app.....
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by skye1
If only a minor data point, was told by an Alitalia agent that to be eligible for the "Bid for Upgrade" offer for a long-haul segment in Premium Economy, it must be booked in "P" .

And yes, +1, to the above posts on the sad state of the website/mobile app.....
bid for upgrade also worked from the cheapo premium economy tickets ("A"-class). however a mileage upgrade or an upgrade via upgrade voucher is only possible from booking class "P".
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
bid for upgrade also worked from the cheapo premium economy tickets ("A"-class). however a mileage upgrade or an upgrade via upgrade voucher is only possible from booking class "P".
That’s also my understanding. It’s a shame they’re so restrictive - I have enough miles sitting in my account to upgrade from PE to J, but alas am booked in A class. I called AZ and they confirmed I could only upgrade from P using miles.

If my bid for upgrade doesn’t work I will ask again at check in both in LHR and FCO. Are there any data points about AUPs?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:32 pm

Hey everyone, I'm flying GRU-FCO in two weeks and am willing to upgrade to Business, but I'm not sure how much to try.
At this moment there are 13 empty seats (out of 44) and the minimum bid is €480 - is the minimum likely enough or should I try higher?
Thanks a lot!!!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Felipe A. N. de Oliveira
Hey everyone, I'm flying GRU-FCO in two weeks and am willing to upgrade to Business, but I'm not sure how much to try.
At this moment there are 13 empty seats (out of 44) and the minimum bid is €480 - is the minimum likely enough or should I try higher?
Thanks a lot!!!
Hi Felipe. Advice elsewhere on this forum suggests that bidding above the minimum - even by €5 or €10 - increases your chances. Boa sorte and if you do get upgraded, enjoy the flight! I flew this route a year ago and the experience was fantastic!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue

Hi Felipe. Advice elsewhere on this forum suggests that bidding above the minimum - even by €5 or €10 - increases your chances. Boa sorte and if you do get upgraded, enjoy the flight! I flew this route a year ago and the experience was fantastic!
Hi OxfordBlue! Thank you very much for your hint. I'll definitely try it out and will post whether the upgrade was successful or not. Muito obrigado - Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Hi OxfordBlue! Thank you very much for your hint. I'll definitely try it out and will post whether the upgrade was successful or not. Muito obrigado - Thanks a lot!
Bom dia Felipe... did you find out yet? I fly on Tuesday, J still has many seats empty so I am hopeful.

Does anyone else know if they will process the upgrade at any price if there are still free seats at H-24?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:23 pm

Bom dia Felipe... did you find out yet? I fly on Tuesday, J still has many seats empty so I am hopeful.

Does anyone else know if they will process the upgrade at any price if there are still free seats at H-24?
UPDATE - Hey OxfordBlue! Great news, I just got the upgrade in the 48H mark. I paid 575, but possibly less could suffice. As I wanted it so bad, I preferred not to risk it. Excited for the flight! boa sorte on your bid!!
OxfordBlue likes this.

Last edited by Felipe A. N. de Oliveira; Jan 17, 2019 at 1:37 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:45 pm

UPDATE - Hey OxfordBlue! Great news, I just got the upgrade in the 48H mark. I paid 575, but possibly less could suffice. As I wanted it so bad, I preferred not to risk it. Excited for the flight! boa sorte on your bid!!
have a wonderful flight! Recommendation: do take the menu with the wine pairing, it’s very well thought out and very well matched. Enjoy!

Oh... and if you are travelling alone, take 1L if available (super privacy) or any A/L seat. By the window, table between you and the cabin, and very nicely isolated. The C and J seats are more exposed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Can't find the answer on this board, so can somebody please advise if an upgrade on a ticket LIN-AMS includes lounge access in Milan?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by quinzinho
an upgrade on a ticket LIN-AMS includes lounge access in Milan?
Yes, it does (FYI — there are 2 lounges at Linate).

G
quinzinho likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:53 am

Success!

Delighted to report that my bid for €290 from PE to J on FCO-GRU was accepted today, exactly on T-48 hours.

J cabin of 30 seats was less than half full so it seems common sense is being applied. It’s quite a lot fuller now - just 9 unassigned seats. PE also looks busier, the seat I had is taken along with a bunch of others so ppl also moving up from Y.

The plusgrade system is great. I wish BA used it!
AlicorporateUK and f0zzyNUE like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:19 am

Delighted to report that my bid for €290 from PE to J on FCO-GRU was accepted today, exactly on T-48 hours.

J cabin of 30 seats was less than half full so it seems common sense is being applied. It’s quite a lot fuller now - just 9 unassigned seats. PE also looks busier, the seat I had is taken along with a bunch of others so ppl also moving up from Y.

The plusgrade system is great. I wish BA used it!
Enjoy ^

G
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Just booked my cheapest Alitalia long-haul flight ever. Booked a round trip from TLV to JNB via FCO in Y for 333$.
Was offered the following minimum bids:
TLV-FCO from Y to EU J 160EUR.
FCO-JNB Y to W 120EUR, Y to J 350 EUR.
Same prices for the return.

TLV-FCO offer seems ridiculously high for an empty middle seat.
Long-haul seems like a good price for both W and J. Very tempted to bid just a bit over the minimum since the flight seems really empty anyway so worst case scenario I will probably have a row of Y seats all for myself.

Anyone noticed how empty the flights to JNB seem to be?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:42 pm

I booked my flights from PRG to JNB via FCO well in advance and immediately went for the Plusgrade offer.
They required 50 EUR for short-haul segment PRG - FCO - I offered 60 and never got an upgrade.
For FCO - JNB they required around 420 EUR, I offered 480 and got my upgrade from economy to business exactly 48 hours before departure, at the time when check-in opened. I was able to select the seat and I am looking for enjoying the flight.
Just reminder - as you upgrade the long-haul leg, also the short-haul segment has Skypriority tag, so you will be able to enjoy fast track and priority boarding so I think there is no need for the upgrade on short-haul segments.

Safe travels!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.